You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

stevewilko
29 October 2020 11:04 am

“Hello"
Bejaysus “Hello" you gave me a start coming up behind me…
“I'm lost"
“Are you? Where have you come from?”
“I'm not sure, I went detecting down a gully, crossed a hill and I didn’t know where I was so I kept walking"
I have a middle aged man, no day pack, no water, a fleece shirt and spray jacket.
It is 11 30 am and I am packing up camp and would have been gone in an hour.
“Sit down, here’s some water. How far have you walked?”
“Not sure. I've tried to walk out and I saw you here"
“We have 4G reception just here where's your phone?”
“I left it in the car"
“Got a camp waypoint on your gps?”
“No, I left it in the car"
“Do you have a map?”
“No”
“Where is your camp?”
“I don’t know, I followed my 2 mates in to their spot in my car so I didn't pay attention to where I was"
“Do you know their phone numbers; I suppose not, because we only press buttons these days?”
“No, but I know my wife's number I think, we are friends together so I can get it"

Long story shortened…. He had walked 3 kilometers South.
Another 2 klms farther south he would have come to a minor internal unpaved but maintained road with no prospect of finding a property for maybe 5-8 klms either way.
Had he chosen west to southwest it would have been 3 klms with visible farm land another 3 klm south. All in all he would have been also reliant on passing traffic (if any).
Had he chosen any other direction by State Forest internal road he would I expect have had an ‘overnighter'.at 2° temperature.
With a phone conversation with his mates I advised - come 3 klms south to x track and turn to the west I am 500m in.
“Oi! I should have you by now?”
“Oops, sorry, I turned left at x track”.

Dib Dib Dob?
Boy Scouts or Cubs flashback - be prepared.
Wilko.

Thanking all contributors for their involvement and the quality of these posts. Prospecting with - GPX 4800 / 11" DD / 15 x 12 Mono / 15" DD / 18" NF Mono / NF 25"X DD

4 users like this post: Booney, grubstake, StoneTheCrows, DrDuck

markie_d
29 October 2020 11:57 am

stevewilko wrote:

“Hello"
Bejaysus “Hello" you gave me a start coming up behind me…
“I'm lost"
“Are you? Where have you come from?”
“I'm not sure, I went detecting down a gully, crossed a hill and I didn’t know where I was so I kept walking"
I have a middle aged man, no day pack, no water, a fleece shirt and spray jacket.
It is 11 30 am and I am packing up camp and would have been gone in an hour.
“Sit down, here’s some water. How far have you walked?”
“Not sure. I've tried to walk out and I saw you here"
“We have 4G reception just here where's your phone?”
“I left it in the car"
“Got a camp waypoint on your gps?”
“No, I left it in the car"
“Do you have a map?”
“No”
“Where is your camp?”
“I don’t know, I followed my 2 mates in to their spot in my car so I didn't pay attention to where I was"
“Do you know their phone numbers; I suppose not, because we only press buttons these days?”
“No, but I know my wife's number I think, we are friends together so I can get it"

Long story shortened…. He had walked 3 kilometers South.
Another 2 klms farther south he would have come to a minor internal unpaved but maintained road with no prospect of finding a property for maybe 5-8 klms either way.
Had he chosen west to southwest it would have been 3 klms with visible farm land another 3 klm south. All in all he would have been also reliant on passing traffic (if any).
Had he chosen any other direction by State Forest internal road he would I expect have had an ‘overnighter'.at 2° temperature.
With a phone conversation with his mates I advised - come 3 klms south to x track and turn to the west I am 500m in.
“Oi! I should have you by now?”
“Oops, sorry, I turned left at x track”.

Dib Dib Dob?
Boy Scouts or Cubs flashback - be prepared.
Wilko.

wow, He is lucky he found you, I have hiked through a few forests, and the chances of randomly coming across someone is slim to none in some areas...
What forest were you in?
he is very lucky man, I hope he shouted ya a beer? hahaha