Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
private property not far from the homestead.
Ancient river bed workings/ alluvial.
If your still finding duck shot bb's , it hasn't been worked 100%.
Will find it and take a photo of the handle.
It was in some pretty hard compact clay tailings wash out.
But give the reduction idea a go. Where the coil basically has to be right on it.
Might even try the salt level next time.

Sometimes it does pay to make your hole alot wider than your coil. When in highly mineralised ground you can lose a faint signal as you lower your coil into the hole and the machine struggles to ground balance and cancel out ground noise the deeper you go.

When the hole gets too deep to effectively pinpoint I use a pinpointer and then attack where the signal is with a wrecking chisel to dig and the scoop to get the dirt (& target) out ........ been down 18" in pipeclay with the SDC for a nice Chinese coin, without the pinpointer and chisel hole would have had to be wider as it got deeper.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
When the hole gets too deep to effectively pinpoint I use a pinpointer and then attack where the signal is with a wrecking chisel to dig and the scoop to get the dirt (& target) out ........ been down 18" in pipeclay with the SDC for a nice Chinese coin, without the pinpointer and chisel hole would have had to be wider as it got deeper.
Cheers T.

Just out of interest how small a piece of gold would a pin pointer pick up. I was looking at buying one last time i was at clermont but some of the gold i was finding barely budged the scales off 0.00

tyrion said:
Just out of interest how small a piece of gold would a pin pointer pick up. I was looking at buying one last time i was at clermont but some of the gold i was finding barely budged the scales off 0.00

Very rarely use it tyrion .... as mentioned just when holes start getting too deep to swing the pick in or get the coil in.
In conjunction with the little wrecking chisel it works well in those situations.
Sadly most of the time it's junk but I live in hope.
Cheers Tom.

Hello to all
Firstly thanks to Harri for his help on posting (newbi) can i ask what is the deepest on average the SDC would pick up say 0.5 gm and perhaps 10.0gm gold.
Lets assume they where presented in a good flat side position.
Thanks
Brettlimo

Welcome, your question is like asking how long is a piece of string. Depends on the ground, how mineralised, how compacted. And of course how much experience you have with the detector. Some operators are very skilled and can hear the minute changes in threshold. My advice would be practice with some lead shot or gold at depths in the ground you are searching. You will see loads of depth tests in sand or on top of ground. These do not reflect out bush

cheers hh

The type of gold and shape will also have an effect. I found the SDC would boom on anything round and solid, and size for size I believe the signal from gold was always deeper and sharper than lead.

Using wireless headphones also brought extra depth.

The way the question is framed is also difficult to answer.

Deepest on average.

Alot of variability in users too, some like it quiet, others maxed and chattery.

I found a lot of extra targets raking, just a few mm can make a huge difference.

Hi all,

My sdc coil has been difficult to swivel and started making a squeaking noise. The adjustment bolts backed all the way didnt help much. Today I saw a bit of o-ring hanging out and disassembled the the swivel bit and found my o-ring had deteriorated. I removed the bits and the coil moves much nicer lol. Looks like having to unplug the coil cable from one end or another to replace this o-ring. Has anyone done this repair before and could you let me know how you went?

SPARE PART - O-RING, 25MM ID X 2,0MM VITON DURO75

Part number 30-29011-515

1625274791_f190ce62-6bc4-45b6-8515-40a2c92df7a6.jpg

Bear

Polar Bear said:
Hi all,

My sdc coil has been difficult to swivel and started making a squeaking noise. The adjustment bolts backed all the way didnt help much. Today I saw a bit of o-ring hanging out and disassembled the the swivel bit and found my o-ring had deteriorated. I removed the bits and the coil moves much nicer lol. Looks like having to unplug the coil cable from one end or another to replace this o-ring. Has anyone done this repair before and could you let me know how you went?

SPARE PART - O-RING, 25MM ID X 2,0MM VITON DURO75

Part number 30-29011-515

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4791_f190ce62-6bc4-45b6-8515-40a2c92df7a6.jpg

Bear

This Video might help
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF0jPcgqZlk[/video]

Thanks Mate

Yeah I saw that one. He doesn't take apart the swivel section where this Oring is though. It does show me how to get the cable out from the control box which is good. I imagine I will have to thread the O-ring from that end down to the knuckle where this O-Ring sits. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why there is an O-ring there in the first place.

:p

Bear

Polar Bear said:
Thanks Mate

Yeah I saw that one. He doesn't take apart the swivel section where this Oring is though. It does show me how to get the cable out from the control box which is good. I imagine I will have to thread the O-ring from that end down to the knuckle where this O-Ring sits. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why there is an O-ring there in the first place.

:p

Bear

I haven't pulled mine apart but it is a waterproof/resistant detector so the O ring is integral for this type of operation.

RM Outback said:
I haven't pulled mine apart but it is a waterproof/resistant detector so the O ring is integral for this type of operation.

Thing is that the rest of the knuckle is no where near waterproof. I wonder if its purpose is to keep the coil from moving too freely.

Bear

Latest posts