Identify this rock from Native Dog Creek/Oberon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bonjour All,

I tested a few sieves in native dog creek for sapphires, and I found the center of the sieves full of those strange pebbles.
They are heavy enough as they gather in the center, but they are not the spinels I am used to in GG (not black like them).
It looks very metallic, and they seem to be quite soft compared to other stones.

Any idea?

1397447363_img_0658.jpg

1397447373_img_0661.jpg

When you see these , don't always discount them . Your not looking for iron stone but metorites . They can have the same sort of feel but a more exfoliated edges,very fine,still shinnyish ( like something that got scorched , heating at ungodly speeds nd temperatures from out of space into flammable oxygen environment as ours ) . You get a look from them like sapphires . I know I've tossed some . Now I know .
Oh.. And if there good ones . Worth more than gold . But you don't own them....

Plenty of that Ironstone up there, I think it's Hematite. Scrape it on the rough back side of a ceramic tile and if it gives a Reddish Brown streak it's most likely Hematite. A lot of it up at Inverell also. From memory Magnetite gives a Black streak.

Be great if they were Meteorites.

Latest posts