⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally the first completed stone off Martyz monster piece of rough. Yes he's seen it so I think I can show everyone else.

1583649493_the_trillion_-_6.45ct-small.jpg

Yes it's dark, but we always knew it would be with a green cross table, given a chance and a little movement the flashes of blue are pretty awesome. Final weight is 6.45ct, and 11mm across, had hoped for larger but but for a divot above the girdle.

1583650329_divot.jpg

It's a flawless stone of amazing clarity.

2 more to go ;)

What can I say. Beautiful work Dihusky. :perfect: :perfect:
After 40 years of sitting in a matchbox in a drawer thinking this was a black sapphire we finally saw some potential in this stone last year. Thats where the journey started. After seeking advice from the members on this forum and others in the industry, the decision was made to travel back up to Rubyvale to have the stone heat treated by Peter Brown. This made it a bit lighter and showed that the potential was there to cut some quality stones. The rest had been left to the trusted hands of Dihusky to work his magic and bring the stone to life.
1 of 3 with 2 still to come, myself and my two brothers will each have a special share in our dads love for fossicking and Lapidary.
Thanks again to all those who put in their two cents worth. This forum had been an invaluable part of my education and decision making process.
Cheers Hugh, our stone has been in great hands.
Original rough was about 110ct and my dad shaped it to this 87.9ct stone.
1583655034_62767108-b925-45fd-93ff-11b7ac7ba23e.jpg

1583655035_ddb9f2fb-9bbd-4a9b-aa2e-7dad3d8aaf83.jpg

Dihusky said:
Finally the first completed stone off Martyz monster piece of rough. Yes he's seen it so I think I can show everyone else.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...04/1583649493_the_trillion_-_6.45ct-small.jpg

Yes it's dark, but we always knew it would be with a green cross table, given a chance and a little movement the flashes of blue are pretty awesome. Final weight is 6.45ct, and 11mm across, had hoped for larger but but for a divot above the girdle.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1583650329_divot.jpg

It's a flawless stone of amazing clarity.

2 more to go ;)
WOW!

MegsyB007 said:
Baz, can you tell me how you create extra hours in a day please?
It seems you're able to do that, with everything you do, and want to add even more now! :playful:

Cheers,
Megsy

I wish I had more hours in a day to get it all done!

Seriously though, with mymobility and range on the decrease, my outdoor lifestyle is on the decline and my large projects will be complete in a few short years.

I need to find hobbies that I can do in my workshop and will keep the grey matter engaged.

So, who is in Canberra that can teach me gem cutting? Perhaps we could exchange skills and I could teach knifemaking...?

Anyone?

Baz.

Everything working in the right direction, then during pre-polish .... #@#!! a scratch, but on a second more studious look..... #@#!!??%!.NOOOOOOO...! :awful: That ain't no scratch it's a bleep..bleep Crack/Fracture :mad: :mad:

1584524081_groan.jpg

12mm x 8mm Sapphire, #2 from Martyz stone, don't know how deep yet, but going to continue in the hope it comes out when the corner is cut, otherwise...... :( complete re-design as the gem will have to be shortened.

The trials and tribulations of gem cutting :8

Been there - cursed that :100: :poop:

A little bit of authenticity in the pavilion may not effect the overall beauty of the stone, looks like the crown will miss it.

Fingers crossed for you both :rainbow: :gemstone: :rainbow:

Found a chip of light blue topaz in my bucket with white rutile needles and a few problems that I thought I should have a crack at.

Unfortunately it had an inclusion that went deeper than I thought on the crown. I ended up taking out the star facets completely when chasing it out, rather than compromising the diameter and dropping the girdle.

Probably made the wrong decision, but at 2ct and a nice light blue, i think it will go well wrapped in silver.

1585797204_58c69402-fcdf-400d-a971-ef6849472311.jpg

1585797270_dec0f0eb-e167-4e3a-9826-fb7023ae4c75.jpg

Latest posts