❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stibnite spray? I think....... Biotite? may-be as I have a lump here and it looks simular but not in that shape. Has it got glittering bits in it?... Is it heavy?... Is it fragile? Location found will help... When you scratch it on the back of a Tile, what colour dose it leave...

Ahhhhh too many Q's.... my head hurts...
See Streak testing here... and other methods...
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24758

LW...

I did an image search last night and it came up Schist.... But it has some strange structure on the top of the thin end... That's why I thought Sibnite spray, but as you found it on the beach, I don't think it is a Stibnite Spray....

LW.....

Anyone know what this is.Feels and breaks like glass.
1548809387_img_20190130_39194.jpg
1548809400_img_20190130_34136.jpg
1548809453_img_20190130_25715.jpg

shakergt said:
Does look a lot like schist

I've seen schist like that before when Shauno (Syndyne) showed me an emerald specimen in it's host rock which was schist, the specimen was from I think the Aga Khan mine Western Australia.

SinHof said:
Hi Smoky B, bet that one made the heart miss a beat or two.
Cheers, SinHof.
It did mate......I knew it wouldnt be worth much though as I'm just not that lucky. But there was just a little bit of hope.:)

LoneWolf said:
It certainly has an unusual shape on the side of it... My guess is the same as Dihusky... Garnet.. could also be a Zircon... Pics alone are sometimes hard to tell tho...

LW....
I suspect garnet

Theduke said:
triptamean said:

Looks like botryoidal chalcedony
Ditto - perhaps within chert rock/

This is an unusual one, the stone weighs 3.35ct, has an SG of 3.24-3.40, I'v measured a few times and being small get a bit of variation on my scales, 0.05ct can make a bit of a difference in the SG figure, it's gold to coffee colour and can be scratched by quartz.

1550047806_bronzite.jpg

This is pointing me in the direction of Enstatite, maybe a clear version of Bronzite? It was found in Australia and according to Mindat there are a few recorded meteorite craters where Enstatite can be found.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Theduke said:
Axinite maybe

Interesting, certainly Moh & SG compare well, not sure about the colour though, turning the piece there is no evidence of purple. Also had a look at the surfaces and there is no evidence of cleavage planes, very irregular style fracturing, indicating it might be quite brittle which does fit your suggestion.

Latest posts