❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is it, mate?

Probably a simple ID!?
This rock came from the Turon. It sets the detector off quite strongly and is reasonably magnetic. Similar rocks nearby do not affect the detector even slightly. Magnetite? Hiw can it be magnetic but similar rocks are (probably) not?View attachment 9257

Not sure of your level of detecting experience so this may be a a bit Duh ! but smash it ! - pref in a dolly pot.

If signal now only in one piece or a couple but equally strong as before or stronger then keep working it smaller.

If signal disappears or is present in lots of the pieces but a greatly reduced level then it just a hot rock of some sort .

If you do a specific gravity test and/or show photo of a fresh face of a broken piece then might get a better rock ID from someone.

Hi Grubstake,
About 80mm wide, 40mm high.
Thanks for that. If the rock looks like others around it, but doesn't respond to a magnet like them, it seems to me probable that it is of different origin. A highly speculative idea I had, suggested by its rounded apprearance and perhaps strengthened by its size (but still highly speculative!), is that it was a rock carried there by aborigines for use as a seed or grain grinding tool. I have no idea whether this is likely or even possible, you'd have to get an expert to look at it, I giuess.

Basalt? Have detected along railway lines and some bluestones react strongly with the detector and others don’t. Basalts can be iron rich and when cooling their magnetic particles can line up with the earths magnetic field before solidifying and thereby providing a magnetic effect.
It would be hard to judge from its appearance as the rock has been waterworn and to get a true picture of the rock you would need to crack it to expose a fresh un weathered surface.
Also look at Geology maps of the area to see what rocks outcrop in the area.

Hi I'm very new to all of this and have been digging around a creek with gravels like this. Haven't found any spinel or anything heavy so I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong spots or maybe just nothing like that in the area. This area is only about 50kms of locations known for sapphires and rubies. Im just wondering if anyone can tell from looking at these pics if this types of wash would be an indicator of anything of interest? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_7548.JPG
    IMG_7548.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Looks like granitic gravel. Usually pretty boring stuff like quartz, feldspars etc, but some like tourmaline, nice crystals rose and smokey quartz etc.
I think keep your eye out for nice colours and larger crystals.
Sapphires are usually found in old basaltic areas which wouldn’t normally produce gravels of that type.
Opinion up for discussion.

Looks like granitic gravel. Usually pretty boring stuff like quartz, feldspars etc, but some like tourmaline, nice crystals rose and smokey quartz etc.
I think keep your eye out for nice colours and larger crystals.
Sapphires are usually found in old basaltic areas which wouldn’t normally produce gravels of that type.
Opinion up for discussion.
Thanks for the info! Definitely lots of rose quartz around there. I’ll keep an eye out for the others.

Thanks for the info! Definitely lots of rose quartz around there. I’ll keep an eye out for the others.
According to Mindat,, rose quart is not found in NSW... What it may be is a weak Amethyst...or just iron stained quartz... I have seen some that looks like Rose quartz but after looking at it for awhile you can see its a slight purple not pinkish... Rose quart is found in the NT (12 locations) and WA (4 locations)...

Are you digging around the Glen Innes area ? I know the area very well...... PM if you dont want to say publicly if you want..

LW...

Last edited:
According to Mindat,, rose quart is not found in NSW... What it may be is a weak Amethyst...or just iron stained quartz... I have seen some that looks like Rose quartz but after looking at it for awhile you can see its a slight purple not pinkish... Rose quart is found in the NT (12 locations) and WA (4 locations)...

Are you digging around the Glen Innes area ? I know the area very well...... PM if you dont want to say publicly if you want..

LW...
Ahh I see. Thanks for the info! Next time I head out I’ll bring back a few pieces and post some pics to see what you think. Not Glen Innes, Mudgee area

Anyone know what these are? Did a hardness test with some quartz and it marked the quartz. Tia

Attachments

• IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    935.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7691.jpeg
    IMG_7691.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7678.jpeg
    IMG_7678.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 0
Ensure that the ”marks” are true scratch marks and not pressure marks. Things of the same hardness can still scratch each albeit quite weakly. They can more easily be made to mark each other if sufficient pressure is applied to cause the area of contact to be crushed.
If a SG test can be performed that would add more info.

After a somewhat unfruitful search (<1g found) around the Daylesford region of Victoria, I decided to bring home some interesting rocks and quartz with the intention of cracking them open. I found this rock PXL_20230608_004817602.MP.jpg
Which showed some interesting horizontal banding of what appears to be quartz. I thought it looked cool, and would be fun to crack open.

However upon opening it, I was met with an interior that I didn't expect:
PXL_20230608_004732190.MP.jpg
A crimson sort of material under a thin crust of grey stone! Looks a little like a perfectly cooked steak 😂

Any idea what this red stuff could be? The darker section seems to have a bit of a sparkle to it. I've found red gemstones in the same river, garnets or something similar, possibly related?

