Are old Railway lines worth detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with following a closed down rail line. Apart from a long walk in the the fresh air how far each side of the tracks would be hopefully fruitful. Anyone done this.
Cheers

I should clarify I'm thinking of areas that are rural & remote where the trains & lines closed down many years ago.the
I remember growing up in a small rural town and a lot of old/odd blokes would walk along the tracks to where they lived, carrying a sugar bag.
Just thinking there would have been workers who built the tracks, over the years lots of activity.
Only one way to find out.w

When reading about the history of the railways and gold around Pine Creek, Grove Hill & Spring Hill in the NT there were quite a few references to gold being found during laying of the rail tracks. In more recent times small amounts have been scratched up from the same areas. Member DAVENT may have more information. All I found was a few old bottles but saw some awesome countryside.

7.62marksman said:
dont forget the closed down stations or sidings
classic example is when they closed the line from Cooma NSW south to Bombala there are a few Stations along that line you can still get to

Hello,everyone.I am living in Santa Marta Colombia.I swing an Excal 1000. and a Explorer xs.
Here's an Idea I saw some time back.Along the Rail Lines(in the US) they would hunt for the Old Stations,with a Dump out back.Finding broken Porcelain Chinaware with the Name of the Line and nice Logos Printed on them.They would collect them and return home to their Workshops.They would grind them into Cabochons and mount them in Silver Pendants.Real Nice.Ken.

Bobh said:
When reading about the history of the railways and gold around Pine Creek, Grove Hill & Spring Hill in the NT there were quite a few references to gold being found during laying of the rail tracks. In more recent times small amounts have been scratched up from the same areas. Member DAVENT may have more information. All I found was a few old bottles but saw some awesome countryside.

Ken again.Some Tracks were Laid using Gravel from old Tailings Piles,if there were Mines nearby.

Latest posts