14 kg's Aussie Gold Found

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lucky bugger.

36 Kg Quartz Specimen Found Containing aprox 14 kgs of Gold

A regular customer came into the Miners Den Sydney store and brought in an enormous 36 KILOGRAM specimen of quartz the other day. Hed found it with his Minelab GPX 5000 metal detector very close (within 25 feet) of his last major find.

He brought in the quartz because Id asked him to show me the next chunk before he crushed it to extract any gold. We photographed the quartz and found that it did indeed have a strong metal content inside.

This specimen triggered a strong response from the Minelab GPX 5000 metal detector and even the stores Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pin Pointer before crushing....

Source http://www.blog.minersdenaustralia...._Australia_13_Nov_11_13_2012&utm_medium=email

The guy who runs the store , Walter , told me of this guys last previous find, which was 2 Kilo after crusshing a large chunk of quartz, he is certainly onto a major reef & I know of only the vicinity , but not enough to go there :(

Man am i glad i bought me detector now, how many people would even have given that rock so much as a second glance? had it not been for his detector it would still be sitting there today

I'm wondering how many people detect a rock like that and think
it's a hot rock. I'm the curious type I'd always break a bit off and
check it.

Heatho said:
I'm wondering how many people detect a rock like that and think
it's a hot rock. I'm the curious type I'd always break a bit off and
check it.

exactly.

i have cracked a few open . but in hindsight i think " not often enough "

lets not have too many skidmarks on our learning curve

wonder if the guy who found it is reading our pages ? would love to hear his opinions and theories on geology but he probably wont hear us chatting over the sound of his pick bouncing off a quartz reef

Yeah probably not ever likely to hear the story, understandable,
but would be interesting. I'm pretty sure the lucky prospector
was/is a member of another forum. Inspiring though to keep
searching.

Heatho said:
Yeah probably not ever likely to hear the story, understandable,
but would be interesting. I'm pretty sure the lucky prospector
was/is a member of another forum. Inspiring though to keep
searching.

Yeah , Its intelligent for him to tell nobody at all until he has finished extracting all he wants . He put in the work to find it so the guy deserves the rewards.

maybe one day when he has finished buying his cattle station in the Hunter and condo on the Gold Coast , parked up his ferrari in the garage at home next to the porsche and then he might kick back in a comfy chair and share some photos of the geology in question to help with our general knowledge.

'twould be cool bananas

happy days to all :)

I don't want to sound like a killjoy, sceptic or a smarty, and I know im only a newie, but why would you take a pic of it with no gold showing anywhere, then break it open and not bother to take a pic of it when there would have been an awesome display of gold to see? All my mates and everyone I know, if they are going to bother with pictures of their finds like species always get the shot of the gold showing. A lump of quartz that size if it had that much gold in it in any shape or form would have looked amazing. All a bit odd to me!

Hi Jon , the gold was so fine, you could not see it, even when the rock was broken into small peices, it wasnt seen until melted out. Cheers Paul

Yeah Paul, I heard that about that bit too. I saw the pic a while ago. My only problem with that is this. (Not having a go at you or what you said in your post.) I highly doubt the pinpointer would pick up on fine gold at all. If it was in concentration enough for it too then the gold would have been visible for sure, even if it was predominantly fine, it would need to be in concentrations for a pin pointer to react on. That would be in mineral seam or mineral cluster concentrations and not just scattered throughout the quartz. Here's the thing with pinpointers, if it detects, its visible. That's the bit about the story I heard that does not add up.

Just a quick not for the new guys, I have never had a false signal from quartz. Iron stone attached to quartz maybe. The type of specie shown in the first post link, should never be walked away from or dismissed. For a small specie commonly found while detecting that doesn't show gold but gives a signal, try wrapping it in a rag and placing it on a hard rock. Give it a smack with the bottom of your pick and you should be rewarded with the most beautiful purest gold you will ever see. With all this said, if you have an unbalanced machine, you may get a falsing type of signal off a sharp edge of any type of rock including quartz so always keep your machine balanced or at least balance it if your not sure of your target. Do not balance over your target.
Very nice gold shown, indeed.

Hi headbut17/Paul,

So it is possible for my detector to find me gold that I can't see? I never knew.

Also are you saying that this specimen contained no visible gold? How did he know the specimen was worth crushing & smelting & not simply a false signal?

Is that Gold on the side of the rock in the 1st picture or just a moss?

I am not disagreeing in any way, simply trying to learn :)

You mentioned in an earlier post that you believe you know the general region where he is searching. Care to give an indication?

Cheers, Matt :)

Hi Matt , I was in the Miners Den store, about a week after the guy had his 1st find. The guy who runs the store, Walter ,told me about a guy who got a big signal, dug up a slab of quartz, put his detector back in the hole & zero. Put the detector back on the quartz & got a signal again. No visible gold on it. He took it home crushed it, as he had built his own crusher & still saw zero in the small rocks. Then by whatever process , he went the next step,to melt the gold out & got 2 kg.He showed it to Walter. I assume that would also be the story with this massive chunk. Cheers Paul

anyone tempted to dolly up quartz and smelt it to check for gold , keep in mind the safety issues

smashing up quartz may produce silica dust which can cause silicosis ( lung disease ) and fumes from melting the dust also is unhealthy

Does anyone know if P2 class respirators are enough to protect against this stuff ?

My knowledge on the topic is minimal , anyone that knows more about it please correct me or add more detail to the above.

-------------

remember : there is no point doing things " for a living " if it takes your life

I also have a question about this fine gold. I was once told that a machine will not see gold that is finer than what the detector is normally capable of detecting if it is spread around even though there may be lots of it. The detector must apparently have it in a size big enough to be detectable as lets say a lump or thin sheet like foil. So my question is, how does a detector see small gold that is not visible and is spread throughout a target rock, as in this case. Or was there some larger areas of gold even though it may be thin in this specimen that made it detectable. Maybe it was because it was mostly connected in some way even though very fine, it may have collected enough of a field to have given a signal. I remember one piece of gold that was sun baking and was about 1 gram in weight but gave little to no signal even when out of the ground and slid back and forth across the coil. It was very reefy with no solid structure at all. I would love to know a bit more about this phenomenon and how this big one may have come in as a target on a machine.

Latest posts