Amateur treasure hunter finds 22,000 Roman coins from 4th century

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
319140-17f07046-470f-11e4-b47a-41c1793173a7.jpg

BycjLbWCUAEHok9.jpg

Seaton_Down_excava_3052443c.jpg

A treasure hunter who uncovered the biggest hoard of 4th century Roman coins recorded in Britain spent three nights sleeping in his car to guard his find.

Laurence Egerton, a builder, took up metal detecting seven years ago and his usual hauls consisted of old ring pulls and shotgun cartridges.

But on this occasion fortune was with him. Scanning an area of ground in Seaton, East Devon, he uncovered 22,000 Roman coins dating from AD260 to AD348.

Between finding the hoard and the archaeologists excavating the site, I slept in my car alongside it for three nights to guard it, said Mr Egerton, 51.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...nd-of-Roman-coins-by-sleeping-in-his-car.html

I don't know how he could sleep. I would have had a cuppla packs of No Doz taxied out with 5 Gallons of black coffee and a Big guard DOG just to make sure no-one got near it. Oh, and some Imodium to make sure i wasn't "distracted"
What a find!!!!! :eek:

I would have laid trip wires and wired them up to clamores and flares. :lol:

Latest posts