Backing up PC's, laptops etc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AngerManagement said:
Mackka said:
Thanks mate but you should be lookin after yourself rather than answering my questions. I pray you will be home soon mate.
Mackka

Back home and just about to get my son to removed the stitches... Drs later this week to follow up as to long term prognosis.

PS. Application I / We used when doing IT was Acronis. The version I owned (11.7) is now just out of support, but was great. The later version seem to be OK but no first hand experience with the later versions.

An image is great for when the HDD dies... New HDD - re image and system is usually good to go... Hate spending days trying to reset up apps and programs and licence keys etc... So an image restore is a no brainier..

Stitches look a bit mean - every scare tells a life story LOL.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...760/1545828463_2018-12-26_19.08.24_medium.jpg

Geez, how did that happen?

Cloud is the safest. And I'm not talking about TB's worth of data. If that is your case then look at enterprise solutions, but it will get exxy storing all your movies and series on there. Unless you are a mega sized business and need TB's of storage.
I have my pics and a few important docs up there. Nothing that can have my id stolen. It's a couple of hundred gig.
Cloud storage is cheap these days and gives peace of mind and can be accessed from anywhere.

Barring that, build yourself a NAS using FreeNAS. Setup a raid 5 or 10 or whatever you fancy and you are pretty safe with lots of redundancy. Or you can purchase ready made ones, they are easy and simple to set up.
Even then, one good power spike and everything can get cooked.
Look at whatever is really important to you as in pics that provide memories etc. In the end it really will not be that much. Cloud storage is cheap and easily accessible.

All the best.

Update, took the plunge today and TRIED to backup my pc.
After 2hours and 50 minutes, pc tells me unable to complete backup. Got 366 Gb down but then it stopped.
Still plenty of room on the EHD.
Next stop is to phone our computer guy and get him over home to check the system and update it.
No info lost so that is a good thing.
I will keep all informed as to what happens next
Mackka

Even tho my laptop is stuffed,

I have kept it,

It has all the prospector information that I have collected,

Maps , research on places to look for gold, etc ,

Two years of research,

As I will get the hard drive removed so I can get the information from it,

I think I might of backed it up on my portable hard drive,

But unsure as I don't have anything to plug it into,

Will take it up to the library soon...

Goody :)

Hey Goody,
That is another issue I have, I dont trust technology.
I always think that someone/something has the opportunity to get information from me. I open my computer and find adds for items that I enquired about days ago.
Would I take an EHD to another computer, no, not ever but that is just me as I dont trust stuff.
Mackka

I will take it to someone that I trust Mackka,

Like you I don't trust many people,

I been looking in where I keep my bits for the laptop.

And I am pretty sure I put all the prospectors stuff on to a USB stick...

Will take it to the library to see if it is,

Because if it is it has saved me two years of research,

Like everyone says back up your work..

Goody

Thanks for the offer AM and I might take you up on that if the bloke who built it cannot solve the issue.
You take care of yourself mate and get well soon.
Kind Regards
Mackka

Tathradj said:
Have used this before,
Pretty good bit of kit. :)
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

I have used a raft of different backup methods during my 48 years of playing with computers, but the EaseUS tools looks like it may be a good addition to the toolbox, so I am trialling it out on my new Windows Surface as it is now my goto computer.

I will provide a bit more feedback once I have hopefully successfully completed a backup, but do not plan to attempt a recovery to test those features.

A couple of the other backup tools that I use (and will continue to do so) are -
- A separate external hard disk to backup all of my photos, as they are important to me
- Web based Dropbox, folders for a range of files that I may need access to while on the move (from my phone, etc)
- I also give shared access to several Dropbox folders to folk that I do volunteer work with (both Apps and data).

So far getting to be able to enter my licence key on the application was a bit frustrating, but it ended up being me rather than the application causing the issue. Am part way through doing a system backup at the moment so will get back later with any findings.

Rob P

Ok, I did a quicker system backup using EasUS to a C: drive file just as a test, then a full backup to an external 1TB drive. Both completed successfully with t external taking longer of course, so I then deleted the test backup on the C: drive.

