Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave79 said:
What an absolute load of crap... for a genuine, non-biased test of the 6000 in real goldfields check out Jenko's Gold on YouTube.
Yeah I watched his 2 videos of depth testing the other night, what a shame he doesn't know how to run the 6000 properly otherwise it would have been a good comparison.

Edit: ..... and for someone who doesn't own or have used one you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on how bad they are Dave ;)

Yeh, taken a mate to heaps of spots where I've got gold to try and justify his investment on a 6000 and been massively underwhelmed by it in every single instance. Must be cos he doesn't know how to use it, eh! I'd say it is fairly close to a SDC with the coiltek 14x9 in performance. Has a slight edge over previous machines on targets between 0.1 to 1g at depth but not worth the price. Do you know of any professional prospectors using one or is it only for those with too much money and FOMO?

I don't know any professional prospectors so can't comment on that one.

I sold my 4500 and accessories, GM1000, and EQ600 to fund the new 6000 and so far it's far exceeded what those 3 detectors were finding in the same locations, so my only real experience is what I'm actually seeing over my old areas (hence the words real experience) and it hasn't cost me a cent more than when I had the other 3 detectors, my only beef with your comments Dave is you seem to bag out the 6000 at every opportunity when you haven't even used one, only seen someone use it, although it is pretty simple to use you still need to set it correctly for the conditions you are detecting in to get the best out of it.
There are many great detectors out there at all different price points, non of them really warrant bagging out unless it's a Chinese knock-off........just saying :Y:

Ok, I'll admit that it's a good alrounder, but ffs, that smokey prospecting guy is a joke and he'll plug anything for a price. If you just want to find something from flogged grounds and money is not a consideration, the GPX60000 is the detector for you, but there's cheaper options out there for recreational prospectors and more productive combos for the pros.

They got 240g out of that spot with an equinox 800, I'd love to see someone go over that spot with a 4500 and 15" evo or a gpz and see what the 6000 left behind!

I don't think they are finished there yet.

Regardless of the location and what previous detectors have been over it and how much gold has been found previously, if the gold is not there now then it doesn't matter what detector you use to see what's left.

Dave79 said:
Ok, I'll admit that it's a good alrounder, but ffs, that smokey prospecting guy is a joke and he'll plug anything for a price. If you just want to find something from flogged grounds and money is not a consideration, the GPX60000 is the detector for you, but there's cheaper options out there for recreational prospectors and more productive combos for the pros.

Where not pro's but it is a partime income for us here in wa,can you tell us about the "more productive combo's" other then the 6 and 7 where currently using,all ears here,still have my 45 also.
ATM i'd love to hear about anything that's lighter and performs better then the 6 for days on end patch hunting,cant wait for ya feedback ya talk the talk :)

Dave79 said:
What an absolute load of crap... for a genuine, non-biased test of the 6000 in real goldfields check out Jenko's Gold on YouTube.

Dave, with all due respect Jenko literally has no idea how to run a 6000. Literally.No.Idea!

He doesn't understand the basics znd I have tried emgaging with the bloke but you msy as well be talking to the wall in my experience. You can lead a horse to water.

And yes, I did refer the video in question to a very well respected and professional person afew weeks ago who concurred that Jenko was doing at least two, very basic things incorrectly with the 6000 in this video. It was a private conversation so I wont mention any names.

Its a great video for those wanting to bash the 6000 but the video doesnt stand up to even minor scrutiny from an operational standpoint.

I'm sure Jenko is an alright chap in real life but this video is not a good look for him, especially if he's trying to fob himself off as some kind of guru :argh:

Rush said:
At least Jenko put some effort into producing inground video tests.

Here is another angle hole inground video test by "Jo C" between the 6000 & 7000 if it has not been linked to here previously.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VSsOUw0ds

Indeed but the effort is wasted. Why run a v8 on 6 cylinders and post a video saying that the car is rubbish? Just saying.

If you think it's a winner, great. I'm just giving my impressions of how it has performed over a variety of ground in my local area and giving the other side of the story to balance out the minelab sponsored 'reviews' all over the internet. Maybe their claims that it will make anyone an Easy Expert were a bit far fetched if so many people are making basic mistakes that effect the performance so badly.
And I don't know anything about prospecting in WA so it may be a different story if you are covering large distances looking for shallow gold in rubbish free ground, but most of the available ground in tassie has been swept so clean by SDC's, 4500's and 7000's that it's going to take my mate a bloody long time to make 8000 look like a good investment.

