⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colmaca said:
The owner got them for near nothing , large one is 80Grams I not know Carats :8 I think he like to find someone to cut one or so .
Send them my way.. I've got a new machine that owes me money ! How many does he want cut?
Just Finnished a square topaz today , I'll post a pic when I get good sunlight tomorow:)

1411300542_20140921_211435_lls.jpg

So I finally got out to lowmead.
Didn't get quite as much amethyst as Lefty but got a few nice bits.
My brother found some bigger pieces I'll post photo's of tomorrow.
And in the hole he found them in he also found a 20 cent coin from 1967.Been dug over for quite a few years then :)

ktmman said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3012/1411300542_20140921_211435_lls.jpg
So I finally got out to lowmead.
Didn't get quite as much amethyst as Lefty but got a few nice bits.
My brother found some bigger pieces I'll post photo's of tomorrow.
And in the hole he found them in he also found a 20 cent coin from 1967.Been dug over for quite a few years then :)

Good stuff mate! :) Any facetable material among it?

Yeah, I really want to get away from the main batch of diggings and dig definate virgin ground. I don't think the amethyst-bearing ground is that small - I've been told a few different property owners from the area have said it's on their land as well.

Which side of the road were you on, north or south? Supposedly there is more amethyst on the north side and more clear and smokey on the south but I haven't done enough digging to judge how true that might be.

Anyway, I'm off to the Gold coast for a week, fantastic weather for it. It never rains in September in Queensland - except when I make plans to go somewhere :/ Found a few lapidary supply mobs down there, will see if I can grab some cabbing slabs of something nice. Next week, out to the field. Rain should definately be gone by then, might even make the place a bit cooler and the digging a bit less dusty.

Cheers

Hi all. Heading out today hoping to find a decent sapphire. Still waiting to learn what cabbing is.....and how small a stone can be cabbed?

1411376017_20140922_165256_diter.jpg

1411376066_20140922_165311_dieter_2.jpg

Hey lefty,nothing facetable but getting close.
I think i could see where you were digging the other day.We got most of our stuff on the North side in a couple of holes already dug by others.
I dug a fresh hole next to the track that heads down towards the gully.Didn't find much in it.But I'm keen to go back soon before it gets hot.
These are the best pieces my brother found.

Macinverts said:
Hi all. Heading out today hoping to find a decent sapphire. Still waiting to learn what cabbing is.....and how small a stone can be cabbed?
Do you have a gem club close by Macinverts? You can cab as small a stone as you can fit to a dop stick i would think.

Macinverts said:
A cab has a domed top and a flat back usually produced by using a series of diamond wheels. Used for star sapphires, opaque stones and others not suitable for faceting. The eye below was a green/grey star sapphire about 6mm diameter given to a friend and returned used in this interesting fashion.
1411431704_nautalis-optimized.jpg

Made in silver precious metal clay using a fossil as a model, so yes think a mold was made first. It now adorns a picture frame. :)

ktmman said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/3012/1411376017_20140922_165256_diter.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../3012/1411376066_20140922_165311_dieter_2.jpg
Hey lefty,nothing facetable but getting close.
I think i could see where you were digging the other day.We got most of our stuff on the North side in a couple of holes already dug by others.
I dug a fresh hole next to the track that heads down towards the gully.Didn't find much in it.But I'm keen to go back soon before it gets hot.
These are the best pieces my brother found.

Some decent sized crystals there mate! I reckon if we just keep plugging away we'll turn up something good sooner or later :)

Sitting here on the Gold Coast, closest I have been to fossicking was going to a mineral supplier and grabbing a little bit of turquoise and malachite to cab. Won't get a chance though until the week after next, I'm heading out to the field on Wednesday.

Cheers

Hope you have some good luck with the sapphire hunting Lefty.
I'm going to head back up to Lowmead next Sunday with the family and see if they bring me some good luck finding the bigger crystals
And seeing as I'm at Kingaroy visiting my parents at the moment,may as well call in at Windera on the way home and see what I can scratch up :)

ktmman said:
Hope you have some good luck with the sapphire hunting Lefty.
I'm going to head back up to Lowmead next Sunday with the family and see if they bring me some good luck finding the bigger crystals
And seeing as I'm at Kingaroy visiting my parents at the moment,may as well call in at Windera on the way home and see what I can scratch up :)

Is the piece of agate in your avatar from Windera - coz if it is I'll be there like a shot! :D

Bet it's Agate creek stuff though?

Ha,I wish! It was the only pic I had floating around on my computer that was small enough
to upload as an avatar pic.
We have found some nice pieces at Windera but there is nothing with banding like this that we have ever found.
When i get home I'll post a few pics of our Windera finds.

Latest posts