Among the hardwoods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishfull said:
limpalot said:
Should be compulsory veiwing for the public at all Centrelink offices.
2 years Military training should be compulsory whilst still at school. I am going to cop flack over this I know.
I agree with you totally mate
I also belive if you are on the dole for more then a year you should do at least 3 years military
Now like you we will both cop flack over this
I better add
unless there is a medical reason that you can't do the time

7.62marksman said:
I agree with you totally mate
I also belive if you are on the dole for more then a year you should do at least 3 years military
Now like you we will both cop flack over this
Why single out peeps that receive the dole for that amount of time ?
Wouldn't it be a better idea to make it compulsory for every person to do 3 or more years military training when they reach a certain age ?
Then when England or USA need cannon fodder we can supply plenty of our boys as usual.

Yes i agree back in the day that was how we were used however that has changed now We have one of the best military in the world
The reason i said what i said was i have sat on many interview pannels and the comments i have heard were
I dont want this job it will stuff up my dole payments but i had to come for the interview (dress code for him was shorts thongs and t shirt)
The last job i had most of my work was with people on the dole and i will say that most of their attitudes were the same
Some that comes to mind was
i can't be here at 0900 to do my work for the dole as i dont get out of bed until at least mid day (female )
Another one was i can't do work for the dole as it doesn't fit in with my fishing and surfing
Phone call cant come in this week my dog died
My partner cant come in today as he has to help me with the house work
I could go on and on about all the excuses but i won't it will only start a p$%%&g comp and i don't enter into them

Ah!!!! watching the video brought back memories from the early 1980's and a month ago , for those who know where Nerriga is, there used to be a working saw mill just down the road from the pub, up near the school, owned and operated by Les and Alf Irvine, a couple of old school Aussies, they were the last of the sawers who use bullock teams to snig the logs to the mill from the local forest, the break down saw was a huge circular saw , they taught me a lot on how trees perform during the breakdown process, what spring is , and the best cutting for the best wood like quarter sawing,,,, Sadly , its all gone.
Another local resident in the region was Manfred. Manfred showed me how charcoal was made in his charcoal building.
A month ago , I visited the open day weekend at the Menangle Steam Museum just outside of Campbelltown NSW, the age of steam is still alive thanks to the steam enthusiasts, some of the old chug chug engines hit and miss firing , lovingly restored and presented,,, a worthwhile event to visit , open days are held about 3 times a year ,
Anyone else familiar with Nerriga or only with Oallen Ford ????

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Ah!!!! watching the video brought back memories from the early 1980's and a month ago , for those who know where Nerriga is, there used to be a working saw mill just down the road from the pub, up near the school, owned and operated by Les and Alf Irvine, a couple of old school Aussies, they were the last of the sawers who use bullock teams to snig the logs to the mill from the local forest, the break down saw was a huge circular saw , they taught me a lot on how trees perform during the breakdown process, what spring is , and the best cutting for the best wood like quarter sawing,,,, Sadly , its all gone.
Another local resident in the region was Manfred. Manfred showed me how charcoal was made in his charcoal building.
A month ago , I visited the open day weekend at the Menangle Steam Museum just outside of Campbelltown NSW, the age of steam is still alive thanks to the steam enthusiasts, some of the old chug chug engines hit and miss firing , lovingly restored and presented,,, a worthwhile event to visit , open days are held about 3 times a year ,
Anyone else familiar with Nerriga or only with Oallen Ford ????

Spent a bit of time as a kid working with my dad on Tolwong station,later when I started detecting I spent yrs walking the hills here and there,we had some acres we sold about 6 yrs ago when shifting to wa,a mate rebuilt the pub for lumo and I ended up offsiding with him for 6 months or more on the pub also,know a few people out there.
Certainly not the nerriga I knew as a kid now days but have some great memories from the area.....

Yeah the tar road changed things hey,I wonder about Ray Goff on occasions,havent spoken to any mates out there for 6+ yrs and he more or less left the area 10 yrs ago,I have a great old print of early miners in grassy gully from the historical society,see if I can find it
Sorry for off topic Dr Duck....

