12" Evo Or 15 Spoked Evo?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like to upgrade from my 11 commander mono. Seems like a good coil and I have only found 3 small pieces over 8 months getting out dozens of times. Lot less that I thought. So to increase my chances I would like to upgrade to a nugget finder coil.

Having trouble choosing which one to go for. Ive been recommend the 12 evo for its great all round ability. But Im leaning towards the 15 spoked evo for the better depth and looks to be a good middle ground between small and large coil. I Cant help but think with all the flogged ground I seem to end up at, I might be in with a better chance as I feel the 11 never went very deep on small nuggets as I tested many times before.

What do you think? Pros and cons for each
Cheers :goldnugget: :pickshovel:

Hi VGH , my opinion for what it is worth. I use a 15 evo spoked on a 4500, my wife has a 12 evo on a 4500, my friend uses a 15 evo on a 5000.
Now after we have done a lot of testing we have come up with the following. The 12 evo on the 4500 is about the same sensitivity as the 15 evo on the 5000
Running in fine gold both are slightly ahead of the 4500 /15 evo on small gold, i.e. .2 gr .but the 4500/15 in enhance is on a par with the 5000 and in front of the 4500/ 12 on bigger gold at depth. I hope this helps
Jim

Both are great coils but used for different situations. As youd expect the 12 for smaller and more shallow gold and the 15 for bigger deeper gold and more coverage and better suited to less scrubby terrain.

You have a perfectly good coil in the 11" commander and they DO go relatively deep for their size. It's not too far behind the 12" and in fact you'd almost be doubling up.
So if it was me I'd go the 15" (which I have) as a general purpose coil plus for better ground coverage. The 15" won't miss much of the small stuff.

Seriously though, I'd learn the machine with the standard 11" first before looking at another coil, though if your confidence is shot going a new coil might bring it back.

Stick with it though, have confidence.

Go the15, as tuna said not much difference between the 11 and 12. I've got both n tested on a 5000 and to be honest my 1713 is better still at alround performance. However, the 12 runs very quiet in vic and nsw.
You'll need a good pick for the 15!

I have the 15 NF solid and think a great coil ,but I agree with madtuna on confidence and the stock commander coil. Everybody at some time has wondered about the effectiveness coil they were using .

VicGoldHunter said:
Like to upgrade from my 11 commander mono. Seems like a good coil and I have only found 3 small pieces over 8 months getting out dozens of times. Lot less that I thought. So to increase my chances I would like to upgrade to a nugget finder coil.

Having trouble choosing which one to go for. Ive been recommend the 12 evo for its great all round ability. But Im leaning towards the 15 spoked evo for the better depth and looks to be a good middle ground between small and large coil. I Cant help but think with all the flogged ground I seem to end up at, I might be in with a better chance as I feel the 11 never went very deep on small nuggets as I tested many times before.

Gday

The commander mono coil is a very good coil, and very good for noisy variable ground, but much will depend on the machine you are using I have found it to be better all round than the 12" evolution on my early 4500, my mate had the 14x9" evolution on his later version 4500 and also found it to be noisy and twitchy and didn't like it either, but he uses the 15" evolution round spoked mono and really likes it finding both small nuggets and bigger bits.

If you are wanting to chase really small gold then you would be better adding a minelab 8" mono or a nugettfinder sadie 8x6 to your kit, as well, then you have your bases covered with the small, medium, and large coils, it is also important to select the right coil for the areas you work, as you say you end up in flogged ground well unfortunately most of the accessible places are flogged these days, so you will need work the area well with all your coils, a change of coil in some areas can make a huge difference to your finds as no one coil is good at everything.

cheers

stayyer AU

StayyerAU said:
VicGoldHunter said:

Gday

The commander mono coil is a very good coil, and very good for noisy variable ground, but much will depend on the machine you are using I have found it to be better all round than the 12" evolution on my early 4500, my mate had the 14x9" evolution on his later version 4500 and also found it to be noisy and twitchy and didn't like it either, but he uses the 15" evolution round spoked mono and really likes it finding both small nuggets and bigger bits.

If you are wanting to chase really small gold then you would be better adding a minelab 8" mono or a nugettfinder sadie 8x6 to your kit, as well, then you have your bases covered with the small, medium, and large coils, it is also important to select the right coil for the areas you work, as you say you end up in flogged ground well unfortunately most of the accessible places are flogged these days, so you will need work the area well with all your coils, a change of coil in some areas can make a huge difference to your finds as no one coil is good at everything.

cheers

stayyer AU

Everyone always says what a good coil it is but no one uses it :lol: nah i'm sure its OK at what it does, but if i'm going over ground where others have used nugget finders/Coiltek coils i'm already at a disadvantage.. I cant help but think its holding me back considering I've been out dozens of times and never pick up anything. I have found 3 little pieces over 8 months though all sub grammars.

VicGoldHunter said:
StayyerAU said:
VicGoldHunter said:

Gday

cheers

stayyer AU

Everyone always says what a good coil it is but no one uses it :lol: nah i'm sure its OK at what it does, but if i'm going over ground where others have used nugget finders/Coiltek coils i'm already at a disadvantage.. I cant help but think its holding me back considering I've been out dozens of times and never pick up anything. I have found 3 little pieces over 8 months though all sub grammars.

Seriously...it's not your coil. You definitely are not at a disadvantage, but you've got a head full of doubt and that will always hold you back.
You may as well get a new coil if that will ease your doubt, but what will you do if you still don't find any?
I'd suggest doing a training course.

haha just saw i made this thread, you guys were right about a new coil not being the issue not finding gold. only found 3 more pieces since i made this post. I must be detecting the wrong places o_O i think i should stop wasting my time up at heathcote, i always leave there not even finding junk. Also the 15" evo is a noisy thing, ended up using a sadie most of the time. just cant get the 15" to stop picking up ground noise constantly

Hi VGH;
I think you have a "tell tale" right here..

"Also the 15" evo is a noisy thing, ended up using a sadie most of the time. just cant get the 15" to stop picking up ground noise constantly"

I do not know which model detector you are using with your 15" NF; however this reads to me, as MT stated above, that you might benefit with some training.
Therefore you might have some other requirements other than Rx settings.

Ground noise management is a true skill. Multi faceted: your settings, soils, your audible descrimination, swing validation, ground balance and to top it off; big deep gold can sound like ground noise!

I believe I have overcome the ground noise dilemma with a handfull of different approaches to qualify what's what - and how I discern then test what my detector signals are telling me.

- and I didn't invent all of them myself and practice with it makes not perfection but an understanding.

Cheers Wilko.

Latest posts