Agreements

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

Im curious weather any of you guy who detect on people property with permissions have any sort of written agreement that if anything of significant value is found that both parties share in its sale?

Ive just recently received about 10 different permissions for a bunch of old properties with ruins, old 1800s post office sites etc etc and I want to make sure I safeguard myself if I pluck (Im dreaming) a heafty coin spill or some yellow stuff etc!

I dont want to offend these people by making them sign a document, but I dont feel like a gentlemans agreement in this day and age matters when money becomes involved!

Im talking like $1000+ in value etc

Just curious what you guys do!

That would be a lucky problem to have. I used to coin and relic detect in SA. I always showed my finds to the owner. Mostly just coins though, pennys, occasional florin, also used to take any junk with me. Off course if you found a large piece of gold in SA it is the property of the state government. For this reason I think the few decent South Australian gold nuggets probably get found interstate. Great you have so many permissions, I would be greatful about being allowed on those properties and not try to get them to sign anything. Personally as a land owner if you tried to get me to sign something I would change my mind about letting you on the place.

Goldfreak said:
That would be a lucky problem to have. I used to coin and relic detect in SA. I always showed my finds to the owner. Mostly just coins though, pennys, occasional florin, also used to take any junk with me. Off course if you found a large piece of gold in SA it is the property of the state government. For this reason I think the few decent South Australian gold nuggets probably get found interstate. Great you have so many permissions, I would be greatful about being allowed on those properties and not try to get them to sign anything. Personally as a land owner if you tried to get me to sign something I would change my mind about letting you on the place.

Thats a fair call mate, last thing I want to do is offend someone and have them change their mind about me detecting there!
I already made it quite clear in my advertisement that the owners are welcome to any of the finds that intrest them!

What the state doesnt know, wont hurt the state :lol:

I think Im just getting ahead of my self and dreaming alittle bit haha!

I am soooo keen to get out to some of these places, god dang work commitments!

Ill be back on Saturday, hopefully with some good finds!

Thanks mate

DetectingSA said:
Goldfreak said:

Thats a fair call mate, last thing I want to do is offend someone and have them change their mind about me detecting there!
I already made it quite clear in my advertisement that the owners are welcome to any of the finds that intrest them!

What the state doesnt know, wont hurt the state :lol:

I think Im just getting ahead of my self and dreaming alittle bit haha!

I am soooo keen to get out to some of these places, god dang work commitments!

Ill be back on Saturday, hopefully with some good finds!

Thanks mate
Gday detecting sa
The best advice I could offer you is to go and enjoy the privilege that is on offer to you :Y:
Keep an open mind, and when you get to these properties and meet the owners you should be able to get a bit of an idea of their character and then go with what youre head is telling you! You might be pleasantly surprised at their generosity :Y:
So play it by ear :perfect:
You say what the state dont know wont hurt it , ( and you didnt hear it from me) but the same could apply to the owners :playful: :playful:

Hmmm SA Old post offices. , banks. Don't dig up any old barrels Sorry had to say it.

Some great advice in this thread lads, thank you very much for your input!

Ive got to remember the things that us metal detectorists are interested in, coins, badges, buckles, buttons etc are of no intrest other than a quick look to the majority of the population!

To be fair Im just happy to have the chance to unearth some history from some potentially untouched lands!

? 'advertisement' ?
Did you put an ad in the paper / local notice board ?
And got 10 permissions :Y:
If thats the case ... CONGRATULATIONS !

On the other subject ....
Honesty is always the best policy ;)

At best they will let you keep all the finds, and at worst they may want them all to remain on site, especially if they have some connection to their family or local history. I am perfectly ok with not keeping any finds, as long as I can photograph and document them - probably lucky enough in the first place to have the privilege of detecting on their properties.

It can also depend on how you perceive your finds - are you in it for financial gain or are you simply happy to rescue some history, and get a buzz out of doing so. Best to be up front on your intentions, as you may be disappointed if you come across as being there to simply to make some money out of them. Being courteous will get you a long way, especially if you offer them some of your finds, despite them not initially indicating any interest in keeping any. At the end of the day that will open other doors for more opportunities if the landowner has a good experience in dealing with you.

Sandta said:
? 'advertisement' ?

I exaggerated, I got 8! 6 sound very promising, 2 are just acres of field but still could be good! Local notice boards with my number on it and a nice little write up

Goldpick said:
At best they will let you keep all the finds, and at worst they may want them all to remain on site, especially if they have some connection to their family or local history. I am perfectly ok with not keeping any finds, as long as I can photograph and document them - probably lucky enough in the first place to have the privilege of detecting on their properties.

It can also depend on how you perceive your finds - are you in it for financial gain or are you simply happy to rescue some history, and get a buzz out of doing so. Best to be up front on your intentions, as you may be disappointed if you come across as being there to simply to make some money out of them. Being courteous will get you a long way, especially if you offer them some of your finds, despite them not initially indicating any interest in keeping any. At the end of the day that will open other doors for more opportunities if the landowner has a good experience in dealing with you.

Im purely in it for the history! Its a main reason why I don go beach detecting because I dont care for finding jewellery etc

Im more than happy to hand over anything they find interesting, and especially if it has some connection to their land or family! Id be happy to leave with a few coins to be fair :D

DetectingSA said:
Sandta said:
? 'advertisement' ?

