⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bazza2210 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1112/1389910184_dsc_2105.jpg

Found this hole in the oallen ford area - pumped about a meter of water out of it , yes it was a 38 degree day!!!, unfortunately no gold or black sand to speak of after sampling the crevices and scree on the downside , thinking about it later and the flood water flow - the gold has probably dropped out before it reaches this hole which is about 2 meters deep (in flood it probably flows towards the camera shot) . Never mind I'm still learning and its all experience.
Did you mean the water flows toward camera or away ?

HeadsUp said:
bazza2210 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1112/1389910184_dsc_2105.jpg

Found this hole in the oallen ford area - pumped about a meter of water out of it , yes it was a 38 degree day!!!, unfortunately no gold or black sand to speak of after sampling the crevices and scree on the downside , thinking about it later and the flood water flow - the gold has probably dropped out before it reaches this hole which is about 2 meters deep (in flood it probably flows towards the camera shot) . Never mind I'm still learning and its all experience.
Did you mean the water flows toward camera or away ?

I meant to say towards the camera.

should have been a good candidate then , but maybe it was worked by others 5 times in the last few years

it happens

sometimes by me :D

( but thats not one of mine )

:D :D

persevere mate , you will find some that have never been touched . and sometimes the good ones can be hidden by a clump of grass , they might only be tiny - only 12 inches long maybe

keep your mind open :)

Found a natural sluice yesterday

1389957721_image.jpg

1389957845_image.jpg

Crack Slapper now that really has a ring to it. HeadsUp
Tommy Knocker. GR & Skip
CreviceCracker. WalnLiz
I could be sent to jail for trying to sell anyone of those on ebay with out a detailed description.

Wal first named it so we might now call it THE WAL SLAPPER TOMMY CRACKER

Me thinks I may have to make 5 or 6 for PA members exclusive use.
what do yah think guys and gals.
Cheers

thesmithy said:
Tommy Knocker. GR & Skip
CreviceCracker. WalnLiz
I could be sent to jail for trying to sell anyone of those on ebay with out a detailed description.

Cheers

yours are alot lighter than my 6 foot pry bar which is a real pain trying to carry in the back pocket of my jeans

I just make them on I needed one now basis.
as HeadsUp stated got sick of carting a 6ft jimmy bar around.

will be looking into producing them if there is enough interest.

freight depends on where you are and how much they weigh.
Machining, welding, forging and heat treatment all adds up.

Company in the US sells them......they are half the size and weight of mine around 350mm.
My CreviceCrackers are 650mm long.
He sells them for $48.00 plus $85.00 freight to Australia
cheers.

thesmithy said:
Tommy Knocker. GR & Skip
CreviceCracker. WalnLiz

Cheers
Just my 2bobs worth with regards to baptising the "tool"
Im thinking why not call it "The Brian"in honour of the big man that put it together.
Not just Brian, but "THE Brian"
Picture this. Couple of prospectors crevasing along the bedrock. You know theres gold at the bottom of that crack, you can feel it calling you and you need to get it but its too deep and too narrow to get to.
You turn to your buddy with that look that means business and you say....
Pass me...... "The Brian" !!!!!
Job Done. No other words needed... :p

thesmithy said:
I just make them on I needed one now basis.
as HeadsUp stated got sick of carting a 6ft jimmy bar around.

will be looking into producing them if there is enough interest.

freight depends on where you are and how much they weigh.
Machining, welding, forging and heat treatment all adds up.

Company in the US sells them......they are half the size and weight of mine around 350mm.
My CreviceCrackers are 650mm long.
He sells them for $48.00 plus $85.00 freight to Australia
cheers.

what kind of steel did you make the chisels out of , are they annealed where the weld is ( normalised ) and hardened at the chisel point ?

or welded first and then heat treated on the ground engaging end afterwards ?

From the saw to the forge.........chisel forged them hardened in water to run colours then stop at rock hard just the tip 15mm them let the heat run back to the point a bright purple hue slide into oil bath........into 127deg oil bath ( to reduce cooling to fast causing stress and fatigue cracking) remove at 312deg air cooled. Will drive it through a piece of mild steel no worries. Same with point.
preheat to 720 beg to weld 12mm fillet weld ......oil bath at 127c.......cooled down to 315deg.....air cooled.

I have been doing this for so long I just know what the temp is by the amount of smoke coming off the point as I lift it from the oil.
I never anneal work like this as I do it through the whole process.

I only anneal / normalize material to machine it.....file it....or bend it.

This tool will last a life time as it will only be used to open a crevice enlarge a small hole.......get that elusive
chunk of yellow.
Awesome for splitting shale.

footnote
oil is used to slow down the quenching process.....not temper the steel.......water is used to harden the steel.
There are so many ways to temper steel it would take me forever.
hardening cooling in water polishing reheating then watching the colours run Ahhhhhhh. Waste of time for me as all steel is different.
most steels to day are alloyed....Take to long to explain.
back yard boys play with that method.

I can vouch for this great piece of equipment from personal experience with the mk1 version. Cracked open heaps of crevices with it and found gold even the old timers with their chisels gave up on. Great bit of kit there mate,

Cheers Wal.

Due to the contribution from WalnLiz for PA Member as well as all the video's they jointly have produced to promote prospecting and fossicking in Australia I gave the naming rights to Wal.

The CreviceCracker is it.

My prospecting mates Golrocs, HereSkip, & WalnLiz were all given Mk 1 to trial......The results so far have been outstanding. Mk 1 was pretty crude coming from me. It worked a treat.

So thanks guys and Liz for the feed back.
Mk 2 is certainly way superior to Mk 1 A Morris Major compared to a Ferrari.
Cheers
TheSmithy....!

Chris,
I was thinking more along the lines of GO and get the Bwian he's a good boy.
Thanks for the wrap my friend
Sure wish you and Dozer could make it to Nundle we always have a hoot when we meet up.

planning a 2 or 3 day trip to Coles Bridge after Nundle.
Gr is already semi confirmed.
Plenty of gold there if you know where it is........wink wink ;) ;)
Cheers
Brian......!

thesmithy said:
From the saw to the forge.........chisel forged them hardened in water to run colours then stop at rock hard just the tip 15mm them let the heat run back to the point a bright purple hue slide into oil bath........into 127deg oil bath ( to reduce cooling to fast causing stress and fatigue cracking) remove at 312deg air cooled. Will drive it through a piece of mild steel no worries. Same with point.
preheat to 720 beg to weld 12mm fillet weld ......oil bath at 127c.......cooled down to 315deg.....air cooled.

I have been doing this for so long I just know what the temp is by the amount of smoke coming off the point as I lift it from the oil.
I never anneal work like this as I do it through the whole process.

I only anneal / normalize material to machine it.....file it....or bend it.

This tool will last a life time as it will only be used to open a crevice enlarge a small hole.......get that elusive
chunk of yellow.
Awesome for splitting shale.

footnote
oil is used to slow down the quenching process.....not temper the steel.......water is used to harden the steel.
There are so many ways to temper steel it would take me forever.
hardening cooling in water polishing reheating then watching the colours run Ahhhhhhh. Waste of time for me as all steel is different.
most steels to day are alloyed....Take to long to explain.
back yard boys play with that method.

:D

sounds like you could write a book on metallurgy , heat treatment , black smithering' and alchemy ;)

no further comment required

( except to say they would be priced at least $ 190 on the shop floor of Miners Den or their kin )

thankyou kindly

HeadsUp,
Your pretty well on the mark with the pricing I'm affraid.
that is with very little margin as well.
Cheers

Latest posts