Crevice tools Yabby pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmithy

Brian Rourke
Reaction score
Hey All
Here is a new item that you can add to the collection of crevicing implements.
it attaches to the bottom of most Yabby pumps.
On draw back it opens flap on the bottom 20 mm max opening.
when the handle is pushed back again it closes bottom flap and opens side flap.
just add clear hose to it and a very reliable sucker is created.
when finished it converts back to a Yabby pump.

Cab be purchased at BIAS Boating in any state for around $25.00

for those of us that are mechanically minded you can cut down the Yabby pump to make a shorty.

Not all Yabby pumps are the same diameter so take a measurement with you.

have a look at the pics.

1388135482_imag0311.jpg

Cam handle rolls over to lock on to pump

1388135575_imag0312.jpg

side view very easy to fit on to pump

1388135663_imag0313.jpg

see rubber flap inside will certainly clean up crevices with clear hose attached

1388135731_imag0314.jpg

Attached to pump

cheers
TheSmithy

beautiful mate

i would keep the yabby pump long though , the first 6 inches of stroke is usually lost due to the delay between suction beginning and gravel beginning to move , and the last bit of stroke you will have gold falling out for a second or two until the valve is closed.

very useful tool 8)

The design is set so that there is no delay in suction as on a yabby pump the plunger is at the bottom of the stroke.... the instant it moves suction commences.........the only delay will be in the length of any added tube.
No material will be lost as it is a one way valve......any stopping or downward pressure instantly closes the valve ( not a couple of seconds) then the opposite valve opens discharging material from the side port. Nothing runs backwards what so ever.

This I have fully tested.......6 " of 20mm tube as suction is not even worth mentioning.

I personally do not use this as I do not crevice in the water.

G'Day Smithy

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Unfortunately there is no BIAS store in Canberra - I was just about to head out the door with yabbie pump in hand. Can you please tell me what the thing is called and what is the diametre so I can check out the local boating stores?

Araluen

The diameter of the Yabby pump is 50mm it fits on snug
purchasing online may suit you better.
It sells under the name EMRO Yabby pump converter
Bias boating online
product code 4320
price $12.90
cheers
Brian

Not very impressed with their $15 flat rate for shipping...might need to buy the yabby pump to go with it and get shipping for free I guess :)

Excellent find and thanks a heap for posting - I am sure this will solve all sorts of issues for those trying to construct crevicing pumps.

Thanks Thesmithy

I will try out some of the local fishing stores as we are heading out to Eldorado on Thursday.

Araluen

I used one of these on my home brew pump and seems to work ok however ensure that nozzle where material from the crevice enters must be smaller than the outlet flapper valve opening - else you will suck up material that won't pass through the outlet valve or jam the valve.

rgds
Barry

Hi,

This is a great idea and I built up a system.

Can members give me feedback on systems they have tried and found to work?

My Feedback:

I made nozzles from conduit, cut a 45 degrees and tip closed, but needed to reduce the opening, as rocks jammed in the valve after several pulls.

Even with very narrow opening flat rocks still got through, but only after 20-30 minutes of operation.

I was using a stainless steel yabby pump and it was quite hard work, just have to pump a few weights on the right arm before I go next time.

The Emro clamp mechanism creates a small gap between the fitting and the pump, this allowed water to squirt out on the downwards stroke.

I reinforce the lid and added latch for tubing, this allow more stress to be applied to the bucket without tearing the lid.

I suggest you remove the rivet from the exit fitting (see photo) and bond the exit fitting with Araldite. Whilst removing the hose, the fitting broke out; rivet tore through the plastic, as there is only one rivet on one side. The sad news is that when this happened the rubber valve fell out and was gone in the stream, end of crevicing.

I think the exit hole is too small and blocks very easily.

Conclusion:

The idea is great but I know want to build a more robust unit with approx. 20 mm opening all the way through.

This was my first trip out and so I have collected my materials, from several locations, after putting them through the river sluice. I will pan the material at home as I need to practice my panning skills.

Girlfriend keeps asking where her nugget is, as the deal was I get 5 days in the bush with the promise of gold, Ooooops!!!!!

Regards,

Eric

1396950535_emro_broken.jpg

1396950555_lid.jpg

Just an update Re:EMRO broken in field.

Sent an email to Emro and the guy was really good, responded within hours and sent me a new unit with pop rivets on both sides of the outlet, great service.

Eric

Just some belated feedback on systems - I don't run material through my emro; I just use it to create suction - water tank outlet fittings seem to have enough of a flange and rubber washer to prevent tearing of the bucket lid (so far). Two tank outlets in the lid - one to the yabby pump/emro, the other to your collection nozzle. Enough vacuum created by the pump to collapse the bucket...this lets you take a short break from pumping until the bucket resumes it's proper shape :) . Been running 24mm to the pump and only 19 to the nozzle, as I am not looking for too much volume from my setup atm...just cleaning up scraps. I would increase to 24mm hose to nozzle for more volume.

Ideally a 2 man operation, as I had trouble managing to coordinate both the pumping, and directing the nozzle shoulder deep in a hole with water lapping at my chin on last outing...

If just using the Yabby pump for suction then you could consider changing it to a hand operated bilge pump, in the process of putting on together but not rushing as there's not much water around .... someone elses idea, there have been previous post on the forum detailing the set-up but if you already have the bucket set-up sounds like you just need to swap yabby for bilge.
Cheers Tom

Latest posts