Another Steve Irwin ???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The video below popped onto my YouTube feed...

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/01hxqbs1vl0[/video]

I can't help think people who go out of their way to handle and generally annoy venemous snakes like this are going to end up as another Steve "Poke iI With A Little Stick" Urwin on a mortuary slab at some point..

Snakes are not my favourite things in the world, but after watching the poor bugger being continually harassed in that, I was kinda rooting for the snake to get a little bit lucky!

1590154592_images.jpg

I don't know why people have to mess with the bloody things, If he want to show one off or handle one then he should go to the places where they extract venom and leave the wild one alone,

Bloody things a lethal as it is so why go and stir it up even more, One thing it did show is how high they can strike so a long set of gators would be a wise investment,

Off screen Steve Irwin was a quiet bloke and just like anyone else, not like what you saw on TV, :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
I don't know why people have to mess with the bloody things, If he want to show one off or handle one then he should go to the places where they extract venom and leave the wild one alone,

Bloody things a lethal as it is so why go and stir it up even more, One thing it did show is how high they can strike so a long set of gators would be a wise investment,

What I got from it was just how much the snake wanted to get away...not really aggressive at all unlike some other species of snake...

I reckon it's a pretty educational video.

Shows you how fast they can be and also shows you should well leave them alone if you come across them.

Plus if you step on one accidentally in long grass or anywhere for that matter you will arrive at "destination fu@*$%" as Aussie Man says on his channel.

But we all now what to do if we are bitten. Right?

As a young bloke l grew up in the mountains in north east Victoria.
And the snakes were more than prolific around the west and east Kiewa rivers we fished.
Tigers, browns, copperheads and red bellies
A couple of mates and myself got the idea to catch and skin the buggers and tan the skins which never happened.
Nearly got our selves bitten more than once.
The brown was the one to really burr up when you tried to catch them.

A mate and myself set some cod lines one night.
The next morning we were walking across the paddock with heavy frost on the ground
There on the ground was a tiger snake with a half grown rabbit halfway down its throat.
It must have caught it the day or night before and taken all night to get it that far.
It amazed me that it was there with the frost.
The main things you'll find in a snakes stomach is frogs and lizards.
I've got more than a few snake stories

Rob was running the family business in Renmark SA when I met him, Kato was handed turtles, snakes, frogs and lizards. She was 4 1/2yrs old.
He was not shy of passing on his perspective about global warming, ozone depletion and mans impact on the world, different than you would expect...

I quite liked the guy actually, he was not silly, just sometimes appeared to be, certainly unique.

A couple of years ago we visited relatives in Renmark and I was very sad to see that the place was closed, it was run down when we were there and
really needed a big cash injection with some tourist marketing just to make it attractive, sad to see it go that way, article below.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...s/news-story/189b8b970b15c3e8aa42ee66d2c6d346

:)

Ridge Runner said:

Off screen Steve Irwin was a quiet bloke and just like anyone else, not like what you saw on TV, :Y:

Dude has done so much for educating the public about reptiles over decades and through his shows, documentaries, school visits etc has probably saved numerous lives not to mention prevented the needless killing of countless snakes.
He doesn't just pull snakes out of the wild, it was removed from a suburban home and released into the wild.

Also Steve Irwin was just as hyper away from the cameras as he was on camera. What you saw on film was just how he was and he was that way since he was a kid.
His father helped set up the reptile park where I grew up as a kid.

madtuna said:
Ridge Runner said:

Dude has done so much for educating the public about reptiles over decades and through his shows, documentaries, school visits etc has probably saved numerous lives not to mention prevented the needless killing of countless snakes.
He doesn't just pull snakes out of the wild, it was removed from a suburban home and released into the wild.

Also Steve Irwin was just as hyper away from the cameras as he was on camera. What you saw on film was just how he was and he was that way since he was a kid.
His father helped set up the reptile park where I grew up as a kid.

I know exactly what he was like because knew him briefly for a few years and saw him most weekends during the early and mid 80's,

I think he bought Australia to the outside world, It's still hard to think he's gone but he always did get a bit to close to nature, but he was a nice bloke and will always be missed. :Y:

Rob owns a reptile park near Airlie beach. He is a very practical bloke and was doing Steve Irwin like shows long before anyone had heard of Steve Irwin. His croc shows are great. He is a really good observer of animal behaviour, and he is actually a legend in that area.

davent said:
Rob owns a reptile park near Airlie beach. He is a very practical bloke and was doing Steve Irwin like shows long before anyone had heard of Steve Irwin. His croc shows are great. He is a really good observer of animal behaviour, and he is actually a legend in that area.

I'm trying to recall the old fella in Proserpine? that had a croc in his back yard.
He used to take it to the pub when it was small
Charlene l think was the crocs name.
He had it for decades until Charlene grabbed him and ripped his arm off

Latest posts