1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make some time and spend a few hours on myswag and use the search facility for all things CT related.
It really does cover everything.

If its only for the battery and electronic gear i would say its to big
As LW said the bigger the box the more stuff
I would go one about twice the size of the battery that would hold everything you need

keep in mind your ball weight and overall weight. It should have a GVM listed on a plate somewhere.
Too much crap and you'll need new suspension.

The ball weight is 250kg
I need a place for the batteries and electrics, but I also need space to keep the gas bottle and other items as well as using it as a counter weight to the 85 litre water tank at the back of the camper.
I can also look at a smaller box size as well, its not a big deal. ;)

7.62marksman said:
I was told by the rms that gas bottles were not allowed to be mounted on the front or rear of trailers
I am still trying to work out where to put them myself :mad: :mad:
Well that doesn't leave many places to put one .. inside the camper under the bed base ????

I think if you are already at 250kg tow ball weight without box on drawbar then you have some redesigning to do ? Original GVM is probably only around 750 kg and ball weight rule of thumb should not exceed 10% of towed weight. My camper is 1600kg fully loaded and ball weights only 80kg. Could be hard to get around as original design of your trailer has axle set heavily biased to the rear.
Fill the box and an empty water tank in rear and the ball weight will go even higher ?

1507552929_camper_weighbridge_ticket_1.jpg

:|
Gas storage also has to be marked ................. but then that all changes depending on state registered.

7.62marksman said:
Just dont smoke in bed :8 :8 you could get a shock
The trailer i am doing it will be mounted on or near the left guard
It seems thats the only place left
My gas is in lockers on side of camper but as said has to have the approved label showing it's content

Bogger said:
I think if you are already at 250kg tow ball weight without box on drawbar then you have some redesigning to do ? Original GVM is probably only around 750 kg and ball weight should be approx. 10% of towed weight. My campers 1600kg fully loaded and ball weights only 100kg
Fill the box and an empty water tank in rear and the ball weight will go even higher ?
:|
Im not at 250kg tow ball weight with the camper Bogger ..That is the rating of the tow ball 250 kg ..
The water tank the ply bed board and frame is all the weight in the camper so far. Water tank empty less then a couple of kilos full 85 kg.
I want to move the spare wheel from the back to the front and see if that helps balance the trailer..
Thats the thing I have to experiment with moving things around to get the right counter balance for the weight of the water tank when its full.

The only way I can do that, is with the tool box, batteries spare wheel and later the kitchen which will be about 20kg plus about 20<30 kg food stores..
I doubt that I will reach 250-300 kg gross weight over all with what I am planing to do.
:eek: 7.62 that means I dont have any place to put the gas bottle then :eek:
So a roof basket on top of the Prado is the only place I could legally put it ?

Can the water tank fit underneath the trailer in the middle? Many are set up like this so when you use the water it doesn't upset the balance.
Have a look here to see the importance of balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM
So in your case if you started with a full tank and used it all up during the trip it would add 80kg to the ball weight, that's better than reducing it by 80kg, but still not fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-hUX8memY

Latest posts