⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I managed to christen the new to me, SDC and 14x9 coil combo on a trip down to the Redcastle -Greytown State Forest Area over three days this week. Its been 10 yrs + since I had a dedicated Gold Detector and a bit longer than that since I last detected in that area. I managed to find this little bit at the second place we tried on the first day. It went .47 grams. and was found at the top end of some diggings in the topsoil and bulldust. :eek: I spent the rest of the three day trip scoping out the more remote areas and getting refamiliarized with the forest & cleaning up shotgun pellets and 22leads. I was dismayed to see how much good prospecting area has been included in the Whroo historic area and Natural Features reserve which I assume is no go for prospecting. Below is the gold to rubbish ratio.
1601593519_20201001_180442_2.jpg

Nice pick up Jethro :perfect: odd as it may seem where you found it. Could've been dropped, kicked off the diggings or come off the sole of a boot in wet conditions/stuck in the tread. I certainly know all about the gold to fugget ratio you must have visited one of my haunts :lol: How did the machine and coil combo sound with the wet ground, the SDC handles that ground well but can give off false signals when the ground is as wet as it is I only use the stock coil.

RM Outback said:
Nice pick up Jethro :perfect: odd as it may seem where you found it. Could've been dropped, kicked off the diggings or come off the sole of a boot in wet conditions/stuck in the tread. I certainly know all about the gold to fugget ratio you must have visited one of my haunts :lol: How did the machine and coil combo sound with the wet ground, the SDC handles that ground well but can give off false signals when the ground is as wet as it is I only use the stock coil.
Yeah I reckon It was a dropped off the Barrow or stuck to a boot nugget, But Gold is Gold :) The ground on monday wasnt real damp, and the coil combo was nice with only a couple ground noises over clay ironstone boundaries. I was very impressed with the sensitivity of the bigger coil on birdshot down 7 to 10cm. 22 leads and cases came booming in down to 15cm or so. EMI really picked up on Wednesday with the change coming. Funny thing was that the iron targetsof similar size to 22 leads were fairly just murmurs. :8

Hi folks,

Went out for a swing with a mate into a remote location. Nothing much doing for an hour or so until I got a screaming signal on some charcoal near a burnt out stump. Scraped the charcoal and the rubbish away and exposed some mustard coloured clay.
1601673853_1c047c42-bc03-4ca5-a35c-2ec37c6cc1d3.jpg

You can see the scrape in the photo. Its the sort of material that often holds a bit of gold so I decided to investigate. A small signal came through and within a minute or so, a small nugget made it into the rattle jar. Two minutes later another small piece was uncovered. If it wasnt for the screaming junk signal, I could have possibly missed those little bits of gold. Then I had a thought. Better pick up that piece of junk, just in case. Pinpointed the junk in the charcoal and looked down. I photographed what I saw.
1601674385_8d21f548-2064-4643-8728-549634e057ef.jpg

If you look closely, you can see it in the centre. Moral of the story - dont assume and check everything.
1601674667_42dfe146-3e2d-4b98-8bf3-104077d6abde.jpg

Cheers

Les

Deepseeker said:
Well done JD3. Nice Nug!
Yeah was funny because it was at a spot that years ago a mate who has left Vic used to put stooge finds.
Good mate but was no fan of his pranks.
He would bury deeper a bit of aluminum, then a bit above it a bit of brass. So you got a signal and the first thing you saw made you think "yes" then the trick played out. I was first 100% convinced it was that. Took me a good 2 minutes to realise it was real. Spit, wipe, spit wipe. Then see if there was another signal deeper. Was convinced at first it was his stooge trick to be 100% honest. Great mate but hated his tricks. Dont even know to be honest if he is still alive!
I'll add this as a run on from other posts....
Mentioned a while back that all my gold mates are gone. When I first came to vic these were the Guns.
Many wont know but some will..
Darky... Midnight...Kiwi....Nuller...Chang...Porky....Banger.....Rocky...Fraze...Dunn....Smicko
Couple I know are gone but still kicking.
They were all legends in Central Vic

