Another headache....then the penny drops!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
I couldn't work out why every time I have a day off work, i'm suffering a mild headache. I take a few days off to go prospecting and bang, another headache. Initially I thought it was a reaction to "being free", just like the flu that only comes each year on vacation- never while working.

3 weeks in a row I noted I took a Thursday off and each morning at around 11.30am that same mild head ache came around. Then the penny dropped....

I work in hospitality and each morning I have 1 or two coffees. I don't feel I "need one" but the machine is there and I make one as a ritual to the start of the day.

I realised that every day I don't have a coffee (my days off), I get the headache! I'm not sure how many of you have this same issue but when I googled it, everything made sense.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-headache

The solution they say is....have a coffee!

Now I know i'm not going mad, and when I go bush I need to either not have a coffee a couple days before so I detox, or make sure I have a coffee. I didn't think 1 or 2 a day would have such effect but now I know. So if any of you are experiencing a headache....think if you have skipped that morning coffee!

Ha ha, I was having the same problem a couple of years ago on camping trips and it took a while to catch on. I usually have 3-4 cups a work day but weekends, fishing and camping trips I'm lucky if I have 1 and was still getting mild headaches and Panadol doesn't seem to help much either. So yeah the solution is to either kick the habit for good or just make sure you keep drinking coffee every day. I like a good cuppa so I just remember to have them when I'm away.

1411191154_image.jpg

You may need one of these, I take it with me on most of our trips :)

Its just something I never considered and the headache was always when I was "enjoying" my time off. Coffee it is.

Caffine withdrawal ......... guaranteed headache, tea drinkers don't be fooled, there's caffeine in tea as well.
Alternatives I've tried don't help much either, bottle of Port, Headache, couple of bottles of wine, headache, half a slab, headache.
Guess life wasn't meant to be easy.
Drink up (responsibly of course),
Tom

used to drink 10 cups a day and gave up because they gave me stress/panic attacks. (well that was the verdict)
Gave up 10 years ago and still have a headache every day. Gave up the fags 5 years ago and it made it bloody worse. Lifes a bitch.
Getting older and trying to be healthy aint worth it I reckon !!!
If I have to give up the grog then I will be really grumpy I reckon.
Bop

I don't drink coffee but I do experience the same from red bull lol, I start my day with one and with out it a get bad headaches, I'm pretty sure it's the caffeine

Digginholes said:
I don't drink coffee but I do experience the same from red bull lol, I start my day with one and with out it a get bad headaches, I'm pretty sure it's the caffeine

Yep its the caffeine, I just don't think a lot of people realise that 1 or 2 cups a day, or one red bull can have that effect. The day you don't have one, take note if you feel a bit of a dull headache, its prob caffeine withdrawal. I always thought its the 4+ cups a day people that were "having too much" and might get side effects. I can now categorically say that a cup or 2 a day is all it takes me to get a headache when I don't drink it!

Be glad you can have your daily coffees Twapster. :)
Like some others I used to drink 8-10 mugs a day and was ordered to give up because they affected my blood pressure. That was over 14 years ago and I even cannot touch the real cola soft drinks as they have caffeine in them and my body now reacts badly to a good dose of caffeine now. :(
Thankfully port and spirits can still be consumed. :D

Interesting thread! Caffeine and headaches are something I'd never heard of until now. Doesn't have an effect on me but that may be because I don't get headaches in general. A coffee a day is all I'll have though it's mainly during work week. Weekends its beer only :D Know a bloke who lives on iced coffee. We're talking 4-6l a day here! Teeth are coffee colored and he's thin as a rake. The stereotypical druggy look.

little gremlins that smell mate. My missus lives on the stuff and it stinks the house out.
Bloody coffee someone should blow it up.

nuggetino said:
Interesting thread! Caffeine and headaches are something I'd never heard of until now. Doesn't have an effect on me but that may be because I don't get headaches in general. A coffee a day is all I'll have though it's mainly during work week. Weekends its beer only :D Know a bloke who lives on iced coffee. We're talking 4-6l a day here! Teeth are coffee colored and he's thin as a rake. The stereotypical druggy look.

Id bet some people get a headache from 1 a day if its a commercially made one, not the home instant stuff which is weaker. I certainly don't have more than 1 or 2 and that was enough for me to get the headache on my "day off". Like me im guessing maybe people don't make the connection easily, it was a real eye opener for me when I finally worked it out.

From somewhat of a caffeine addict I have had a lot of experience with caffeine withdrawal and the effects it can have. Generally serious coffee or energy drinkers(or any type of strong caffeine) will have a headache(from mild to freeking nasty) and generally feel kinda shit for a few days if they give up cold turkey, but after a week you should be 'ok' and after a couple of weeks you should feel fairly normal. I on the other hand seem to require the stuff to get by. My blood pressure gets too low without the stuff(it seems to be a family thing from my fathers side) and I feel like crap, so when I told my doc how crap I had been feeling after giving it up for a month he advised me to go back on it. So yep I have it on doctors advice to drink coffee. Mind you my sister is even worse, the last time I heard she got her blood pressure taken they asked if she was feeling ok, because they had never seen blood pressure that low on anyone that was alive...

By the way, there have been a lot of studies into coffee and the only real negative to it tends to be high blood pressure with some people, but there are heaps of mild benefits to the stuff, it's really quite a healthy thing to drink so long as your blood pressure is ok.

I have been lately getting headaches from my mobile phone. It only has been in last few months. I started using headphones and that seems to help. Does anyone have same experiance or am I just imagining things?

Addicted. Last weekend I started the day with one cup of coffee & a dash of baileys, only had one cup & no headache. most days start with 2 or 3 cups so I should cut back too.

Beagleboy
Mobile phone headache, get that checked.
Sister lived on the mobile, ended up with a brain tumor which was they said may have been associated. Bluetooth it in the car. Apparently headphones transmit as much radiation to the head. Hope you find a solution & don't have any problems. Matt80 could be on the money.

Barry

A couple of freezing mornings when the gas in the cooker is too frozen to actually work I've been known to eat a teaspoon of coffee, it's been that bad.

In the coldest months chasing the yellow at least no headache.

Latest posts