12 NF, 8x6" Sadie Or SP01 Enhancer?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im looking to get either of these soon-ish and hopefully over time have them all in my Arsenal. Originally I bought the 15 Evo but I find it very noisy for my liking and have a hard time pinpointing with it not to mention the terrain makes it hard to move around sticks constantly getting caught in spokes. It has found me a sub grammar but took very long time to pinpoint. In hindsight I should have gone with a 12 NF. The Sadie looks very appealing to me and would be great if it can help me find those very small bits which seem much more abundant. But Im just wondering if Im under the illusion it will outperform the 11 commander that is pretty much glued to my 4500.

Would I be better of just with a spo1 and sticking to the 11 and 15 Evo? What do you think?

Both :Y: SP01 is far more versatile :perfect: definitely the SP01 as your next purchase :beer: If you don't like it sell it and buy a sadie.

Sadie is one coil with one purpose, SP01 is one booster for all detectors, all places, all coils - smart money says booster will find you more gold overall, and yes, they hold their value.

Hi VGH, I also have all the coils you mentioned and sP01, given you have the 11" (very stable good all round coil) and the 15" evo (great for more open and deeper grounds).

Here's my thoughts on the coils you're looking at.

12" evo
- to me it's the best all round coil for the GPX as far as stability, depth, size range of targets, easy of set up.
- on bad EMI days the flat wound coils will be noisier than the bundle wound (11" and Sadie) but on quiet days will out perform the bundle wounds.
- the 12" will cover more ground than the Sadie and sensitivity on small targets are in the same ball park.

8x6" Sadie
- excellent for getting into real tight spots where ground it uneven.
- is more prone to hot pockets because of small size.
- better on high EMI days because of small size.
- takes longer to cover an area thoroughly.
- you can use this coil vertically on sides of diggings and gully walls with no EMI interferrence.

If you are looking to seach for small bits and still get some coverage on the ground then I'd be looking at the 12x8" evo, it sits between the 12" and Sadie for ground coverage, is probably more sensitive to tiny sub .1g pieces at 3-4" deep, pinpoints easier.

At the end of the day they are all great coils, I use all 3 plus the 15" evo regulary and the way I choose which coil to use on a given day is based on what the ground is like, if it's pretty open and has a few inches of overburden then the 15" is my choice, if open ground and shallow then the 12" is my choice, if very tight and scrubby ground but still flat grounds then the 12x8" as it pokes under the bushes and scrub well, if it's very eneven grounds like reefy or old diggings then the Sadie is my choice, if it's a high EMI day and hard to get the evo coils to run smooth then I'll put the 11" comander mono on, if still to much EMI the 11" dd, if all else fails then I put my Detech 11" AI on and look for an area where power lines run across workings and make the most of the time I have.

Basically every coil has it's strengths and weaknesses, it really depends on the areas you detect and the conditions of the day. RX and Stabilizer settings are dependant on the day and grounds as well.

The sP01 will enhance your 11" mono and 15" evo, so you've got some thinking and choices to make and there's no wrong choice.

Hope this helps a bit and doesn't make it more confusing for you, which ever way you go have confidence that they are all good products and they will work in the right situations, I still have many goldless days but as long as I'm learning each trip whether it's about my gear or reading the grounds then it's time well spent and makes it more exciting when that dirty target reveals the right colour when you rub it :goldnugget:

ProspectorPete said:
Hi VGH, I also have all the coils you mentioned and sP01, given you have the 11" (very stable good all round coil) and the 15" evo (great for more open and deeper grounds).

Here's my thoughts on the coils you're looking at.

12" evo
- to me it's the best all round coil for the GPX as far as stability, depth, size range of targets, easy of set up.
- on bad EMI days the flat wound coils will be noisier than the bundle wound (11" and Sadie) but on quiet days will out perform the bundle wounds.
- the 12" will cover more ground than the Sadie and sensitivity on small targets are in the same ball park.

8x6" Sadie
- excellent for getting into real tight spots where ground it uneven.
- is more prone to hot pockets because of small size.
- better on high EMI days because of small size.
- takes longer to cover an area thoroughly.
- you can use this coil vertically on sides of diggings and gully walls with no EMI interferrence.

If you are looking to seach for small bits and still get some coverage on the ground then I'd be looking at the 12x8" evo, it sits between the 12" and Sadie for ground coverage, is probably more sensitive to tiny sub .1g pieces at 3-4" deep, pinpoints easier.

At the end of the day they are all great coils, I use all 3 plus the 15" evo regulary and the way I choose which coil to use on a given day is based on what the ground is like, if it's pretty open and has a few inches of overburden then the 15" is my choice, if open ground and shallow then the 12" is my choice, if very tight and scrubby ground but still flat grounds then the 12x8" as it pokes under the bushes and scrub well, if it's very eneven grounds like reefy or old diggings then the Sadie is my choice, if it's a high EMI day and hard to get the evo coils to run smooth then I'll put the 11" comander mono on, if still to much EMI the 11" dd, if all else fails then I put my Detech 11" AI on and look for an area where power lines run across workings and make the most of the time I have.

Basically every coil has it's strengths and weaknesses, it really depends on the areas you detect and the conditions of the day. RX and Stabilizer settings are dependant on the day and grounds as well.

The sP01 will enhance your 11" mono and 15" evo, so you've got some thinking and choices to make and there's no wrong choice.

Hope this helps a bit and doesn't make it more confusing for you, which ever way you go have confidence that they are all good products and they will work in the right situations, I still have many goldless days but as long as I'm learning each trip whether it's about my gear or reading the grounds then it's time well spent and makes it more exciting when that dirty target reveals the right colour when you rub it :goldnugget:

Thanks a lot mate, great info and very helpful. Yeah its a hard choice, eventually. Im sure I will have them all but money is a little tight atm. Was concidering selling the 15 but think it might be worth keeping it and persisting in the right ground. Just be nice to have the edge on sub grammars and hopefully come home with gold more often no matter the size. Still enjoy every moment in the bush though. Spo1 sounds like its well worth it :Y: :Y:

Latest posts