My sluice project

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are the pics of the sluice I have made,
1404658367_dscf3259.jpg
1404658391_dscf3260.jpg
1404658404_dscf3262.jpg
1404658415_dscf3275.jpg
1404658424_dscf3278.jpg
1404658433_dscf3280.jpg

Nice build, haven't seen spray bars like them b4 :) hope to c a video of it in action :cool:

nice machine...whats in the sluice itself, is that some type of ribbed rubber with a riffle rack on top? hard to see in pic...can you please take a pic of the components of the sluice on the ground seperately? :cool:

Take 2
I am having all sorts of issues with this gadget (Computer) my partner says it's got something to do with my age? bloody women, nothing like a wanna be comedian in the house!!
The spray nozzles in pics 5&6 are an experiment, in pic 3 I have the conventional sprays but if I use a trommel I rob my space in the box so I devised this idea and will give it a go, the shield on top of the nozzles is retractable.
I had in mind that I may be able to flatten out the nozzle water to be more spread rather than just a water blast? (watch this space)
The sluice on the bottom is 300mm wide and I have incorporated the Gold Hog matting in various configurations, also experimenting with that one too.
I will pull apart the top sluice and reveal all there tomorrow,
Cheers guys and thanks for the wonderful encouragement.

Some more pics.I have a plan B with both the catchment system and the spray system, the mesh in the top sluice will possibly clog up quite rapidly so I have on hand 1/2" mesh to swap with if need be.
As you can see this is backup 2 for the sprays. pics 2,3& 4 are looking down from the drop section of the bottom sluice, as you can see I am trying to cover all angles to capture any strays that might be missed in the top.

1404699132_dscf3266.jpg
1404699149_dscf3293.jpg
1404699162_dscf3294.jpg
1404699174_dscf3296.jpg
1404699189_dscf3295.jpg
1404699219_dscf3298.jpg
1404699246_dscf3299.jpg
1404699267_dscf3303.jpg

hey goldslate looking good mate.

Your gunna hate me for saying this but I can foresee an issue for you, the type of punch plate your using requires horizontal water flow to clear properly and I cant see that any water will make its way onto the screen to clear rocks out the way for you.
The problem with punch plate is rocks fall into them and just sit there, unless there's upwards and sideways lift they clog quite easily.

I think you will be putting your hand under that hopper constantly trying to clear the small rocks out not that that's the end of the world i'm just speaking from experience it can get a bit painfull. think grass sticks rocks etc.

If you can get hold of some of this weave material in stainless it clears quite well even a small section to act as a ramp would help i think. if you get stuck i'm happy to cut you small piece and ship it to you.

1404722630_20140707_182958.jpg

Hey Guys thanks for the likes, I am positive it will trap something?? might even throw it in the dam and chase yabbies hahaha,
But one thing I overlooked was the punch plate clogging and restricting water flow, Thanks GOLddig, as we speak, I will try to source some mesh like you have pictured. Cheers once again guys
New project at the moment is a portable fridge slide for the ute.
Goldslave

Hi Jaros,
My Son who lives in Hunter valley needed to practice his tig welding he said, so I wasn't arguing, he did a wonderful job for his first time doing aluminium.

Jaros said:
Hi Goldslave, do you work in the metal industry and do your own aluminium welding? Cos it it looks a real "doozy". :eek:

and the pourpose of you saying that is?

Hi GolDDig,
I was looking at the Walbanker with the electrical tray type classifier AAAAAND" if I got out my trusty slotter and expanded the holes in the top section of my top sluice to have it looking something like the electrical tray material in the Walbanker, possibly for 300mm or so maybe that might save me some heartaches, maybe!!! whats your thoughts on that?
I will give it a try as it stands and will take my slotter with me and go to plan "B" if it gives me too much grief, I'll keep you posted.
Happy digging everyone, I'll be on the road we hope at the end of this week, Cheers

Goldslace ;)

Could be worth a try mate, the benefit of the cable tray pattern is the fast sections in between opening so your material gets washed and accelerates down the plate. You might get away with just fitting an extra spray bar inside your unit to flush material away form the gap?

at the end of the day mate you ahve the tools play away :)

one other 'positive supportive suggestion' is the spray bar inside the hopper might get smashed by rocks

i have a similar thing except the spray bar PVC pipes are further out at the outside of your sloping hungry boards and covered with 2 mm Ali sheet so the PVC pipe doesnt get schmacko'd .

I have experimented with a few different styles of grizzly mesh , the one that clears fastest is parallel 12 x 3 mm flat bars with 8 or 13 mm gaps between them , i choose either one dependant on the type of gold where i am on the day , HOWEVER , that style of grizzly can also allow long thin spears to drop through and go through your sluice and they can sometimes create turbulance eddies which can pull fine gold out of your riffles , to avoid that i sometimes use perf mesh with either 8 or 13 mm holes , again dependant on where i am working with it .

those small PVC pipes can be heated up with a hot air gun and squashed down to an oval slit for wider spray jet

1405316191_2014-07-14_15-29-22_421.jpg

you cant quite see in the photo but those ali angles on top have PVC pipe spray bars running around underneath them on 4 sides
1405316612_gn.jpg

Latest posts