Angus MacKirk Recon II

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone here know how to post photos on the forum? :lol:

With the warmer weather fast approaching I though I better pick up some new prospecting gear. I just got off the phone to Prospecting Supplies in which I ordered the the reasonably new Angus McKirk Recon II. The Recon II utilises an improved drop riffle design over the previous model which on paper looks rather impressive.

I'm planning on heading back to Nundle in the coming weeks to test it out and I can't wait.

0000659.png

Hmmmm, has it really been that long as it seems that you have forgotten who I am Ramjet :(. Obviously I know how to post an image (it was a joke) and I also remember the day I delivered the Grubsteak to your front door hahaha :lol:

I sent you a PM mate ;)

Ha ha classic!!!!!! :lol:

G'day Nugget, that certainly looks the goods. Be interested to hear how it goes.
Don't worry about Ramjet he has a lot on his mind at the moment, fighting with his partner (boyfriend??? :8 ) and sausages mainly...BIG BIG sausages! :D

Glad you getting back amongst the gold!

Cheers,
Billy.

P.S. There is a job going for a moderator if you are interested ;)

Cheers guys, good to see Ramjet hasn't changed after all this time lol.

I would love to join the mod team again at some stage but right now I have too much on to even consider it. The mods have certainly been doing a good job since my departure which is fantastic to see.

I'm really excited about the Recon II, the previous riffle design was genius but the newer ABBYS catchment system gives me a real boner :lol:

Bwahaha Ramjet.. :D

Howdy ho Nugget! Glad to hear from you mate! Are these still the same vacuume molded plastic? How much are they?
I have that puurdy silver bullion still shiny on my trophy shelf, cheers again :)

Hey nugget, I just purchased the AMK Boss II. It has the abyss riffles, they are a lot deeper than the old riffles and work great. You can really feed these things fast. Easy to set up and a breeze to clean out. Hey AtomRat, Yes they are still moulded abs plastic. Paid $365 posted from Canberra to Sydney.
Heres some pics.
1440026189_s1.jpg

1440026210_s2.jpg

1440026225_s3.jpg

Heres a link to another Angus MacKirk thread.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12315

Can anyone please confirm whether or not the aluminium rock brace has washers underneath (sluice underside) for the rivet to bite into? For some strange reason the Recon II doesn't come standard with a rock brace so I'm in the process of installing some. An under body photo of any Angus McKirk sluice would be appreciated :D

Mine came with metal rails riveted to one side of the plastic (with a washer on the bottom side) and i had to use a thumb screw that came with it to attach to the other side. This might have been for shipping with the rails running parallel down each side of sluice.
1440292625_2015-08-23_11.08.35.jpg

1440293200_2015-08-23_11.24.25.jpg

1440292952_2015-08-23_11.21.02.jpg

Cracka.

Thanks Cracka. I'm pretty sure my Grubsteak had the same as yours, thumbscrews + rivets but I just couldn't recall if their was a washer on the bottom (I don't think it did).

I read somewhere online that some AM's come out of the factory with the brace fitted and then in other cases the dealers sometimes add them on request. It's all good though, I installed a rock brace with rivets straight into the ABS plastic, the rivets mushroomed very well so I doubt there's any chance of it letting go. If it does I'll install a washer.

1440298219_imag1087.jpg

Nugget,

Wondering why you decided to sell the Recon II? I am thinking of purchasing the same model and installing the rock bar brace similar to your set-up. Also do you need to classify before running?

Thank you

any plastic or fibreglass riveting should use a washer to stop bursting holes out especially since it causes cracks like a windscreen chip that ends up making hole much bigger rending it unfixable