A little question about an idea I had

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liege69

Jacques
Reaction score
I came across a Video on YouTube whilst looking for details/reviews on the Falcon MD-20 and watched one called using the Falcon MD-20 in the creek. The video is dated December 21, 2011 and the author is a bloke called crampo. At the start he pans the camera across the creek and says that he was dredging and his dredge pump was playing up so he decided to do some crevicing and panning. The guys got an Aussie accent and after watching a review he did of a detector, I saw that he is a retailer from GLENREAGH N.S.W . Now call me crazy, but putting a video out there for all to see, especially engaging in illegal activity, isn't that just sticking it up the governing body and saying "catch me if you can". Is it any wonder that prospectors get a bad wrap.

I haven't seen a response regarding a hand pump, ie: the gold n sand variety, so I would assume that it is fine as it is after all manually driven by physically pumping, but I had an idea about designing a small ( really small ) dredge nozzle for crevicing and the water supply would come from a spray bottle ( the pump up pressure type ) used for spraying. Considering I have to pump up the bottle to get the water to flow, would this be legal. I realize there is a fine line do be drawn, as I wont be physically drawing water straight from a creek to run the pump.
I'm slightly a little confused as to whether something is permissible if it is not automated ( as in mechanically driven ) like a petrol powered dredge pump.

I look forward to some input from you guys.
Sincerely
Jack

That's the one docjohnson9, I thought the illegal status of dredging was Australia wide. I was reading a forum on this web site earlier about it and someone mentioned that the people that do it illegally or in particular as the topic was about naming and shaming I was surprised that noone had come across the video and mentioned it.

Ramjet, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out, the legality of the mini/ hand pumped crevicing tool. I also toyed with the idea of getting a hand wound pump, like the ones you'd find at the mechanics workshop sitting on top of a 44 gal drum of oil. Thing is, if you actually made it to the end of the day winding the thing, you'd end up with one arm like Arnie Schwarzenegger and on the drive home my arm would be hanging out the door and not on the steering wheel lol.

That is my number one question, for dredging ( or the likes ) would it be legal on a small scale if one was using a device that was hand operated, like the gold n sand pump

Here's the thing.....based only on conversations I've had. Dredging was banned because of political pressure and was the response to that political pressure. Since the ban the loudest voice is now the green one. As for legalities about dredging it's pretty cut and dry but so is not wearing a seat belt or talking on your phone whilst driving.

What I see you're angling it is like when mobile companies brought out a hands free kit. But they would have submitted to the authorities to check if it could be done.

My advice, talk to the authorities, the local ones where you intend to use it and see how you go. I know some here will he like "Don't go stirring them up, it brings undue attention et al. " Realistically though they are the only ones that can decide. Chances are it's a no but try your luck. If in doubt about anything ask and get a written reply.

Cover yourself and others that way. Truth be told for the most part they don't like "grey" areas, and I can empathize in Vico. Basically if you move it by hand from a legal area and use whatever process to get your gold your good to go. Bit of backfilling, and couple other minor regs. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me which is why they frown at grey areas. Better off cultivating a good prospecting buddy and a handy engineer and make the gains that way than risk it, but hey that's just me.

My personal oppinion is that 'gravity suction' is legal as its non-mechanical. Any other dredge that sucking / venturii with a pump is illegal and I'd destroy one in front of the bloke who's using one, just to save my own a$$. You can only use a gravity dredge with great difficulty in certain areas too.

Hand crevicing tools like yabbie pumps are legal..its why its called a 'hand' dredge.

This is my own oppinion only based on what I call hand / mechanical powered.

Its been almost 30 years since mechanical dredging has been banned. Its had long enough for the rules to be recognised by all and confuses me that its still talked about.

Just because someone else is doing it, it doesn't mean it needs to be repeated.

Different state to state, but in NSW:

What techniques cannot be used for fossicking?
Neither explosives nor dredges can be used in fossicking.
Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery.

Does not talk about the type of dredge, just says dredges can't be used.

Latest posts