Agatemaster faceting machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and new to faceting. I'm based at Obriens Creek, MT Surprise, in the heart of topaz country. (If you ever head this, touch base, and we can meet up and talk gems and trade ideas).

I'm thinking of buying this Agatemaster faceting machine and was wondering if any members have one, or are familiar with them? I'd particularly like to see photos of the protractor, as they don't appear in the guys ad.

Many thanks

David

IMG_8459.jpeg
IMG_8458.jpeg
IMG_8454.jpeg

The markings on the gear wheel are index markings. Not the protractor. The protractor angle markings should be shown were the quill pivots, maybe on the other side but that would be a bit awkward to use.
Yeah, I agree. I've been on the hunt for a second hand faceting machine for months, as soon as they are listed, they are gone within 5 days. Do you think $1000 is a fair price? (It comes with a heap of dops, laps etc)

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8460.jpeg
    IMG_8460.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 0
Did you ask how he gets the angels? bit hard if you cant get the angels surely there has to be some indicator on it?
Looks a bit hard to mount a digital angle box on it. Does look in pretty good condition, you may be able to get him down a bit. $1000 tops.

Did you ask how he gets the angels? bit hard if you cant get the angels surely there has to be some indicator on it?
Looks a bit hard to mount a digital angle box on it. Does look in pretty good condition, you may be able to get him down a bit. $1000 tops.
Hi Peter

He just sent me some pics of the protractor, and it does look rather easy to read. (One pic has light reflection over the indicator). It won't give the accuracy of a VJ, but for someone like me starting out, it seems to be a good entry machine. I asked him what his rock bottom price is, and he said $1000, so you were on the money. It includes a solid copper lap too which is worth a couple of hundred dollars. (Assuming it's in good condition).

Attachments

• image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 1
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi Peter

He just sent me some pics of the protractor, and it does look rather easy to read. (One pic has light reflection over the indicator). It won't give the accuracy of a VJ, but for someone like me starting out, it seems to be a good entry machine. I asked him what his rock bottom price is, and he said $1000, so you were on the money. It includes a solid copper lap too which is worth a couple of hundred dollars. (Assuming it's in good condition).
Good, had to be there some were didn't it. I have a friend out near Obrains, turn left before crossing the Elizabeth used to be a tin miner now runs cattle on the property. He tort me how to cut. Tell me did the Elizabeth flood much this year? I passed through MT Surprise just last week.

That machine has a much better hand piece than my old Hall machine, I like the way it grips the dop with collets by the looks. Good buy.

Cheers

Good, had to be there some were didn't it. I have a friend out near Obrains, turn left before crossing the Elizabeth used to be a tin miner now runs cattle on the property. He tort me how to cut. Tell me did the Elizabeth flood much this year? I passed through MT Surprise just last week.

That machine has a much better hand piece than my old Hall machine, I like the way it grips the dop with collets by the looks. Good buy.

Cheers
Hi Peter, I was in Cairns during most of the wet season, but water removed the tarmac from the Elizabeth bridge at Mt Surprise. Other than that, I don't think there were any notable flooding events

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and new to faceting. I'm based at Obriens Creek, MT Surprise, in the heart of topaz country. (If you ever head this, touch base, and we can meet up and talk gems and trade ideas).

I'm thinking of buying this Agatemaster faceting machine and was wondering if any members have one, or are familiar with them? I'd particularly like to see photos of the protractor, as they don't appear in the guys ad.

Many thanks

David

View attachment 10092
View attachment 10091
View attachment 10090
I have one. It uses a Gemmasta mast and spindle. Your photos was the first time I've seen an original setup. My understanding is that it was designed by Laurie Hall in the early to mid 80's. If that's the case, you might be lucky to get something from the people who make the Hall machine.
Thanks for the photos 🙂

Thank you Dihusky for clarifying that for me. I knew about the Cairns connection but I'm sure I read somewhere that he designed the agatemaster as well many other faceting machines and a few lapidary machines as well.

Latest posts