Anyone know what these are out of the creek?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukem

Luke
Reaction score
The 2 pieces in the middle I'm unsure of what they are. I'd take a rough guess knowing nothing about quartz that they were pieces busting through cracks or something and a flooding has taken the tops off? Rather peculiar because the whiter one has living type base. As if it were a piece of coral that had been picked off. They too close over when they are snapped off and die and leave a tooth like cavity.

thanks guys
1458530070_p3213906.jpg

1458530070_p3213907.jpg

Looks like some Agate probably, mabey Chalcedony but seems more like agate. Nice finds.

Its hard to see from the photo, but if that middle top white rock is 'bubbly' in texture on its surface ( the agate is more opposite with dimples ), its certainly chalcedony. Looks a little like it but hard to see

Keep your eyes open for red, blue..banded agate etc. The bit top left banded agate. Some nearly nodules there

I still feel its agate or chalcedony. If you scratch it with a key or knife does it crumble away like a powder or does it just kind of slip. If it slips its prob agate, if it scratches rather easily its most likely chalcedony. It coukd be many other things but likely to be one of the two

so the first pic shows the hollow base, when you see the change in white colour then it goes solid stone all the way.
Second pic shows the depth of the hole via shadow. As if it once had a living base, kind of like pulling a prawn from its shell.

Just a cavity / cave where gasses or a bubble was at some point. The bottom / middle egg one in my hand is the same, you can just make out the hole. Chalcedony can also do the same thing and I even think part of an agate contains chalcedony as well

I once observed on telle some similar things that were the left overs from hardened arteries where calcification had occured, they explained that when all the tissues break down the calcified bits of the inner lining of the heart arteries closest to the heart (of some poor individuals) are all that is left over ,... id suppose that something like that could undergo replacement after being in the ground for a long time with the stuff of agate, so I'm going with silicified arterial calcification from time immemorial . :D

Latest posts