I exaggerated, I got 8! 6 sound very promising, 2 are just acres of field but still could be good! Local notice boards with my number on it and a nice little write up

Goldpick said:

Im purely in it for the history! Its a main reason why I don go beach detecting because I dont care for finding jewellery etc

Im more than happy to hand over anything they find interesting, and especially if it has some connection to their land or family! Id be happy to leave with a few coins to be fair :D

Just go and enjoy the privilege and experience and Im sure that the rest will work itself out in due course :Y:
The anticipation of detecting on what sounds like virgin ground is gold in itself :)

Sandta said:
? 'advertisement' ?

So if you were in detecting sa boots and ( hypothetically speaking) were on a private property miles away from the homestead and
Unearthed a sizeable gold nugget or a 1930 penny or something else that that I can only explain as being life changing and you had bad vibes about the owner when you meet him and going throu youre mind is this bloke will keep this if I show him what I found! What would you do Sandta?

Asking the property owner to sign an agreement...Quickest way to have yourself told where to go and dont come back.At the end of the day it's their property...You may of found it but its theirs...Most owners wouldnt want it anyway if they told you can search their property. But it would just be curtisy to offer any valuable finds.

Smoky bandit said:
Asking the property owner to sign an agreement...Quickest way to have yourself told where to go and dont come back.At the end of the day it's their property...You may of found it but its theirs...Most owners wouldnt want it anyway if they told you can search their property. But it would just be curtisy to offer any valuable finds.

Totally disagree about most owners wouldnt want it :100: % especially something of considerable value!
If the owner didnt know ya found it then hell he is none the wiser. And anyone who says they would offer up say a $20,000 gold nugget or something of similar value and run the risk of the owner saying thank you very much, thats mine, now on ya way is only putting on a good front on the forum :N: and if ya conscious got the better of you when you got home, send the owner a cheque in the mail !! :playful:

Smoky bandit said:

Yeah I think you misunderstood me boss, Im not talking about your regular finds, Im talking about some decent money here. No one in their right mind doesnt want a good handful of cash!

Obviously I dont expect these types of 1 in a million finds to happen, but I was just curious what everyone does as It will be my first time going into someones property, was just curious if its a done thing here.

A lot of foreign you tubers Ive watched do have such agreements, Im not by any means a greedy person, but as LW said, maybe a big bugger of a nugget pops up. Or someones long lost stash of sovereigns etc obviously the chances are practically nil, but Id be kicking myself if it ever happened and they owner said wham bam thank you maam and I wasnt even offered a fair share of the loot!

I 1000% appreciate people letting me, a random bloke bleep and bloop around their property for a few hours and wouldnt want to lose the permission or offend anyone, I wont be asking them to sign anything or even make a gentlemens agreement, I will let their morality decide what the right course of action would be!

But lets be honest, were talking ifs and buts here, the likelihood is so minuscule, but were dreamers us metal detectorists :D

Totally disagree :100%.
I dont put on a front for this forum..Never have...and if I found something of significant value on a persons property that they let me detect on , I would have no problem telling them. And if you would try a decieve the owner while in his back yard..What else would you do..I am a property owner and I am extreamly weary of who I let in my back yard. And comments like yours just prove I should be weary..I personally would not care if you found a $1000 coin or nugget but if you found say a vain of gold worth multiple thousands and told me I would definitely share it with you and you would be trusted to do what ever you wanted on my land...camp /hunt/fish/highbank ect ect..Just my opinion and good luck I hope you never find anything of value in someone's back yard. :) :Y: :beer:
Ohh and DA.You wanted to know peoples opinions..
So I gave you mine champ.Good luck. :Y:

Licking windows said:
Sandta said:
? 'advertisement' ?

So if you were in detecting sa boots and ( hypothetically speaking) were on a private property miles away from the homestead and
Unearthed a sizeable gold nugget or a 1930 penny or something else that that I can only explain as being life changing and you had bad vibes about the owner when you meet him and going throu youre mind is this bloke will keep this if I show him what I found! What would you do Sandta?

Well ,so far ,i have shown all my finds to the land owners
There have only been 2 ocassions where the land owners have 'asked' if they could have/keep particular items.
First time was an old lady (who had EXCEPTIONAL vision,no glasses ) who wanted some of the threepences. I think she kept 4 or 5 , as they reminded her of finding them in her christmas puding and said she was going to use them in puding for her great grand kids. She could actualy read the dates after having to wipe the dirt off. I have no idea what the dates were , i cant see shit that small/close without glasses ;)
The second time was not so long ago, was probably my 4th visit to the property, the land owner, again 'asked' if he could keep the cow bell i found. I asked if he would mind if i gave it to him on my next visit, so i could clean it and take some photos first. Ive been back to this property a couple of times since and am welcome anytime.
I know these are not valuable items , BUT , I would like to think that i would do the same no matter what it was.

I have always been up front with land owners and express my intent from the very first meeting. If i find anything of real value that we would go halves and if anything of significant historical value would go to the local museum.

Testing my resolve with a sizeable gold nugget is yet to happen. As for a 1930 penny ... well i wouldnt even know what it was until i got home and cleaned it. Im not like those in most videos to inspect each coin/find as it comes out , i cant see bugger all without glasses anyway, and i dont wear them.

Latest posts