2013 finds Silver_Fox

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Fox

Paul
Reaction score
Got out for a couple of hours this morning for a bit of detecting, pulled up a German 2 1/2 silbergroschen 1856!
I also got a 1927 3 pence and a 1919 half penny.

Sorry about the picture being a bit blury...

1383200746_german_coin.jpg

SF

That's an unusual coin there mate, nice find. Never found a german coin before, its amazing what turns up.....roscoe

I found an 1875 English 1/2 penny and a Dutch 10 cent piece in the same area the week before...
Funny thing was, a few days earlier I was chatting to a mate about small coins and I mentioned the Dutch 10 cent piece, few days later I find one! lol

SF

I found a 1990 NZ dollar, a 2004 US cent and a 1985 Canadian cent today. I blame backpackers that hang around the area.

The other week i found an old US president Lincoln one cent coin. I was not expecting that one.

It's amazing how many forin coins are out there. I was watching one of willow's YouTube clips and he kept finding Asian coins around this little pond, he found more than Australian coins!
SF

The oldest coin i have found so far is a 1808 french silver franc, it has napoleon on it. I like finding the overseas coins, but i would rather like to find a sov....roscoe

Had a great day metal detecting today.
Went out with a mate to an old reserve here in Canberra. We found heaps of predecimal coins, I was stoked to find 2 shillings (one being a 1910!!) and 2 florins, my find is pictured below. I did find heaps of junk amongst all the goodies, including 17 bullets!

1384586468_1-_16_11_13_swiff_in_the_park.jpg

The last couple of digs didn't produce any predecimals, so I made up for it today with a nice silver haul ;)
Thanks Rob and duck :p

The 1 & 2c coins are a pain in the butt, however, I have a work colleague that is a War Hammer geek, he paints his own figurines (he does other fantasy games that have figurines). He find the 1 & 2c coins are fantastic weights for the figurines, he is happy to take them from me, he also gives them to his other War Hammer friends. So constantly digging them up is no where near as bad, at least they can go to good use :p. I would say over the last 12 months I have got something like 1000 of the blighters!
The thing that pesters me the most are the ring pulls, I just can't discriminate against them all :mad:. I'm getting the Garrett AT Pro International soon (waiting on delivery :p ), so hopefully this will solve my problems!

SF

Hi Silver fox yes the ring pulls are annoying, but I still get caught by them.I have an AT Pro International and the current ring pulls read 53 on the AT Pro the same as a 10 cent piece. so just keep digging mate ;) besides you can do what I do and donate them to people who exchange them for wheel chairs to help people that are struggling.
cheers Rob

I do the same Rob.
I have a lady at work who collects the ring pulls for wheel chairs, she loves me because I bring her so many! haha

Good question!
I never give the circular ones, only the rectangular ones... If I remember, tomorrow at work I'll ask the lady I give them too :)

SF

In particular, are the ones that are supposed to stay on, worth more than 10cents?

Latest posts