Advice on coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all i am going on a long trip to north qld and would like some advice on witch coil I should start with I have a 11" mono and DD
A 18" mono and a 15"x12" mono for a gpx 5000 I will use them all as to learn all I can myself about my machine I do understand a bit what each coil does but know I need more experience and time on the ground I would like the best chance to get first bit for the trip I will be spending up to 6 weeks detecting any advice from more experience persons would be much appreciate thank you
As I am sort of new to detecting I have found gold but have long way to go to learn all I can
Also thank you to all who have contribute to this site I have learnt so much from here

Hi 7an7,

There's definitely quite a bit of info here on those coil types and sizes, their uses etc. -even some great setting advice here and there offered up by the more experienced members.

Sounds like you have the basic sizes covered for now.

Just a thought... if possible, before you head off have a look at the new Detech, Nugget Finder Evolution or Coiltek Elite Coils. Perhaps one of those new coils will do you well up there as they will also cover the sensitivity range that you'd miss out on without something on board like an 8"x 6" or an 8" round mono. There are a few YouTube video's worth a look by WalnLiz, Nenad (Phase Technical), Stoppsy to name a few that have used some of these new coils.

I wish you all the best as it sounds like you have a great journey ahead! Good luck and I hope all goes smoothly.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

7an7 I just got a GPX4500 after selling my ATX. I'm going to treat it the same as I did with the ATX. I'm starting off with the Coiltek Elite 14" and it will stay attached until I learn the machine. If I had a little 8" mono that might be different but all my coils are similar in size 11" DD, 15"x12" mono and the 14" Elite. I have enough to learn without the differences served up by the variation in coil performance.

I know from all reports that the 14" Elite is a good match to the 4500 in most situations so all I have to do now is learn how to use it. I'm happy with my local trials so far apart from the shocking reaction to power lines 50m away. I'm still 1000km from the gold but it started paying for its self already with a 1966 one cent from a private property in Bunbury :)

Thanks guys for your info will do some study on info provided have been looking at the new coils from NF and coiltek have a couple of weeks to decide maybe a 8" I want to be thorough and take my time hopeful of a small patch to learn on with all coils and settings
Cheers

7an7 said:
Thanks guys for your info will do some study on info provided have been looking at the new coils from NF and coiltek have a couple of weeks to decide maybe a 8" I want to be thorough and take my time hopeful of a small patch to learn on with all coils and settings
Cheers

Mate
Where about's in the North are you heading???
If you are coming anywhere near Townsville I have a Sadie coil I reckon you could borrow 8x6 NF mono, I only say to borrow this coil because I suggest you purchase the 15" Evolution just based on the feedback, I normally run a 14" NF mono & I think it is the perfect size but the extra performance of the 15" with very little noticeable size difference is a good all round coil for most situations.
cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
7AN7

Mate from what I am hearing you would go wrong with a 15" Evolution coil by NF, have a look at the posts here http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t23283-nugget-finder-new-evolution-15-round-coil by Joe82 (I detect with Joe so I know he is straight up )

With the other coils you have most things covered except the 8" coil size for the crumbs, most folks will run mono's up here.
cheers
Lee
Hi rc62
Thanks for the link. I checked it out.
Joe talks about backing off gain as the day heats up.
Is this a common thing in Qld?
Do you know what the heat is doing to cause this?
I only ask as I have been noticing this same affect in Vic. In high heat you have to back gain off especially with the new detectors. I'm running a Coiltek 11" mono elite on s 4500.
Cheers Dignit

Lee
Thanks mate for the offer and your recommendation I do have another two coils
1457263469_image.jpg
i don't know much about so here's a pic I will be around Georgetown on some of the station and go from there coming across from Darwin and then maybe stay in north qld if I find some work I have a mate who lives in millaa millaa a shame not much work there as it's a beautiful place I would love to live work
1457263113_image.jpg

One of my friends/customers just dug up a 38 grammer in Clermont using the 15" Evo on a 5000. Earlier in the day he got a 22 grammer with the 17x11" Nugget finder advantage. The new 14x9" Evo coil will be out on the 11th March, and will be the smallest elliptical spiral wound coil on the market. Sensitivity should be amazing, but ground coverage better than the 11 or 12s. Should make a great patch hunting coil, or good in scrub without sacrificing depth

One of my mates recently tried my demo 15" Evo on his 4500 and was impressed and how quiet it ran.

But 7an7, with what you already have, I'd recommend trying to stick to the 15x12" commander in Fine Gold as much as possible. You'll get very good depth and sens. That was my favourite coil for many years

Phasetech
Cheers I think that sounds like the best idea for me using the 15"x12" and what I have already. learn all I can then get one of the new coils when I got more experience on the ground
Thanks brett

Dig'n-it said:
rc62burke said:
7AN7

Mate from what I am hearing you would go wrong with a 15" Evolution coil by NF, have a look at the posts here http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t23283-nugget-finder-new-evolution-15-round-coil by Joe82 (I detect with Joe so I know he is straight up )

With the other coils you have most things covered except the 8" coil size for the crumbs, most folks will run mono's up here.
cheers
Lee
Hi rc62
Thanks for the link. I checked it out.
Joe talks about backing off gain as the day heats up.
Is this a common thing in Qld?
Do you know what the heat is doing to cause this?
I only ask as I have been noticing this same affect in Vic. In high heat you have to back gain off especially with the new detectors. I'm running a Coiltek 11" mono elite on s 4500.
Cheers Dignit

Mate
From my experience I believe it is the "Thermal Mass" build up in the ground due to the harshness of the sun, this to me affects the coil field particularly in mineralised ground therefore needing to make adjustments, bearing in mind I use an SD2200 so no adjustment so I notice the difference more, I detect with guys who use GPXs
cheers
Lee

Latest posts