I haven't decided yet if I will continue using my former Windows based system backup, or just the EaseUS, as I am always a bit wary of relying on new (to me) applications.

I have not tried any of the other functionality available, but at least I now know that it is there if needed.

Rob P.

I agree on the trust thing.
You have to be very careful these days.
There has been instances where people's
private photo's have ended up on the internet.
When I perform a task like this for folk's,
I give them the media used to do it.
I run a HP server that is not connected to the
internet Raid 10 with 6 drives and that does my
backup for all my machines in my work shop.

I create a directory and back my clients data to
it and when they confirm that all is good, I delete it.

Rather surprising the amount of virus's and Trojans
that try and sneak through off a persons hdd. O:)

I've had my desktop for a few years now and I have never had the need to format my hard drive/s.
Important files are always backed up to a flash drive or DVD.
But one thing I always do is a system clean up. I do this every evening before shutting my computer down.
First -
I use the Disk Cleanup tool that comes with Windows operating systems.
(Find it on the drive where your system files are. In my case C:\Windows\System32. It is called cleanmgr.exe)
When you find it, right click it and select "Pin to Taskbar". Now its icon will always be available at the bottom of your screen).
Note: If you are using this tool for the first time, it may take a while to complete it's task. But afterward, if you use it every day it will only takes a few seconds.
Second -
I use a free app called Wise Care 365. This app has a shite load of tools to keep your system clean and running smoothly - and they run at the click of a button. The premium version of this app will give you even more tools.
Most important of all, is to have a good security suite. The free anti-virus apps are fine but limited in what they do.
I use Bitdefender. The experts always rate this suite as top or near top of the list in computer protection. It has a large package of built in utilities and it is easy to install and use. One of it's best apps is called Safepay. This allows you to do your online banking in complete safety by providing a virtual keyboard to prevent key logging by hackers. For a couple of dollars extra you can get Bitdefender's VPN tool which hides your online activity.

I don't use EHD's. I once bought a WD (Western Digital) EHD, copied all my files, family photos, etc on to it so they could be transferred to a new computer I'd bought. When I tried to upload to the new machine the EHD proved faulty. All the files were unrecoverable. An online search showed that people all over the world were having the same problem as I. The company ignored everyone's complaints and kept right on selling the very same HD. They didn't give a damn.
(And I'd formatted the hard drive of the old machine before disposing of it.)

I should have said -
When my Bitdefender comes up for renewal I usually get emails from two different companies.
The Australian retailer and the Scandinavian parent company.
The parent company is always half the price of the Aussie retailer. (around $45 compared to about $95).

Mackka said:
Question, when you use an external hard drive to backup your system, does it save everything on the main drive?
When you backup the second,third time etc just it just backup the new stuff of the whole thing again?
All help appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation
Mackka :Y:
Can I just go back to my original question and ask it again please?
Mackka

Mackka

It depends on what you ask to backup...

Many backup apps will look at the My Documents folder for eg and ignore all other dir's - Best to set the locations / data that you wish to back up...

Then you also need to set the backup location as yes, some apps will backup to your HDD and you need to set the location of the backup i.e. External or another HDD. You should never backup a HDD and places the backup on that same HDD.

Then again it depends on what your settings are for the next backup - Full Back Up / Differential / Incremental . They all have pros and cons.

Thanks again AM.
Info is much appreciated.
It is my own fault that I dont know this stuff as I am so concerned about losing my photos , that I am afraid to try anything that may destroy them.
As mentioned before if my IT guy cannot sort it out I will definitely give you a pm. Thanks again
Mackka

All good...

The thing is to not start doing shit... If the Hard Drive is SUSS the last thing to do is Defrags and or deep cleans and or cleaning the drive ...

Leave it alone...

When doing recovery etc the first thing should be a nice clean full IMAGE.... That way you have a backup and you now have a HDD to archive and an Image to restore to a new Hard Drive...

Latest posts