A newbie to the gippy area and to the prospecting world!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all...
ive recently move to the gippsland area and found myself contracting an addiction to this yellowish stuff found in the ground!! The first couple of times i went out i had no idea what i was doing and found myself just taking dirt from anywhere and panning it off, until i did a bit of research and found that i would of been very lucky if i had of found anything as i may aswel of just been digging dirt in my backyard...lol.. so after turning to google i got my first couple colours in my pan and then that was it, i had the bug immediately... i have been going out with my cousin and trying to show him a few things as i learn them myself, as i dont have my own transport atm which can be very frustrating when ya have the bug and cant just pack and go out for a scratch when im having withdrawals, (which is almost daily)...lol... anyway after learning a few things from youtube and reading up on a few areas close to home, i have managed to find my first gram of colour from around what looked like a little bit of bedrock on the side of a river, but as i started to clean it i found that it was actually just a mound of dirt and big boulders, i still have a bit more work to do in this spot even though its a small space im working, i think it not a bad take as its not very chunky stuff but from what i have read up on the area its known more for flour/flood gold,, i have actually just ordered myself a highbanker and will hopefully have it by next week so i can really work it over and get me some more of that yellow stuff...
i look forward to chatting and learning a few things from some of you more experienced prospectors in the future....

OH and P.S ;) if there is anyone out there in the gippy area that is looking for someone to fill a seat on an outing im always keen to help fill it... ;)

Cheers and my the gold be with you all

Welcome and yes that dam yellow stuff does it to everyone 8.(
What type of banker are you getting
And pump size in this game of cat and mouse size does seem to matter
Lots of reading and i am sure if you ask a question it will be answered
Have fun and stay safe :)

Cheers marksman..
Im getting the GS10 sluicey gold as its the smallest in its range and not to heavy to drag around... in your experience what is better to wash the hopper?? Spray bars or washing from the top end of the hopper??
Ive also ordered a jono&johno 2.5hp 4stroke 1" water pump with a flow rate of 100Lph, which i thought would be enough for the 700mm and its also not to heavy to lug around at 10kg..

i have the gs12 and the only thing i change was the legs
the hopper i never changed however my last one had spray bars and they were good
i think you mean 100lt per min but i would think that it should put more then that out per min ??
the pump is fine for that
mine is 1.5" only because i got it on special
but i am lazy i hate to walk unless i have a detector in my hand
i drive the Turtle where ever i set up the banker (coffee on hand)

Oh yea i was looking at the GS16 with spray bars but opted for the GS10 and thought i could make a spray bar later if need be... yea my bad Lpm..
Haha,, i love getting out and exploring and looking around and for places that havent been raped by others recently...

Do you do a bit of detecting aswel???
I also have an old coinmaster 6000/D detector that my pa used to use and had found a few things in his time with it... i honestly dont have any idea on how to set it up and so havent really taken it out.. would it pick up gold having the name "coin"master or would i be wasting my time swinging it???

Honestly i have no idea type it in you tube and see whar comes up
Yes i do a bit mostly parks and beaches where i am is only flour gold and need a few hours drive to get any where close to a nug
Lots of offers to property but a fair drive and the turtle is not that fast so it takes a while :)
With the banker as far as i am conserned bigger is not always better its what you feel comfortable with that matters

Latest posts