1st Day At Gympie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I got up at 5.30 and got going from Deception Bay by 6.17 and got the the fossicking area at 8.00. Made my way down to creek, and got set up, tried the crevice sucker in a hole, lots of clay no gold, tried the creek bed, no gold, tried in some layers in the bank, no gold. Then about 9.00 I heard a voice say, "G/day" I replied and we started talking, seems Steve is from Caboolture, and we chatted for a bit, and he asked if I found any color, and I said, no.

He told me about this other site just up the other way opposite from the Counter St entrance, so we had a little dig in this bank inbetween these layers and after a few pans got a nice little color, then he got one, all Up I got 3 nice size ones and some very find. Lot's of clay which we had to break up really well.

So it's good to meet up with people, the weather was awesome, not too hot. He has had a look at the forum and is going to join, so we are going to organize another trip to Gympie and make another day of it.

Will post a picture when I get the colors cleaned and into a jar.

Len

No not private property, and yeah Cody we'll let you know next time we're coming up, bit buggered today, just getting back into this, got some bark off fingers from getting into a hole, and scraping dirt out, fell over in the creek twice, my left knee had a total knee replacement in May, but it's pretty good. Just some soft muddy stuff in creek tripped me up, luckily didn't hurt my self too much, 2nd time Steve said, "you down again" Yep, and kept talking, funny when you think about it.

Still a great day out, we've got 4 of us now gonna try and meet up, M3, Steve, Cody and I, should be a fun good group. You know when you get home, you just wished you had more time to get into a certain area, was thinking 'boy' if I live in Gympie I would nearly be out every day.

Cheers

Len

As painful as they are the slips just have to be walked off..if they can. Wow have i seen and had some rippas! Usually becomes the laugh and motivator of the day and its always fun if not just one, but all slip over through the day. Especially towards the end of digging when everones buggered and jelly legged.

Sounds like you have someone to have a dig with out there some days Smithy if you blokes get in contact :)

Yeah Atom Rat, that's for sure, not as sure footed as I used to be, but I'm getting fitter and strengthening this knee up. Yeah I spend 6 hrs out there, and by then I was buggared, but had such an awesome day. Yeah teed up 3 blokes now, Steve who I met yesterday is going to join the forum so that's good.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, it's good to get back into panning after some 20 odd years.

Cheers

Len

Here is my colors from yesterday at Gympie.

6aFEGG7.jpg

Hahaha nice trip/story mate.
Give me a buzz next time your up...i live around the corner.
Give you some history lessons... :D

Hi Yobskin, yean sure will, you could come for a pan with us if it's possible. PM your Mob No then mate. Would be great to catch up.

Cheers

Len

Hey len. Good to spend the day with you mate and glad you got a couple specks. Keen to catch up again soon hopefully with a couple more members
Cheers steve

Hey Steve, you joined, good on ya mate. Yeah thanks for helping me out, getting up the bank hahah. Yeah would be keen to get out again soon, Yobskin contacted me and mentioned when we come up again he will meet up with us and give us some local history, also Kezz and Cody are keen, Cody also live in Gympie, so we'll give him a call next time we head up.

Welcome to the forum.....way to go good blokes here, and plenty of help and tips, I love this place

Cheers

Len

Tribsa 56 said:
Hey len. Good to spend the day with you mate and glad you got a couple specks. Keen to catch up again soon hopefully with a couple more members
Cheers steve

Hey Steve, see at the end of this thread, M3 is another member keen for a meet up.

Yeah, you got it right there. Would like to do a recce next time, been looking at the map, i'll bring it next time. See if we can find some untouched ground. Might be hard, but we can give it a try, what do you think?

Latest posts