3 Weeks in Victoria!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello mates, I'm headed to Melbourne for most of the month of May. I've never been to Australia. I have done a lot of gold hunting in Arizona, Nevada and California where I live. I'll be coming with an Equinox 800 for a bit of beach detecting and a 7000 for the goldfields. I hope to take back some trinkets and nuggets!

There are some mates that I know from another forum operated by Steve Herschbach called Detector Prospector.

I've been detecting on the beaches since the 80s with a White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Pro. I took a long break to let life happen and started looking for gold in 2010 with a Minelab 5000. I'm somewhat sorry that I didn't cut my teeth with earlier models but I now have several other Minelabs. I've run into patches and found some large nuggets, small nuggets and many meteorites. I once won the Minelab find of the month with some meteorites from Arizona.

My plans are rather open after I get my legs and wits about me but I know that 20 days will go by quickly. I just registered so I need to start reading some topics here and have a better idea what is happening.

Mitchel

Good luck out there Mitchel, how good would some Aussie gold be. How long you in Aus and you going state by state? Sounds like an extended holiday in any case so good onya and hope you get some good finds. Stru

I was on the Road Runner claims I didn't find any thing. I was with a group and between everyone there was probably 1 gram found all small, gold monster, gold bug stuff.
I'm going to Gold Basin in May, get one more trip in before it gets to hot!!

Gday mn90403,
Where abouts in the gold fields are you thinking about having a look ? Some areas to research whould be Bendigo, Maryborough , Dunolly . Drop into one of the local prospecting shops they should point you in the right direction alternatively I would highly recommend you take Diggit up on his generous offer as hes a good bloke and knows his stuff , even if he talks a bit funny .
Cheers Booney.

MegsyB007 said:
Welcome Mitchel,
May in Victoria... Make sure you bring warm clothes, it can be cold and wet in May.
I hope the weather's kind to you.

You'll need a Miner's Right to prospect for gold here, and to know the areas that are banned to prospecting, that are listed on the website where you purchase the Miner's Right. http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources-regulation/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Megsy

Megsy,

Thanks for the info.

Getting the Miner's Right was made easy and I had one of those within a day of deciding on the trip. I'll just bring along my winter clothes I used a few times this season. I'm not quite done with prospecting over here yet. It will be close to freezing when I go to northern Nevada this weekend but in the 50s during the day.

I'm told there are places with more weather than others so some rain can be avoided. I'm bringing some rain gear. :D

Mitchel

Jackaroo said:
I was on the Road Runner claims I didn't find any thing. I was with a group and between everyone there was probably 1 gram found all small, gold monster, gold bug stuff.
I'm going to Gold Basin in May, get one more trip in before it gets to hot!!

I found a few pieces as a guest on the RR claims a couple of years ago. I only went to the QMD Club Super Hunt this year.

Gold Basin was good to a few detectorists this year but not to me. I went about 4 times and only got a couple of little guys. I did get meteorites!

diggit said:
Welcome Mitchel,
Enjoy your trip. I'm in Melbourne also so happy to show you some beaches here and some places to hunt the yellow gold.
Regards
Diggit

Diggit,

Thank you for the offer and I'll probably take you up on it when I know more about my itinerary. I'll be staying roughly in the Bendigo area at the beginning and end of my trip and not outside of Victoria the entire trip.

I'm told to be aware of the weather so I'll have to adjust my schedule which I'm prepared to do.

Mitchel

Latest posts