⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maltisau,

I guess I'm a semi newbie... used to do panning trips up Castlemaine way when a child... but been a long time between pans from then til now. I know what you mean about the holes being indicators... but the general rule of thumb is find the side of a stone,tree branch that is the opposite to where the water is flowing from (the downstream side) and dig in there... it's where the gold should collect and stop tumbling down the stream... something like that ;)

Will see how my wife does tomorrow... may be out panning again otherwise likely Friday... will have to have a look at Slaty Creek this time now that I think I've found a better way in there ;)

there's bugger all water about this time of year mate, several dams have to fill before water spills into slaty, you need to look for bedrock in the walls and find holes and dig down or take a big tub out with you and some water.

that spot in Daylesford is called twin bridges just shy of Tipperary there's alot of gems there if you are into that. If you cross the bridge and take a walk up that hill and followthe track down some 200-300 meters you will see the major workings at the next bend. worth a look :) beware of red belly black snakes they love the area

My results from a couple of days poking around Reedy Creek. Could have done better, but could easily have done worse. I'm a happy camper :) Will jar it up and then dry it out and see what it weighs in at over the coming days. I also shot a bunch of videos while I was up there doing my thing so I'll get that posted soon also.

1456474184_imag11471.jpg

1456474218_imag11501.jpg

Phantom said:
Yes it was a great trip to Tuena with Bazza2210, pjg100, penfooey and harro, and my brother bwalker21.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2603/1449279711_p1060320_large.jpg

Found my first ever specimen, see picture.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2603/1449279678_p1060316_large.jpg

Harro said we should not dig so deep or could have a few visa issues(see pic).

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2603/1449279741_tuena_missile_large.jpg

Regards,

Phantom
Well we finally got around to adding some pics from our trip to Tuena with Harro, Bazza2210, pjg100, Phantom and Bob. Excellent time had by all and nice colour too. Can you spot Phantom in his hidey hole (we think he was on his way to China)......

1456551143_img_4704.png
1456551165_img_4707.png

1456551195_img_4713.png
1456551267_img_4719.jpg
1456551288_img_4726.jpg
1456551305_img_4732.jpg
1456551323_img_4739.jpg
1456551356_img_4745.jpg

GOlddigg thanks again... I might have to go up and over that bridge next time I'm there (it's kind of my go to now if I can't find water at other locations... I'm still scouting at this point). Will also try and find the elusive Slaty creek (I went down Cheney St yesterday in my search for it, as per whereis).
All in all I am enjoying myself which is the main thing... plus got a little touch of colour again when I ended up back at Two Bridges (after my Cheney St escapade). Need a few more vials though as some of the crystals coming out are very dark whilst others are nice and bright so will need to separate them to enjoy the colour.... might have to have a look at the other side a number of the other forum members keep visiting (from my approach it's the right hand turn just before old ballarat road).

I did recently get a job offer, it's only casual but we need the money... so my prospecting time might diminish... on the other hand it's a little under a month now before we move into our house in Sebastopol so I will be up and near the action more permanently then ;)

Thanks everyone again... love this forum!!!

Hey all, I've been suffering from cabin fever of late as its too hot and too many snakes about to go out poking around in the bush looking for old hardrock shows so I decided to have another crack at a creek I'd given up as a slow thing.
I thought Id change things up a bit and try and access some parts of the creek that the dredgers of the 1980s didnt hit. So I loaded one of the sit on kayaks on the ute and headed off for a day in the creek. Anyway I like to work upstream for where I launch because you can not get stuck that way. it wasnt long before I was seeing some nice rock bars and crevises that looked like they hadn't been looked at for yrs by prospectors. I parked the yak up on the bank and proceeded to start on a likely looking crevise. Following it down I found a nice hole in the bedrock that yielded some nice flakes. After cleaning that one out I started on a few smaller holes in the rock bar a bit further up and on the oppersite side of the creek,,, and came up trumps in all but one. And the best part is I've only used the pan and there are lots of more crevises and gravel bars to put through the river sluice.
Anyway heres the take.
1456648995_p1030168.jpg

