12V charger with the works

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
240 VAC charging;

The load applied by a 240V charger can vary depending upon the input maximum current of the charging plug. i.e. my laptop charger provides 19VDC and can draw up to 6.32A (120W) whereas my GPX5000 charger is much less and again my AA/AAA charger block.

Excepting the laptop, most 240VAC battery chargers for AAA, AA, C , D or 9V batteries are low load, but as they all differ, check the plug. Pretty well all of mine will work from a Projecta 150W pure sine wave inverter. At full load these pull about 13-14 A @ 12VDC and provide 1.25A @ 240 VAC. A 300W inverter is roughly double the battery load for double the output, but in my experience not needed.

Warning - I definitely recommend using a 150W inverter when driving to protect the start system from going flat. So use them when on the road. I have run mine from my auxiliary when stopped, but I also had a solar panel connected.

As I've noted in other posts, if you need more than 150-300W from an inverter and don't have a large battery bank, then use a generator.

I've found that if I connect what I want to charge before leaving camp and drive to my detecting area and again on the way home keeps most of my batteries pretty full.

I have a 12VDC 120W charging unit for my laptop. I use the laptop on its battery when off mains and if I need a bit more time when the battery gets low I can run it from my aux in the 4x4 or my caravan battery.

If I don't run the genny I can use this 12V charger when driving to charge the laptop battery. Or if I have solar on the 4x4 when stopped. Or from the caravan during the daytime whilst out as I have 200W of solar.

The main thing is as I said, we all have different kit to charge and equally differing resources, the above posts are a variety of options only.

In working it out, look at what you want to charge as individual loads and as a total. Look at what you have to charge with and their source requirements. Then look at the options to provide that source.

It's simple if you consider that to charge a small battery (the start) from a larger battery (the middle) is relatively easy, it's how or when you recharge the larger battery (the end).

Thank you for your input Condor,

On the above I think I will purchase a 12V 36Ah GEL Battery, a female cigarette adapter (with inline fuse), and a male connector with USB. This gives me the opportunity to run the Eneloop 240V charger via the male 12V cigarette adapter to charge AA's or my C batteries and the USB for electronics. Might even get a small LED to run off it.

I have a good 12V Charger and also a Battery Fighter 750mA trickle charger to keep it maintained when I'm home

I doubt very much that I would need it over 3 days with 2 x fully charged battery packs, but it's always handy to have for back up if needed. Any longer in the bush I would look at a solar panel to charge it up.

Thanks all for the input....if the above looks wrong I'm open to suggestions.

Mick

I had a thought re the laptop charger after my post - The charger I have is this one https://www.jaycar.com.au/150w-car-laptop-power-supply/p/MP3472

As the power output is about 25% more than my laptop uses, if you use this device when the laptop is on, the charge rate is bugger all, but the laptop battery charge state will not reduce. So treat it as a power supply.

So, to use it as a charger to charge quickly, they are best used when the laptop is off.

That logic to charge any battery is pretty common, draw power whilst charging = longer charge time.

Mick64 said:
Magilla said:
Just charge it from your car battery and buy one of these and put it in your glove box.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suaoki-P...068592?hash=item1a148f0b70:g:MNgAAOSwt5hYcEzU
It will start your car easily if you happen to drain your starting battery.

So with the above, I wonder if you could plug a battery charger into it (with the 12V connection) and charge your NimH batteries?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7994/1485815935_download.jpg

Yes you can. I have one that has a heap of attachment plugs for all kinds of devices including most popular phones, a USB socket, 12v socket and cig plug socket and a 19v socket for laptops.

I have charged my iPhone, iPad, laptop and detector batteries with it. We often use it to power our 12v tv/dvd when camping in the tent to watch a DVD in bed or play back video footage from the days activities.

Latest posts