3d printing, is this viable or not?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieChris

Checks in from time to time.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found some open source .STL files on the internet by accident really and was wondering for those of you into 3d printing....is it viable at 250mm width? cost-effective? also depending on the print material would it work or be too rigid? I understand a home 3d printer is prob not going to print something this big but possibly some of the online print services?

1508921326_95ef6002d263b2accfd671dc134b6903_preview_featured.jpg

Bought the kids an Aldi 3D printer , the first item cost a bomb but the rest of them are free.

bed size is the only limiting factor, but can't see why they can't be tiled together with silicon to make them fit any width. Away from home ATM so not sure if the print width works but should be able to scale the code to suit the print bed.

PM or email me the link to the source code and I will get the little genius's to have a crack

Ill just toss them all into the downloads section at the top of the page mate? Someone might be able to give it a crack, I had it in my head laser cut rubber too but from what I can see cost wise so far might as well just buy Gold Hog mats, lol always thinking.....sometimes if I'm up late or tossing round not able to sleep my missus asks me......you better not be thinking about gold prospecting!

Thanks OP, read that thread all the way through, kinda inspired hehe. Looks to me flexible filaments would work wonders, it's funny but even a year after that post 3d filaments have improved a long way. Not sure I'm ready to drop $$ on my own printer just yet, but I might look at online print services as they are using equipment out of reach for most home users, printers with much larger bed etc. Might give these guys a call http://www.clicknprint3d.com.au/

Latest posts