JD3 said:
Deepseeker said:
Well done JD3. Nice Nug!
Yeah was funny because it was at a spot that years ago a mate who has left Vic used to put stooge finds.
Good mate but was no fan of his pranks.
He would bury deeper a bit of aluminum, then a bit above it a bit of brass. So you got a signal and the first thing you saw made you think "yes" then the trick played out. I was first 100% convinced it was that. Took me a good 2 minutes to realise it was real. Spit, wipe, spit wipe. Then see if there was another signal deeper. Was convinced at first it was his stooge trick to be 100% honest. Great mate but hated his tricks. Dont even know to be honest if he is still alive!
I'll add this as a run on from other posts....
Mentioned a while back that all my gold mates are gone. When I first came to vic these were the Guns.
Many wont know but some will..
Darky... Midnight...Kiwi....Nuller...Chang...Porky....Banger.....Rocky...Fraze...Dunn....Smicko
Couple I know are gone but still kicking.
They were all legends in Central Vic

I think your mate knew he was on his way out and pulled his final stooge trick :lol:

7.62marksman said:
After a few years on and off i have melted some of mine into what you see
Not the best as i didnt have the mold hot enough but it will do
I will put the next one up when i can get to it (its not as big 8.( 8.( )

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8005/1602334328_100_8307.jpg

If you heat this little chunk up and drop it into some jewler's pickle and it'll instantly come out a shiny gold. Just a half a cup of white vinegar and about a half a teaspoon of salt would do the trick.

I've heard of Nuller. There's a spot in Long Bush known as Nullers Claim, next to the Granitic Dyke there that some call the Long Bush Volcano. He pulled out 122 oz from his claim there in 1989 according to Tully.

BigL said:
thats a nice little slug there JD3, well done mate!
Thanks mate. I dont get out like I id like to from some health issues so to me its like going to the news agent to get a ticket checked and hearing the ding ding ding bells mate and the girl saying "your a winner"! :D

Unable to get to WA this winter. I have been trying hard around my central west nsw region, but its tough after doing alot of wa seasons where some decent patches or a good couple slugs usually pop up.
For 7 weeks work i have averaged just under an ounce a week.
Going very slow with zed over old ground has turned up alot of small gold.
Exploration trips were not good with only one spot giving up an ounce in two single day trips... the other explores only a few crumbs.
The snakes are now thick as in the tablelands and its going to be a big season for them. My snake senses are heightened much more in the tablelands compared to detecting spinni overhung gullies and creeks in the wa Pilbara.
I found some nice crystal gold that i sell privately and have sent a couple parcels to Beck refiners.
But the year is not done yet. Good luck everyone.Cheers RDD
1602766755_00b8b85a-e0c2-49b8-84d5-3e5a1f84bc54.jpg

1602766755_8fcc54ad-25ba-4c2d-9bf0-12b7329a96fb.jpg

1602766755_ce75f5b1-6785-4eb1-98e7-ab0d6304030a.jpg

1602766756_089f5b48-725f-4306-99a4-c1b12725e391.jpg

1602766756_c09ca843-079b-4de3-b1cc-c22bf54def58.jpg

RedDirtDigger said:
Unable to get to WA this winter. I have been trying hard around my central west nsw region, but its tough after doing alot of wa seasons where some decent patches or a good couple slugs usually pop up.
For 7 weeks work i have averaged just under an ounce a week.
Going very slow with zed over old ground has turned up alot of small gold.
Exploration trips were not good with only one spot giving up an ounce in two single day trips... the other explores only a few crumbs.
The snakes are now thick as in the tablelands and its going to be a big season for them. My snake senses are heightened much more in the tablelands compared to detecting spinni overhung gullies and creeks in the wa Pilbara.
I found some nice crystal gold that i sell privately and have sent a couple parcels to Beck refiners.
But the year is not done yet. Good luck everyone.Cheers RDD
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6755_00b8b85a-e0c2-49b8-84d5-3e5a1f84bc54.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6755_8fcc54ad-25ba-4c2d-9bf0-12b7329a96fb.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6755_ce75f5b1-6785-4eb1-98e7-ab0d6304030a.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6756_089f5b48-725f-4306-99a4-c1b12725e391.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6756_c09ca843-079b-4de3-b1cc-c22bf54def58.jpg
Awesome looking stuff mate! Two thumbs up. :Y: :Y:

Been working regional this week again and with the new 25km zone it meant I could have a detect after work, the area I had researched was 11km from the motel so all good, first afternoon I got 2 small bits from the same hole, then another small bit yesterday about 20 meters from the other 2.
Nothing big but just great to get out and enjoy the bush again and always good when the research pays off.

1603352349_20201006_134424.jpg

1603352699_20201020_175456.jpg

Latest posts