24 pound magnetic suspect meteorite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I remember reading somewhere that metallic meteorites didn't have internal voids, hope for your sake I'm wrong. Tried the Nickel/acid test?and I guess some microphotography would be conclusive. Good luck

fatbellied expert said:
Do you have the piece that has been sawn
Off?
Someone on here will probably offer more than $5 000 just for the offcut ( maybe). :eek:

Have you tested for streak? Rub it on the back of a tile or unglazed bottom of a mug and let us know if it leaves a colour.
Jon

Throw er up on ebay for an auction then and see what the world recons,.. could end up shooting up to a high price (as long as th cut don't detract from it),... maybe stand it up on the cut end for the ebay photos, sose it looks like it was cut on purpose just for that special look on the desk top, or next to the door. I take it your gunna sell it anyways, so why not just get rid of it as a whole lump, you could be surprised watching the fierce competition of the bidding war right at the end,... or, if you were to take the risk and go with no reserve you could watch it disappear for the cost of a sixpack even (luck of the draw I suppose).
Maybe at least make sure that the buyer pays the freight so you don't end up in the red on the whole deal,.? When the world votes it can easily go either way. :D

Personally it take it to the closest main city museum. Do not let them take it..keep it in your possession, but get it analysed by them.
The museum if they want it, could give a hefty pricetag

azman722 said:
it has passssed all home tests even the streak test

Which was? It also has to be tested properly with a hard surface. Does it attract a paperclip? The outside looks like a coating to me and doesn't look how a meteorite should. There are no dimply things whatever they're called and it has pitting, just like a normal rock. But if my eyes don't deceive me in the sawn section there are voids square and pyramidic in shape, just like magnetite crystals. Only an expert can advise you on inspection and testing of the specimen but I would lean towards saying you have magnetite based on the photos.
Jon

Maybe the magnets are sttracting the meteo...?rock, instead of the rock attracting anything,.... maybe it's an iron type thingy,... space slag (maybe). :|

azman722 said:
was taken to a rock show in quartzsite az where both meteorite people said they think it is
What are the names of the meteorite people ? :)

azman722 said:
the two guys that sell meteorites in quartzsite az and the meteorite men fro nat geo all said they believe that it is and will pay for the test for me
Why not just bite the bullet and get the test done. ??
It's not like it's gunna cost you anything to do it at all. :|

azman722 said:
i do have a appt with a collector in feb
Who's the collector?
Maybe we could research him for you and make sure he's legit,.... we love making sure people are legit,... be good to help you out a lot. :)

I see on the ebay site the cut and sliced ones,... why not get a1cm slice taken off where you have it cut already and slice that into rectangles the same as eegooblago is offering,.. then see what someone will pay for a little bit,...but you probably need to have the testing report so you could privide providence with the bits as well as geographical details of the find. :)

Have emailed pics of suspected meteorites to the person who runs the site linked below. You will get an informed, straightforward yes or no. I keep reading updates to this topic but I'm getting dizzy from going round in circles :D

I'm happy to email the pics off to him if you like ;)

http://www.meteorites.com.au/found.html

azman722 said:
i will try the paperclips today but it is only attracts magnets not metal is that bad
On the clean face it should not attract a paperclip, hang the clip off a bit of cotton.
Jon

Latest posts