Australia Critters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe.....your right Jamie about scorpions being harmless here, the sting pain will only last about six hours if your not allergic.

Not many will admit or experience it, but Its the bull-ants i fear more when digging....the 1" bullet ants got me good not long ago, and i felt it for about 2 days!

Faaaark i was sore.

I fear them more than spiders, snakes or drop bears.

Cheers

I love'em all. I'm happy to pick up small huntsman's with my hands(bout the size of my hand) as seen in pic. Not so keen when the bigger ones rear up. But I had six Vic scorpions as pets(from a reptile shop) eighteen years ago and had one that refused to give birth until separated from the rest. Ultimately had to rear ten baby's for over twelve months with aphids. Great experience. But the one in the pic was next level???
The "gecko" in my pics is an ole mate from Lake Tyers, who has a tendency to raid garbage bags. It's taller/longer than me with my son on my shoulder's (I'm 176cm) and sports a gouge on its back as big as ya hand, just below it's back legs clearly showing its spine. All scar tissue now and probably done by a shovel. Not good.. I come across Tigers an a regular basis when fishing and have never have had an issue? The ugliest things i see are those massive redish looking orb weaving spiders up in the GT? The ones with webs strong enough to almost stop ya :eek: :eek: :eek: and are always at face level, I seem to always be walking towards them from the underneath side of the web, so the idea of that crawling over my face is just UGLY. Give me a Redback anyday. :D

"The ones with webs strong enough to almost stop ya and are always at face level"

I walked into one of those webs just out of Bendigo recently. Had not seen one until then. At first i thought someone had strung fishing line between the trees. Was hard to concentrate on the ground after that. They seemed to be everywhere.

petere said:
"The ones with webs strong enough to almost stop ya and are always at face level"

I walked into one of those webs just out of Bendigo recently. Had not seen one until then. At first i thought someone had strung fishing line between the trees. Was hard to concentrate on the ground after that. They seemed to be everywhere.

I know the ones your talking about
but that was nothing
when i moved to cairns, these golden orb spiders a huge
muuuuucccchhh bigger than a huntsman,
and YES they are right at face level, and could easy be as big as your face
and holy crap, do you do the ninja spider dance when you do walk into one of them, and get out of the way quick smart

XIV said:
petere said:

I know the ones your talking about
but that was nothing
when i moved to cairns, these golden orb spiders a huge
muuuuucccchhh bigger than a huntsman,
and YES they are right at face level, and could easy be as big as your face
and holy crap, do you do the ninja spider dance when you do walk into one of them, and get out of the way quick smart
I call it an "Arachnaleptic fit" :D

Watch the ants also, these ones can kill some people........ Errr seriously no joke, they have a venomous stinger in their tail.

1432523577_myrmecia.jpg

1432523882_myrmecia2.jpg

1432523882_myrmecia3.jpg

Once many moons ago, when I was about 19. I was riding my old KTM 300 out the back of Marysville, middle of winter and coming down a really greasy red clay track in the mist. I've come around a negative camber right hander and my front tyre has washed out on me. I've hit the deck and my right arm has taken a lot of the fall. So I'm sitting on the ground with my RH shoulder f#@&ing killing me, when I've looked down to see a moving black carpet of jumping jacks all coming to the defence of their queen and nest. My body armor had scraped the top inch of the surface of the nest.. Their were hundreds of'em bouncing every were around me!! In the blink of an eye I've jumped up screaming to my mate to help me get my armor off, as I could feel them biting my back and my shoulder was cained.. A couple of minutes later there's me down to jocks standing on a track in drizzling rain in about 4 degree temperature methodically checking my gear? A sight for sore eyes I'm sure. After all that I only ended with half a dozen bites on lower back where I'd scooped up the dirt and jumping jacks make me more itchy than anything. But still it was a freaky sight. Still put a smile of my face when I think about.. Funny stuff ;)

:D , Lee

You poor bugger, those Jack Jumpers are evil, my mate got nailed by a couple one day and had a bad reaction to them, needed to carry an EipPen while he was out on his property.His lips swelled up and the bite site loked like it had a cricket ball under his skin.

Copping 6 stings would have hurt like hell, you must not be allergic or you would have need to go to hospital mate.

Na, no pain(no brain)? I just get itchy. Really itchy!!!

But what ever bit me this time, hurt like hell! Got me twice. Sorry bout the gut... Just need to overlay some contour lines on that image aye ;)
1432549535_optimized-img_2161.jpg

:lol: :lol:

yobskin said:
Hey Rotgrub "no offence" mate but ive worked in LA and Mexico and id rather spend a week in our bush armed with only a can of bug spray and bundgie smugglers then live with all you gun totten tweekers..... hahahaha i honestly believe you are safer with the bears and cougars...then the burbs. Nice thread mate

No offence taken yobskin. LA is the butt-hole of CA. It is littered with crazies. San Francisco is no better. I'm about 40 miles east of SF on the outskirts of what we call the Bay Area. Still ranches and somewhat normal people. Given the circumstances it is far better to have the correct survival equipment than to wish you did...

kawman said:
Aborigines can hunt/fish anything any where in Australia and eat it... they can dig holes anywhere as well.. usualy with me looking over his shoulder in case there is something else in the hole besides the witchety grubs he eats... :)

Kawman, you are very resourceful and considerate watching over your mates...

Chewy said:
Yeah, not a big fan of huntsman spiders. The dopey ones are ok, you know those slow moving ones. Every now and then ya get 1 of those bugga's that run around like they're on speed, they freak me out a bit. I shot one in my bedroom with the slug gun once when I was about 14. Biiiiiiig bugga! :eek:

True story; many years ago my sister and her dim husband woke up to find a large tarantula spider crawling on the kitchen floor. They freaked out and locked themselves into the bedroom. These spiders are about 4-5" so smashing it was out of the question. People say they are not dangerous but I disagree... These geniuses came up with the worst plan ever. They boiled water in a pan and threw it on the spider... It leaped straight up causing Brian to flip over backwards over a chair and broke his front tooth.... Their next plan was to call the police.... These types of critters have magical powers and can cause humans to hurt themselves on sight alone!

Vaccum Cleaners work everytime, just suck the Bugger up and then shove a tissue into the nonzzle to stop it getting out.

Just pick him/her up using a glass and paper.
Then relocate the lost wee beastie outside where they can roam and do their job..
I wonder how they would go in the bush around 6pm when the spiders start to drop from the trees :)

Latest posts