Aftermarket SD battery connecter?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me who made this and what battery it suits? Can I use this to connect to a Lithium-Ion battery?

1399381877_ml_001.jpg

1399381922_ml_002.jpg

1399381942_ml_003.jpg

Looks like an regulator, where it converts 12v down to maybe 7.3v, you'd have to connect a battery and then get a multimeter to see what it's putting out. What detector is this for the 2000?

That looks like the same connector on my solar panels. Try Jaycar or you could just use male and female bullet connectors. Same same but different. Solder the wires in if you can.

Look at small Anderson plugs.

This is what my 2100 came with as well. It's standard from minelab . I think. I converted my machine to lithium ion via a dc to dc Voltage regulator set to 7.3 volts. The box I made also to amplify the signal to run an external speaker. In my opinion the standard Setup is lousy and needs upgrading. I used a battery jumper pack from repco for the power. It is 12000ma lithium ion and has 5 v phone chargers and a light built in as well as being able to jump start 12v batteries. It weighs nothing and . Got mine on sale for $150ish. Flea bay has them also cheaper . Think too.

If you need to buy the connector, I bought a double ender ( 30cm plugs each end) for about $3.30 from Jaycar today

xray1982 said:
It's standard from minelab . I think.

Definitely not my man, that looks to me like an after market enhancer of some description.
Does it also have an input for a headphone/speaker plug?

I've been told by my electronics contact at work, that it's a straight connector, no regulation or enhancement. The orange/red socket is audio. I'm going to get a 7.2 or 7.4 Li-Ion battery pack and just hook her up.

That is a STD plug/earphone socket box that the sd2000 & sd2100 had in the back pack' get a plug from jay car to fit or chop the plug off like I did and use 2 blade connectors onto a 14aH 6v or use the 4.5aH 6v that would last me 5hours on a full charge.
Also the 4.5aH 6v are light enough to Velcro to the detector without using the harness or pack, buy a bluetooth transmitter and headphones from jaycar and you will be completely wireless.

Borat, it is the box that is the enhancer, not the plug, hence the headphone/speaker socket (orange)
I'd say there is a lead missing, the other half of the straight connector to a minelab 4 pinner.

Borat70 said:
I've been told by my electronics contact at work, that it's straight connector, no regulation or enhancement. The orange/red socket is audio. I'm going to get a 7.2 or 7.4 Li-Ion battery pack and just hook her up.
It appears to me to be an aftermarket regulator that allowed the use of other sealed lead acid batteries with the SD series, rather than the black dome tops.
The black lead/connector would go to a matching connection lead on the 6v lead acid battery for power. I have seen this lead soldered directly to the battery terminals or connected with a variety of different easy to remove electrical connections.
The grey lead is obviously your power out to the detector.
The metal box contains provision for your audio hence the audio socket I.e. some type of small audio controller. Sometimes they could also include a small enhancer/booster but for SD's you will probably need a Detacc Supersound or similar also. I have seen/owned these set ups where the metal box had some type of regulator in it so it could be connected to lead acid batteries larger than 6v & regulated down to suit (usually by adjusting internally & testing output).
A popular "mod" for SD series detectors is to run them at between 7.2-7.4v so if you're going to connect a li-ion battery I would regulate the voltage at around there. If you don't, keeping in mind a 7.2-7.4v battery holds more volt than that, you risk damage to your electronics if the voltage input exceeds about 7.4v.

Hi guys,

The device pictured is just a connection block supplied originally with the sd2000. It contains no regulator or booster, only a thermal breaker to protect the detector in case of over current. These can be used on any detector from the 2000 to the 3500 with a 6v battery. An sd2000 can be run up to 8.4v but some of the later models have input over voltage protection and will not turn on if too much voltage is applied. If you were to use a 12v battery, you would first need to run it through a regulator, then into the patch block.

I hope this clears things up!

Cheers Mick

Cheers Mechanic - It does. I had one similar on a SD2200D & was told that it was a regulator/connection block. Had no dometops just 2 x aftermarket SLA batteries. Didn't really follow up on this set up much cause I pretty much jumped straight into a 7.4v li-po system (Minelab Mods "Little Ripper") & only kept the SLA's for spares/back up batteries.

Thanks for everyone's help, but I think Mechanic and mbasko win this weeks prizes for being the most helpful and accurate

I'm running a SD2100 so will probably be ok at the max voltage of 8.4V that a 7.4V will put out, but I think I'll chuck in a regulator to be safe

Cheers James

Latest posts