Maybe if your mate invested the $8k to make his money back plus some then he should have done his homework before purchasing, like I said earlier, if there's no gold left in an area then it doesn't matter what machine you run over it, and by what you're describing about your areas it seems that's the case.
For others like myself, the 6000 represents a light weight more ergonomic detector which means we can detect for longer without out aging parts playing up, I don't detect to pay off my machine nor do I sell any finds, it's a hobby that I enjoy and the gold is just getting out there, anything else is purely a bonus.
If you and your mate are in it to make money then more power to you Dave :Y:

ProspectorPete said:
Maybe if your mate invested the $8k to make his money back plus some then he should have done his homework before purchasing, like I said earlier, if there's no gold left in an area then it doesn't matter what machine you run over it, and by what you're describing about your areas it seems that's the case.
For others like myself, the 6000 represents a light weight more ergonomic detector which means we can detect for longer without out aging parts playing up, I don't detect to pay off my machine nor do I sell any finds, it's a hobby that I enjoy and the gold is just getting out there, anything else is purely a bonus.
If you and your mate are in it to make money then more power to you Dave :Y:

Give em a break pete they've probably been watching aussie gold hunters :lol:

For sure, its over priced imho but that's the only BIG issue to be honest. It's a different tech than the zed but still compares well with it on certain gold and not so well on others.

Most prospectors do it for fun and will NEVER make money, even if you swing a $50 detector you have to pay for fuel/food/picks etc. Until the price of lead goes up most people are behind ? But most dont do it for money in my experience.

The real value is weight and ease of use but you can still operate the unit incorrectly and I've been guilty of that at the beginning.

Gold is getting harder to find but still out there so good luck in tbe hunt whatever you swing/pan/sluice.

I personally don't care about value of gold found so I'm more than happy stuffing around with my SDC while walking my dogs but for my mate it's his retirement funding. He's currently up to 18oz with his 4500 and evos and about 3oz cleaning out spots with a SDC.....

Dave79 said:
I personally don't care about value of gold found so I'm more than happy stuffing around with my SDC while walking my dogs but for my mate it's his retirement funding. He's currently up to 18oz with his 4500 and evos and about 3oz cleaning out spots with a SDC.....
If he's found gold himself why does he need you to take him to spots?

Sounds to me like he purchased the 6000 thinking it would put gold back in the ground where he's already found it? Maybe he needs to research new areas & then he might find he can leave both the SDC & 4500 in the car. It will mostly match the 4500 & just leaves the SDC in it's dust, no contest there. If you've got a 6000 the SDC is redundant & other GPX's are mostly matched. Larger coil selection is the exception at the moment.

I'd still like to see someone that is successfully using a 6000 go over his old spots to see what he's left behind. Be interesting because it sounds to me he just hasn't accepted or got his head around the 6000 at all. Likely be mainly smaller stuff at depth on previously 4500 detected ground? New machine regret & struggling to move on from previous successful machines. That's understandable. A lot of people don't adapt easily or quickly or deep down even want to. He might be better sticking to the old & sell the new while it's still worth close to new price?

Also where are all these "sponsored" reviews you keep posting about. Apart from threads like this there's not a lot of info about.
Are you accusing people here of being "sponsored" to comment? Or is every positive comment to be seen as "sponsored" + false & everything negative as gospel?
I think we get you don't like the 6000 so why not leave the discussion to those who own & use one rather than try to discredit anything positive they might have to say about it through the innuendo that they are being sponsored. :N:

Solid Luck said:
Has anyone swung it with the 14" Double-D coil for a whole day or a few hours? I've yet to use it and am wondering how the weight compares to the smaller coil.

Can my scrawny arms handle it. :p
You'll need a bungee SL if ya going for hours on end,the momentum tires ya arms,i got a cuppla 19mm? plastic bow knuckles on line somewhere,fits the lower shaft,i'm talking about country where there's not even bullets about let alone rubbish so no breaks to dig anything,11 is fine as ya know....

Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Has anyone swung it with the 14" Double-D coil for a whole day or a few hours? I've yet to use it and am wondering how the weight compares to the smaller coil.

Can my scrawny arms handle it. :p
You'll need a bungee SL if ya going for hours on end,the momentum tires ya arms,i got a cuppla 19mm? plastic bow knuckles on line somewhere,fits the lower shaft,i'm talking about country where there's not even bullets about let alone rubbish so no breaks to dig anything,11 is fine as ya know....

Thanks GC1. I may give it a shot soon. No pun intended :) . Some places I go to I'm stopping every few minutes. So much junk to dig out. :Y:

Latest posts