⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dihusky said:
xcvator said:

That's looking really good xcvator, spot on with the marking and cutting, and from what I can see in the bottom photo (bit small) those cabs are looking tops with a nice polish. :cool:

You're obviously getting the hang of your machine and it looks to be working well for you, very very well done. :clap: :clap: :fistpump:

Is this better ? 5000 grit w&d , no polishing compounds or oxides

1594028564_p7060005.jpg

I had numerous issues with this stone and it has been sitting around in various states of disgust for what seems like an eternity. It started out as an oval, then a cabbed top oval, but has finished life as a 5.8mm simplified round cut and weighs in at 0.95ct.

It still has a bronze band of rutile that extends through the crown facets but sparkles under the work light well due to the lightness of the stone. Am looking forward to see how it reacts to the sunlight.

1594215646_97b7e38b-1606-4b5b-943e-4bfc4e29b54b.jpg

Wally69 said:
I had numerous issues with this stone and it has been sitting around in various states of disgust for what seems like an eternity. It started out as an oval, then a cabbed top oval, but has finished life as a 5.8mm simplified round cut and weighs in at 0.95ct.

It still has a bronze band of rutile that extends through the crown facets but sparkles under the work light well due to the lightness of the stone. Am looking forward to see how it reacts to the sunlight.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5646_97b7e38b-1606-4b5b-943e-4bfc4e29b54b.jpg

What type of stone is it Wally?

Cheers

Doug

It is a central Queensland party sapphire Doug, it has a wisp of bronze rutile through it that does some interesting things to the light reflections.

It could probably be called a colour change sapphire as it reflects green and gold wattle colours in the sunshine and yellow or green under different artificial light. It is a shame I cannot share the experience of how it behaves in different light conditions with you all.

Glad I persisted with this stone and made the decision to cut out most of the rutile.

Wally69 said:
It is a central Queensland party sapphire Doug, it has a wisp of bronze rutile through it that does some interesting things to the light reflections.

It could probably be called a colour change sapphire as it reflects green and gold wattle colours in the sunshine and yellow or green under different artificial light. It is a shame I cannot share the experience of how it behaves in different light conditions with you all.

Glad I persisted with this stone and made the decision to cut out most of the rutile.

Thanks Wally. Nice stone anyway and the wisp of bronze rutile just adds character. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Thanks guys, as frustrating as they are, I like the non-perfect that nature creates. If I could find perfect stones to cut, I might have a different view :lol: :D :lol:

I scored some old magazines At a garage sale that had an article on sapphires and it basically says I am stupid for not heat treating my rutile included stones :playful: :( :p :zzz:

I think I will need to research and make myself a little heat treatment contraption. If anyone has experience would be keen to hear how you went about it.

Yes he does have commercial ovens capable of heat treating Pat, but would laugh at the size and quality of my rough.

Had visions of skinning roadkill to make bellows and sitting in the back yard hand stoking a small furnace whilst drinking a rum on a cold winters night. :beer: :fire: :gemstone:

Wally69 said:
Had visions of skinning roadkill to make bellows and sitting in the back yard hand stoking a small furnace whilst drinking a rum on a cold winters night. :beer: :fire: :gemstone:

:lol: And why not sir! Got some good Spiced Rum here, goes well on the ODD occasion.

I have done Amethyst in an industrial oven before, to make 'Citrine', but have no experience with other Stones... Keen to see how it works out for you Wally...

LW....

Wally69 said:
Thanks guys, as frustrating as they are, I like the non-perfect that nature creates. If I could find perfect stones to cut, I might have a different view :lol: :D :lol:

I scored some old magazines At a garage sale that had an article on sapphires and it basically says I am stupid for not heat treating my rutile included stones :playful: :( :p :zzz:

I think I will need to research and make myself a little heat treatment contraption. If anyone has experience would be keen to hear how you went about it.

Well Wally69, that mag is absolutely talking cr@p. In fact, in certain stones containing rutile, one will devalue it with heat treatment. You have to judge the stone for what it is. That's why I commented it's a very nice stone. Rutile or no rutile. Beats a black stone hands down every day.

I did consider cooking my self. And did a bit of research. GOL is a good resource. A basic oven was not cheap especially if you are considering using gases. I would suggest talking to Roughtocut (?) ex forum member. PM me if you require his number.

Mr Magoo said:
Wally69 said:

Well Wally69, that mag is absolutely talking cr@p. In fact, in certain stones containing rutile, one will devalue it with heat treatment. You have to judge the stone for what it is. That's why I commented it's a very nice stone. Rutile or no rutile. Beats a black stone hands down every day.

I did consider cooking my self. And did a bit of research. GOL is a good resource. A basic oven was not cheap especially if you are considering using gases. I would suggest talking to Roughtocut (?) ex forum member. PM me if you require his number.

Thanks Mr Magoo, I have had a number of chats with him over the past few years and when I am actually successful enough to find that elusive wash zone I have been chasing and find enough decent rough to treat I will pay him a visit as I know he can do a great job.

I have seen a couple of traditional heating videos recently that have me intrigued and am in the grips of an educational bender ATM so I think Ill throw a small stone or two onto the experimental bucket.

No rutile this time, just a perfectly eye clean Australian pink zircon. Looking at the before and after, I think the investment in time paid off.

My scales have the jitters, so think it comes in at around the 2.5ct and is 7.5mm round, making it a good sized rock. A very pretty stone in the sun and sparkles with rainbow reflections under the fluro lights at night.

1594800389_675248a9-5e7e-4e6b-b23b-cc5094024aca.jpg

Latest posts