After a name or term - some info

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone would happen to know what those two pieces material over the mesh in either side of the Sluice, are called.

1434030786_img_20150611_235223.jpg

A name (term) and/or some information about them would be of help.

...I got me some nasty rooster tails dat me lookin' to get a rid of, Boss.

Rubber flaps, take the turbulence out of the water, create a dead zone/low pressure space in the sluice, assist in the deposit of heavies, don't make it out of to heavier rubber though, it can lead to the sluice blocking in that particular position, some sluice boxes have them at the beginning of the sluice, some part way down, trial and error is the only way to gaurantee the correct thickness of the rubber to suit your water flow and classified materials.
I have a removable one on one of my units, the sluice box is 400mm wide and I'm running a 2" HP pump and a 2" water transfer pump, with those two together, 5mm insertion rubber was about the right Thickness of rubber if reference to its weight.
The reason its removable, with interchangeable/removable riffles I can get the same affect without needing the rubber in the box.
From the pic I'm guessing that section just has expanded mesh, hence why they maybe running the rubber flaps :)

Hi Terra,

It's a flow dampener. From the look of the video you could really do with one!
I make mine out of rope track from Capral Aluminum. You just bolt your rubber sheet to it
then run an 8mm allthread through it with nylocks either end. Looks like you can use a nugget trap as well.
Cheers.
1435147192_001.jpg

Miteymuz said:
Hi Terra,

It's a flow dampener. From the look of the video you could really do with one!
I make mine out of rope track from Capral Aluminum. You just bolt your rubber sheet to it
then run an 8mm allthread through it with nylocks either end. Looks like you can use a nugget trap as well.
Cheers.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2457/1435147192_001.jpg

Hey Muz,

Thanks for the feedback.

First off I'll say if you knocked that beauty ( sluice ) up yourself, it is a work of art. So precise! I'm sure with that standard of craft you'd make a few dollars on the side. - Good work mate. ;)

The tail is a pain. To be honest a damper is the only option I see other than a complete rework. I'm the rookie of all rookies but I just don't see any other options right now. :/

Chris

Hey Chris.

Yep mate, i did build it myself, Thanks!

You can also sort out the rooster tail with a piece of rubber floor matting tile behind your main riffles.
I'm guessing your expanded mesh is roughly 1/2 inch thick, the rubber tiles are roughly the same.
The floor matting tiles will reduce the water ramping and flatten the flow out.
An added bonus is, the gold, black sand and heavies will sit in the tile and periodically you can pull it out
and check it instead of doing a full clean out.
In the pic i posted i also have a removable perforated mesh cover which dampens the flow onto the nugget trap tiles.
The way i work, i do a quick check in the trap every couple of hours so i know I'm on track and then do a full clean out at the end of each day.
If there is no yellow in the trap, i then walk around swearing for a while.

Cheers.

Latest posts