2nd Nugget Theory

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After pinging my first nugget at the last PA event at Nundle I've been itching to get out for a swing again and test out the theory that the first is the hardest to find and they then start coming in much faster.

Well, I finally made it out on the weekend and pinged a 0.37 grammer on my first hole of the day! Would have been happy with just that but about 15 metres away I broke the 1 gram mark with another nugget 1.13 grams after lunch.

1393236902_nuggets20140222sm.jpg

So I think that confirms the theory for me :D

Thanks Nugget, I'm looking forward to getting out again soon and chasing the first ounce.

My gold count was higher on Saturday than my rubbish count (only found 1 bit of junk) so will be hard to replicate that ratio.

Well the thing that amazes me is the amount of people that walk out and straight away find one piece on a side of hill,or somewhere,and then they detect the area with great care and find no more,this has happened to me on many times.It is like that you are draw to one and only piece there.

Nice looking gold there sirdigsalot, keep them coming mate. I think 2014 is going to be the year of the nugget for some of us fellas on the forum. :D

Well done SDI and I'm 100% sure about that theory. Right machine, right frame of mind, and as they say, you end up making your own luck rather than relying on lady luck herself. Can see you joining the one ounce club this year .....keep that coil on the ground and best of luck on the next hunt.

Wal.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys, sharing the finds makes the hobby all the more enjoyable as well!

"The year of the nugget" is a classic Roscoe so I'm running with that for sure :D

@Wal, spot on mate I'm finding that I'm much more confident in guessing what I'm hearing now and getting it right a fair amount of the time - those nuggets definitely had the right sound to them that's for sure. Thanks again for all the advice from you and guys on this forum, the guys at the Nundle trip and Bruce down in Warwick as it'd take years to learn what I have about detecting in 3 months otherwise.

thedigger said:
Well the thing that amazes me is the amount of people that walk out and straight away find one piece on a side of hill,or somewhere,and then they detect the area with great care and find no more,this has happened to me on many times.It is like that you are draw to one and only piece there.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's really strange but I'm not complaining :D There must be more nuggets out there with my name on it so I'm hoping it'll happen again.

I wish it'd been that way round for me. It seems I'm in the group who had beginners luck and now it's run out. Got my first few nuggets in about 10 hours detecting (3 grams) in SA in presumably flogged ground. All nuggets found had a very strong signal so I'd imagine anyone with a detector would have heard them had they placed their coil over them. Scoured the areas I found these nuggets in for weeks and worked my way out and around for a couple hundred hours with different coils and settings and still no more to add to the collection. That's the story of gold I guess.

Sounds like a dream start nuggetino but pretty frustrating if you've put in hundreds of hours and haven't found more.

How deep were the first ones? I've found low and slow is the way to go and identifying the faint targets as you're going. If your first ones were loud then it may have thrown you off a bit as not all of them are loud.

The 0.37 grammer was near a tree I know someone has worked to death (they call it Corey's tree apparently) - that nugget just sounded like faint ground noise and I nearly discarded it as I was running it over the coil after digging - due to the shape it was just a really faint noise which is why it was still there.

That 11" Mono is awesome. I Tried it out last weekend.

Have now purchased a 14" Nugget Finder. I am looking for a coil to replace the 11" with deeper targets without loosing much the 11" would find.

Awesome nugget !! I have found also that if your out there looking...the Gold Gods will reward your hard work, and the nuggets will come.

Latest posts