3 Pre-Decimal finds in 5 Metres !!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1534831539_img_0710.jpg
Went down a little sandy track that winds along the river where everyone walks there dogs , I thought probably a dead end but beats going around in circles at the beach lol , first 5 -6 hits were spendables (well when I clean them anyway) and in a space of about 5 metres I snapped up a 1949 threepence , 1960 sixpence and as a cherry on top a 1959-1960 (extremely crusty and hard to tell) threepence , these make 4 pre-decimals in a week! the detector gods were smiling on me today !!
Plus $1.10 in spendables (after a couple of hours in the tumbler , I'm going to soak the pre-dec in lemon juice for a day or so but the crud is really baked on .......
Does anyone have a (pardon the pun) solution that may work for the pre-decs , I'm wondering whether the tumbler would ruin them so at the moment its a last resort , sorry for the poor pictures , I'm not a camera person.
1534831454_img_0704.jpg

I love tracks and what gets spilt along the way, nice hunt

Check out the how to clean coins thread, or search for CAB (citric acid bath)

Hi mate..This is what alot of us do and it works well...Soak the silvers in vinegar and sprinkle of salt for a few hours until the crusty bits come off....Then rinse in clean water ...(If theres no crusty bits start with the lemon juice)....Then lemon juice 24hrs ....then slight rub with bicarb soda and drop of water between thumb and finger...rinse and repeat until shining :Y:

i only soak my silvers in lemon and only for 1 or 2 hours .the copper coins i just give them a soapy water bath which just cleans them enough to read them . depends on what the soil was they came from and if it had fertilizer applied at all.silvers are lot easier to clean than copper thats for sure .
johno

Pre-decimals can occur where you least expect them, though river edges for me in the past have proved to be good locations for older coins (picnics etc). Go to the supermarket and in the baking section you can buy a container of citric acid, usually only takes minutes rather than hours to clean up 50% silvers (dependent on oxidation levels & acid strength). Nice hunting. :Y:

The beach silvers I get take at least 4hrs in salt and vinegar and then on average 24hrs in lj ..Citric acid just not as strong as Lemon juice in my experience but will be fine for slightly stained silvers....It will all depend on what they look like and where you found them..Sea silvers are alot differnt to soil silvers.:Y: Good luck :Y:

Dave79 said:
Good score mate! Is that a silver ring too? Gotta love it when a dubious spot comes up with the goods.
Hi Dave Im pretty sure the ring is a junker , I soaked it along with my old coins, they cane up nicely and the ring is still black.... lol
But hey at least I know it will find rings !!!

If the ring is black then it is most likely siolver that has been there a very very long time, scrape it on concrete if you don't care about damageing it and it most likely will be shiny silver under all the oxidisation.

Latest posts