I guess my dad would have done stuff like that. He came from Colac and he and mum lived in Beech Forest long before I was born.
Dad was working for the forest commission in the Otways helping to make roads and tramways. He would leave home on his horse ( no cars) with his food and clothing for 5 days on Sunday night and camp out in the bush doing his work, and come home on Friday night or Saturday morning for a rest.
The rest consisted of having a bath, hot meal and cutting a weeks supply of firewood for the wood stove for my mum, and maybe getting lucky, no tv in those days.
I can still remember my mum telling me how she had to rotate the firewood to get it to burn ( the Otways has 1 of the highest rainfalls in Victoria ) Dad would split it and carry it under cover, mum would then select the driest and bring it into the kitchen and lay it out on the hearth in front of the stove, what had been on the hearth was placed on the brick hobs on either side of the stove, what had been on the hobs was placed in the oven for final drying and from there it went into the fire. Because the wood was so damp she couldn't let the fire go out, just so much trouble to get it going again.
Imagine living like that, with 3 kids under 6, baking your own bread, boiling the water for baths, a fire heated copper to do the washing in, no washing machine or dryer, making your own soaps, bacon, growing all your vegetables, no electricity, only candles ( home made) or kero lamps.
I can remember mum using a tredle sewing machine but I don't know when they got it so I'm guessing that all my older siblings clothing was made/repaired by hand.
Sorry to digress, but watching the video reminded me of a lot of bygone lifestyles

1530569437_b8e70a53-ec59-420e-b8d4-25346a01242f.jpg

Early pic from nerriga area goldenoldie and crew....

xcvator said:
I guess my dad would have done stuff like that. He came from Colac and he and mum lived in Beech Forest long before I was born.
Dad was working for the forest commission in the Otways helping to make roads and tramways. He would leave home on his horse ( no cars) with his food and clothing for 5 days on Sunday night and camp out in the bush doing his work, and come home on Friday night or Saturday morning for a rest.
The rest consisted of having a bath, hot meal and cutting a weeks supply of firewood for the wood stove for my mum, and maybe getting lucky, no tv in those days.
I can still remember my mum telling me how she had to rotate the firewood to get it to burn ( the Otways has 1 of the highest rainfalls in Victoria ) Dad would split it and carry it under cover, mum would then select the driest and bring it into the kitchen and lay it out on the hearth in front of the stove, what had been on the hearth was placed on the brick hobs on either side of the stove, what had been on the hobs was placed in the oven for final drying and from there it went into the fire. Because the wood was so damp she couldn't let the fire go out, just so much trouble to get it going again.
Imagine living like that, with 3 kids under 6, baking your own bread, boiling the water for baths, a fire heated copper to do the washing in, no washing machine or dryer, making your own soaps, bacon, growing all your vegetables, no electricity, only candles ( home made) or kero lamps.
I can remember mum using a tredle sewing machine but I don't know when they got it so I'm guessing that all my older siblings clothing was made/repaired by hand.
Sorry to digress, but watching the video reminded me of a lot of bygone lifestyles

a life style to return to :Y:
work hard or perish :cool:
no welfare back then :cool:
welfare was never meant as a career choice 8) 8)
too many bottom feeders these days 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.(

learned something new today about the Nerriga saw mill , the bloke up the road from says his son lives just out of town and asked if I had visited the museum , where's the museum I ask ? just down the road from the pub, nothing there except the old school, the sawmill buildings are nowhere to be seen, oh the museum is in the school something to check next time I am down that way ,
if your into old military vehicles and stuff the Menagle Steam Museum is hosting the annual MENANGLE MILITARY MUSTER 14 &15 JULY paper says google menangle military muster macarthur.com.au

It didn't seem to matter what work you did in those days, the clothing was the same, jacket, tie and hat even in the hardest professions.
Thanks for sharing Goldchaser.
Mackka :)

Latest posts