Anthem ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
They're doing it in the USA - pulling down statues of historical greats so that they can cleanse and then forget their past.
Even changing town names.
Let's even change our country's name as it's far too European FFS.
WA, SA, NT & ACT are safe, but we can't have Queensland, NSW, Vic or Tasmania.
That's going to be a hell of a referendum :D
Then the Chinese will want it to change again.....................
I'm only glad that when they do, I'll be gone - sorry for my children though :(

It has already been cut from 4 verses to 2 verses from the 1878 version, which was all about Britain, and modified a number of times since (e.g. the male "sons").

"When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair".

I think the NSW Premier was only proposing changing a single word. From "young and free" to "one and free". It always struck me as slightly odd that on one hand we talk about this ancient land, and on the other say we are young. There have been 34 new countries created just since 1990, many more since Australian federation - and obviously one cannot be young forever. ;)

And we like to talk about us having one of the few oldest cultures on Earth, which also seems anomalous - they were the original Australians and none too "young".
Not something I feel strongly about - but I have never learnt all the words, simply because I don't find it overly exciting (mind you, I don't think I knew all verses of "God Save the Queen"). Which has been modified a few times as well....

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King".

Rather than holding onto all institutions unchanged (and of course they are frequently changed), I would be happy with anything that everyone liked to sing and which made people feel united.

Goldfreak said:
I think the people who want it changed because its dull greatly out number those who are insulted by it. The media will make you think otherwise though cause that makes a better story.

No not really, It never was meant to a pop song and was written to encourage Pride in a time when esteem was low in times of War, The Media have nothing to do with it, Until you have committed a selfless act for the sake of others then you will never understand why God Save The Queen is important, and in a similar way like respect, It's not demanded or taken, It's earned and until a person has lived that way they will never understand it,

I don't know why we are discussing a political topic on the forum anyway.

Ridge Runner said:
Goldfreak said:
I think the people who want it changed because its dull greatly out number those who are insulted by it. The media will make you think otherwise though cause that makes a better story.

No not really, It never was meant to a pop song and was written to encourage Pride in a time when esteem was low in times of War, The Media have nothing to do with it, Until you have committed a selfless act for the sake of others then you will never understand why God Save The Queen is important, and in a similar way like respect, It's not demanded or taken, It's earned and until a person has lived that way they will never understand it,

I am talking about it because it's in the msm at the moment. Or was yesterday anyway.

Goldfreak said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldfreak said:

I am talking about it because it's in the msm at the moment. Or was yesterday anyway.

I'm good with it mate, It's just one of them topics we have kicked around a few times over the years,

All Good Ay, :Y:

She needs it. Now Victoria's getting better all eyes will be on Sydney and its community transmission.

Latest posts