PXL_20230608_004901455.MP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TomStatic97: After a somewhat unfruitful search (<1g found) around the Daylesford region of Victoria, I decided to bring home some interesting rocks and quartz with the intention of cracking them open. I found this rock View attachment 10024
Which showed some interesting horizontal banding of what appears to be quartz. I thought it looked cool, and would be fun to crack open.

However upon opening it, I was met with an interior that I didn't expect:
View attachment 10025
A crimson sort of material under a thin crust of grey stone! Looks a little like a perfectly cooked steak
😂

Any idea what this red stuff could be? The darker section seems to have a bit of a sparkle to it. I've found red gemstones in the same river, garnets or something similar, possibly related?

View attachment 10026

Any idea what this red stuff could be?
Most likely sandstone stained by iron oxide/s.

The darker section seems to have a bit of a sparkle to it. I've found red gemstones in the same river, garnets or something similar, possibly related?
Possibly related to the general geology of the area (sedimentary rocks + igneous top layer) but unlikely to be directly related to the sparkles in your rock.
Your rock is most likely a sedimentary rock (probably sandstone). Sandstone can contain one or more "sparkly" type minerals like quartz sand, feldspar, mica.
Sandstone is a sedimentary rock composed mostly of quartz sand, but it can also contain significant amounts of feldspar.
The most common sandstones have various shades of red, caused by iron oxide (rust). In some instances, there is a purple hue caused by manganese.

Most likely sandstone stained by iron oxide/s.

Possibly related to the general geology of the area (sedimentary rocks + igneous top layer) but unlikely to be directly related to the sparkles in your rock.
Your rock is most likely a sedimentary rock (probably sandstone). Sandstone can contain one or more "sparkly" type minerals like quartz sand, feldspar, mica.
Super cool, thanks!

I feel the very even and fine grained crystalline appearance seems more typical of a basaltic texture rather than a sandstone. Basalt is made of micro mineral crystals whereas sandstone is generally composed of rounded grains.
Its colour yellowish/brown is also typical of a weathered basalt as shown in the attached. Importantly these weathered basalts can still retain much of the even grained crystalline structure of the original basalt as many other unaltered crystals of different minerals remain interlocked. The weathering of a sandstone will most often loosen the grains as it is the cementing iron rich material that is altered.
There are many basaltic flows in the Daylesford goldfield areas still capping the basement slates and sandstones.
The Daylesford area is also renowned for its mineral springs many of which are high in sulphur. The creeks around the area drain this mineral water and on exposure to air the sulphur oxidises to a weak sulphuric acid. Many attest to the health qualities of these springs but they are just awful to drink. Tried them many times yuk!
Over time but in relatively short geologic time, any weathered fine grained basalt rocks falling from the high basalt cappings into Daylesfords deeply cut watercourses containing this very weakly acidic mix of mineral and run off waters could have its available iron content leached from the surface inwards. This could in turn produce the rinded or peel like structure shown in the sample with the pale iron leached zone on the outside of the rock.
I am not so sure about the timing of the internal weathering and outer leaching events ie whether they were simultaneous events or whether the weathering occurred first.
Perhaps a search might reveal freshly broken weathered but non surface leached samples in the area which might indicate the former.
My two bob opinion.
basalt_rock_weathering.jpg

I feel the very even and fine grained crystalline appearance seems more typical of a basaltic texture rather than a sandstone. Basalt is made of micro mineral crystals whereas sandstone is generally composed of rounded grains.
Its colour yellowish/brown is also typical of a weathered basalt as shown in the attached. Importantly these weathered basalts can still retain much of the even grained crystalline structure of the original basalt as many other unaltered crystals of different minerals remain interlocked. The weathering of a sandstone will most often loosen the grains as it is the cementing iron rich material that is altered.
There are many basaltic flows in the Daylesford goldfield areas still capping the basement slates and sandstones.
The Daylesford area is also renowned for its mineral springs many of which are high in sulphur. The creeks around the area drain this mineral water and on exposure to air the sulphur oxidises to a weak sulphuric acid. Many attest to the health qualities of these springs but they are just awful to drink. Tried them many times yuk!
Over time but in relatively short geologic time, any weathered fine grained basalt rocks falling from the high basalt cappings into Daylesfords deeply cut watercourses containing this very weakly acidic mix of mineral and run off waters could have its available iron content leached from the surface inwards. This could in turn produce the rinded or peel like structure shown in the sample with the pale iron leached zone on the outside of the rock.
I am not so sure about the timing of the internal weathering and outer leaching events ie whether they were simultaneous events or whether the weathering occurred first.
Perhaps a search might reveal freshly broken weathered but non surface leached samples in the area which might indicate the former.
My two bob opinion.
View attachment 10031
Pretty cool explanation!

I can confirm that the spring water doesn't taste the best- first time I went to Daylesford in 2017 it tasted fine, a bit fizzy, but recently I've been comparing it to that iron like taste you can taste in your blood when you get a split lip- so I think you might be right!

Latest posts