Anyone made their own gold pick and advise?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had worn out my commercial pick, but the handle was still in good condition. So I cut back the worn out pick end, cut a new blade from a plough disk, welded a small cold chisel to the point of the blade and then drilled and bolted this onto the handle. I can now replace the blade when it wears out (see photo)
1457762811_img_20160311_102436.jpg

Here is the two picks with fiberglass handles,the rubber on the handles make them nice to use.

y50Wkl8l.jpg

Regards Frank

Tathradj said:
I also think you will be wrapping the handle on that with rubber shortly. :)
Stops the shock of hitting the ground traveling up past your shoulders.
Especially in hard ground. :)

Yes you're right with the rubber :) Sometimes the handle wants to turn on impact, which makes the corner of the rhs bang into the base of the index finger. So I think round steel would have been better than rhs, although; unpadded, I think it would still turn too easily (steel is slippery) if it wanted to unless a tighter grip was used, but that would get tiresome and cause shocks up the arm :)

How thick are the plough discs ? Once the heads are cut and shaped is the much weight to them ?

Here are some I have made , some from leaf springs and a couple of half spring and half plow disc .I prefer a heavier pick so I made one all from spring steel . But a bit lighter if you make the pointy end from leaf spring and the wide end from plow disc . They all work well , and quite easy to make , and strong , I have never bent or broken one .

Regards Bruce
1457851394_dscn1065.jpg

1457851441_dscn1067.jpg
1457851461_dscn1068.jpg
1457851479_dscn1069.jpg

Shape your wooden handle to fit rather tightly into the receiving boss.
From the top, If using a screw, Drill a small hole the length of the shank of the long screw that you are going to use.
If using wedges, Make a few cuts about 1/4 of the depth of your receiving boss
Only drill the hole to the size of the shank of the screw, Not the thread.
Seat the handle in the receiving boss, right on hard.
Soak the end of the handle with the head for at least a week in a bucket of water.
Take it out then screw the screw in. All the way. Or, drive your wedges in the two cuts.
On the handle end, Drill a deep small hole about 5 mm round, straight down the handle about 5 inch's deep and fill it with linseed oil.
Put a small cork stopper in the hole after you have filled it and let stand upright at all times
Keep filling the hole at least once a month.
The handle will turn brown after a while and if you have used a good quality timber, You will never break it unless you miss use it.
After about 6 months, Only put the oil in once every 6 months.

Latest posts