Another use for gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
News: Gold test for diabetes

Researchers have made a cheap and rapid new test to diagnose type 1 diabetes using a gold-studded glass chip.

Each day, around 280 Australians are diagnosed with diabetes. There are many different types of diabetes, and they are all connected by insulin. Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas, an organ located behind your stomach. It controls how much sugar gets from your blood into the muscles and other cells of the body. Both insulin and sugar are needed to give your cells energy, so diabetes can be very dangerous.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, which means the body is attacking itself. The immune system creates antibodies that target cells in the pancreas, causing damage that stops it making insulin. On the other hand, in type 2 diabetes the body does not attack itself with antibodies, but either the pancreas is damaged by another way, or the muscles and other cells have stopped responding to insulin.

When someone has diabetes, it is not always easy for doctors to know whether it is type 1 or type 2. The test is to look at their blood for the pancreas-targeting antibodies found in type 1 diabetes. This test is quite slow and expensive. Faster and cheaper tests just werent sensitive enough to detect antibodies. To overcome this problem, a team from Stanford University in the USA used nanotechnology.

By placing tiny islands of gold on a glass surface, the team made an amplifier. The fast, cheap tests were now 100 times more sensitive, good enough to detect the antibodies found in type 1 diabetes. Placing just a drop of blood on the gold-studded glass chip would allow a doctor to quickly see if antibodies are there. After trying it out, they found the new nanotech-amplified test was as sensitive as the slower test currently used.

This week is National Diabetes Week in Australia. Though we dont know any way to prevent type 1 diabetes, you can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes by eating plenty of fruit and veg and exercising regularly.

Hi Paydirt, there is some research done by NASA that sounds very promising as far as cure/management of diabetes. Apparently when in space for prolonged time, you are at very high risk of getting diabetes.
I wish they would find something to make life easier for people. My son was diagnosed in 2011 with type one. He is turning 18 in September and thank got he is managing it very well. One of my workmates has a small daughter about 6 or 8 and she is not managing it well at all. She gets hypos all the time and they are worried when she goes to sleep she won't wake up in the morning.
It is a nasty disease.

As a Science teacher all new stuff like this I find fascinating and it all helps to make the relationship of learning in the classroom to the 'real world' more fun, exciting and real. Mum has Type 2, all the best for your son and friends daughter in their struggle.

It does not make sense why they don't even know why you get it. My son is very healthy, not overweight and played rugby so is very fit. No one in my family had diabetes so it is most likely not hereditary. It is just lucky that he was born now and not 100 years ago because he would be not here without insulin.

I'm hearing you BB, we lost our little sis at age 19 from a cerebral hemorrhage - life just ain't fair sometimes.

Latest posts