❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sydney...
First question is - are you absolutely sure that they are in a volcanic rock (I read your other post on this)? It is difficult to tell from a photo (despite your posting good photos). Just had a slight look of a sedimentary rock.
Secondly - what is the mineral in the spheres - I think you said "iron" but what mineral of iron, and what were its features that you used to identify it.
Such things (especially gold, which this is not) are usually introduced to volcanic rocks (or whatever) AFTER the rock has formed, and are otherwise commonly not related to the host rock itself in any way. Usually deposited by later fluids that travel through a fracture in the rock.
Location might give a clue if you wanted to give it, here or PM.

Thanks for the reply brother i am not 100% sure on anything :) but i only managed to get half a dozen samples as was with wife and kids but knew that they were differant.
4 of the samples were the grey lava stone the exact same type that i have found for sale on ebay in this picture
1601887472_screenshot_20201005-194025_ebay.jpg

1601887472_screenshot_20201005-194019_ebay.jpg

But 2 samples of the same/similiar stone had "rust"/metalic influence on the outside which led me to break them open to see that the metalic balls were metal which had filled the circular holes inside
I broke open 2 more rocks today and 1 more had the same result although was slighly differant.
It is in a volcanic location that has also had gold mines and other mines in the wollongong district brother.
I am going there tomorrow with a workmate as we both have the day off to look for gold.
I but also to take as many samples as i can of everything

Some facts that had me more intested in the lava stone and metal mineralisation also the fact that old gold mines are in a 30min-1hr drive from this location.
Hopefully i have not gone 2 far off track trying to educate myself with google :)

OK - probably lava amygdules - more perfect than I am used to, and almost certainly not iron. Essentially gas bubbles into which inerals like calcite crystallize. They are directly related to the lava.
1601899296_amygdules1365381178896-thumb400.jpg

However not related to gold.

I just read some info on lava amygdule and i agree!.
Is it possible that after these were formed a vent from the volcano hot air/water vent mineralised this metal compound and than infiltrated the basically hollow/pentratable lava stones.
Which is pretty much what you are saying anyway i think ;)

SydneySteelfixer said:
I just read some info on lava amygdule and i agree!.
Is it possible that after these were formed a vent from the volcano hot air/water vent mineralised this metal compound and than infiltrated the basically hollow/pentratable lava stones.
Which is pretty much what you are saying anyway i think ;)
Yes it is possible.

Nice idea mate!.
Luckily the lava stones that have been inilftrated are much heavier and stand out easily.
I drove out there today and collected about 20 mpre of them to break open.
I also found the volcano they came from.
There is visible lava flow down the rocks
All the way to the water..
Awesome place.
Also is history of gold being found there. Not that i found any today

Latest posts