One of the flakes of gold had a bit of mercury on it, and because I didnt have another snuffer bottle I put it in with the rest and now its spread to about thirty percent :mad:

I have just bought a Garrett Super Sluice pan and gave it a spin on a couple o' 10L buckets of gravel on Monday. I concentrated it down to black sand and then finished in a 10" pan. This is what I found;

1457151994_dsc01930.jpg

1457151994_dsc01934.jpg

1457151995_dsc01931.jpg

I must say I am very happy with the new pan. The little 10 inch pan I had was a little tedious to use and I was classifying with a kitchen sieve to reduce the material as much as possible. I saved all of the tailings and I am now running them through the Super Sluice to pick up the pickers that were classified out previously. I have found one nice little picker so far in my tailings and I am happy to see there is no fly poo in it. Hopefully there will be some more pickers to come.

That black picker in the group photo cleaned up to a nice silver coloured piece. Any ideas what it might be?

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. I'm one month into the game so far so I'll throw on a photo of my finds for the month soon.

JeffP,

It was about 20L of unclassified material.

I wasn't sure if it was a good haul or not being a newbie and all.

I showed my wife and she pooh-poohed my 'nuggets'. She foolishly thinks I'm going to be selling my gold and that I should be working around the house instead.

Needless to say I pooh-poohed her pooh-pooh and went straight back out for more panning :D

Maltisau said:
JeffP,

I showed my wife and she pooh-poohed my 'nuggets'. She foolishly thinks I'm going to be selling my gold and that I should be working around the house instead.

Needless to say I pooh-poohed her pooh-pooh and went straight back out for more panning :D
Careful now Maltisau,... if she ever reads that she'll rub your face in it for sure. :lol:

He who pooh-poohs last pooh-poohs best! I think that's how it works :lol: :lol: I'd ask my wife to check that's how it goes but she just pooh-pooh me even worrying about it, tell me to p..s off and get back to work ;)

silver said:
Careful now Maltisau,... if she ever reads that she'll rub your face in it for sure. :lol:

Nah mate, all good! I'll just ask how much return she has received from her investment of time and money on her two horses. Then I'll go camping for a few months :D

Maltisau said:
JeffP,

I feel like I've just read a chapter of my life.

Some nice returns mate top ground definitely digging in the right spot.

They just don't understand.
Until the money value is shown.
That's when the hand goes out. LOL

Maltisau said:
silver said:

Nah mate, all good! I'll just ask how much return she has received from her investment of time and money on her two horses. Then I'll go camping for a few months :D
Teehee, it used to be the same around my place, the ever running horses vs the gold wars, it never got more than a bit of fun slinging, so after I built a large Z banker we sat down and worked out what I spent on the Z banker and what she had spent on horse'y stuffs, she blew me clean out of the water, now Mrs dwt has put in an 80 meter x 40 meter arena and also a 15 meter diameter round yard! Total cost...............drum roll........... $28,000!!!!! :eek:
The Z banker............$3,500
She won!!!
Now when I cruise off for a few hours panning or a day digging I get a kiss on the cheek and a cheeky smile :|

dwt said:
Maltisau said:
silver said:

Teehee, it used to be the same around my place, the ever running horses vs the gold wars, it never got more than a bit of fun slinging, so after I built a large Z banker we sat down and worked out what I spent on the Z banker and what she had spent on horse'y stuffs, she blew me clean out of the water, now Mrs dwt has put in an 80 meter x 40 meter arena and also a 15 meter diameter round yard! Total cost...............drum roll........... $28,000!!!!! :eek:
The Z banker............$3,500
She won!!!
Now when I cruise off for a few hours panning or a day digging I get a kiss on the cheek and a cheeky smile :|

It's great to know that Mrs dwt still gives you a kids mate :D

Latest posts