14 x 9 Evolution Coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About to invest in a 14 x 9 Evo coil . Does anyone have good evidence that they are better than , A Sadie , Standard 11 inch mono or other coils on the market or it it just sales hype? I will be using it on my 5000.

Far from being the expert but personally super happy with the two evo coils I have but for my limited knowledge a 14 x 9 compared to an 11" one would be better than the other situation pending ie type of ground being walked over at the time? 14 x 9 more depth ............... then the pros and cons of elliptical against round, open against closed also to throw in the mix. For me it's not so much which is the better coil but perhaps which is the better coil suitable to the conditions at the time.
I'm sure others much wiser than I in applications suitable for different coils will add more ................... just my 2 cents

Ive got a 14 x 9 evo and a 15 spoke evo.
Guy I met last time out has an 12" evo round on a 5000, he finds more gold than me (I use a 4500) but uses his on Fine gold setting, which I don,t have.
The coil is a bit noisy on hot ground, I need to run my stabalizer on about 5 in some areas here, which is pretty hot ground.
I got the 14 x 9 because of the long grass we have for 6 months of the year.
I would expect a sadie would be more sensitive than the 14 x 9, but hey, i don't have the money for more coils!
If i did it again, I would toss a coin for the 12" or the 14 x 9.

My cards on the table I do some testing for NF . I do not use Sadie coils
as for the 11 commander mono they are a very good coil
The 14x9 evo yes with all the new generation coils Coiltek and Nugget Finder they are getting targets at a greater depth on all size target.With the 14x9 comparing it to a Sadie there is gold that the 14 evo will get and the sadie will not ,the evo gets small gold at good depth .
You only have to look how many people have found gold on old patch's that has been left with the older type coils regards john :)

Thank you very much for the great responses. I detected next to an SDC last year at Tibooburra and the SDC seemed to get slightly more gold at depth than my 5000 & Sadie , and from the feedback the word Depth is what I am seeing. If I can get that extra depth for the cost of a coil I'll be a happy camper . I' m heading out to Tibooburra late July / Early August so I will do some testing and post the results

I think the Sadie and 6" detech may have a very slight edge on the tiniest of flakes, but their depth drops off rapidly as target size starts to increase. The 14x9 evo will beat the 11" standard mono for sensitivity hands down, better for working thick scrub, and greater coverage at depth, due to the elongated search pattern of an elliptical, which will pay dividends in big open areas like Tibooburra

davent said:
Ive got a 14 x 9 evo and a 15 spoke evo.
Guy I met last time out has an 12" evo round on a 5000, he finds more gold than me (I use a 4500) but uses his on Fine gold setting, which I don,t have.
The coil is a bit noisy on hot ground, I need to run my stabalizer on about 5 in some areas here, which is pretty hot ground.
I got the 14 x 9 because of the long grass we have for 6 months of the year.
I would expect a sadie would be more sensitive than the 14 x 9, but hey, i don't have the money for more coils!
If i did it again, I would toss a coin for the 12" or the 14 x 9.

The new coils have so much sensitivity, and a sharper target response, you can be quite conservative with your Rx Gain. Don't be afraid to drop it as low as 5 or 6 on your 4500 if needed. If EMI is an issue, don't forget about Quiet Audio Type - often does the trick, but when using Quiet audio, I'd never have my Stabilizer lower than 12, and usually 14 or higher.

Does having the stabilizer set around 5 , on enhance reduce the depth and or sensitivity of the coil, or the machines response.
With the 15" on a 1/2 gram test piece, I am getting about 2 inches.....

Generally speaking Stabilizer on 5 is very low. In medium ground that can handle a very high Rx Gain, a low stabilizer may be the go. What you are doing is basically dropping the Noise floor of the machine. Yes it makes the threshold very smooth, but you are making it hard for a faint signal to say "peak a boo" ;)

Try Quiet Audio and Stabilizer 14.

So I can have my gain lower than my stabiliser? I was under the impression that I should try and keep gain 4 digits above my stab, or at least 2, to allow the room for processing of the signal?

Your stabilizer doesn't change how affected your detector is to EMI or ground, only the perceived stability. So yes, Gain should be where it needs to be, then set stabilizer accordingly.

I am very happy with my new 14x9 Evo, recently did some tests in hot red dirt near here, the 14x9 was able to hear a 2 grain nugget easily to 2" depth. This is a great all around coil, I doubt it will leave much behind worth digging. I am down to using two coils now on my gpx4500, the 14x9 Evo for all around use and the round 14" elite for deep cleanup. Makes life much simpler for me.

mxt sniper said:
I am very happy with my new 14x9 Evo, recently did some tests in hot red dirt near here, the 14x9 was able to hear a 2 grain nugget easily to 2" depth. This is a great all around coil, I doubt it will leave much behind worth digging. I am down to using two coils now on my gpx4500, the 14x9 Evo for all around use and the round 14" elite for deep cleanup. Makes life much simpler for me.
!4x9/10 coils are the perfect all rounder I think, they are the best of both worlds,

John.

Great bids, thanks nenad. Will try opening up my stab more. It is just so hard to get an uninterrupted threshold here. Burps and squarks every where.
To get my 4500 smoothish last week. I was running.
Enhance, audio normal, special extra, stab 7 gain 9,target vol 18, found 1/nug . 48 reckon its really good ground though. Will go tomorrow, swap it around a bit.

Will try stab 11, gain 8/7, audio quiet.

Just out of interest, so far with my 14/9 evo I've found nearly all my gold, the 15 open, only 4 bits, but I use the 14/9 a lot more.

Just out of interest, so far with my 14/9 evo I've found nearly all my gold, the 15 open, only 4 bits, but I use the 14/9 a lot more.
1474328528_img_20160920_091135.jpg

Latest posts