What are these rocks?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I grew up in this area I am in now and noticed as a boy the rocks in a hill behind where I lived are highly magnetic. I have been wondering for some time what type of rocks they are and want to finally find out. Is it magnetite or hematite or something else? Can it be smelted?
1594105683_screenshot_20200707_163143.jpg
1594105693_screenshot_20200707_163158.jpg
1594105701_screenshot_20200707_163213.jpg
1594105976_screenshot_20200707_164231.jpg
I put the magnet in a plastic bag so I could get the buggers off this time :awful:

Magnetite is my guess...

Lucky you didn't use one of those Super Magnets... I could just se you getting peppered with thousands of those tiny rocks all trying to leap onto the Magnet...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Magnetite is my guess...

Lucky you didn't use one of those Super Magnets... I could just se you getting peppered with thousands of those tiny rocks all trying to leap onto the Magnet...

LW...
Never thought about it that way Lone Wolf. Like a reverse claymore? According to mrs Goldfreak I have some "animal magnatism" or maybe she just means I look like an animal :/ . Either way have to watch myself or I will end up looking like this guy.
1594181418_images_20.jpg

Strictly it is maghemite. What happens is that lateritic ironstone gets heated in grassfires and recrystallizes to maghemite, which is slightly magnetic (but not as strongly magnetic as magnetite). Lateritic ironstone is basically iron-rich soil - ferricrete - that formed during a past wetter climatic period. When in rounded grains like that we call it pisolitic ironstone. However both the unrecrystallised non-magetic, and recrystallised magnetic pisolites look much the same and need a magnet to distinguish. They lookj a bit different if you crack them open.

Something similar can occur around campfires. At Lake Mungo the aboriginal campfires 38,000 years ago heated the ironstone rocks. We can date the charcoal from the old fires (28,000 years) using radiocarbon dating. When the maghemite forms, it preserves the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field at the time it forms. Mungo is interesting, as we find the ironstone around the campfires was the reverse of the present Earth's magnetic field - the north geographic pole was the south magnetic pole and vice-versa, the opposite of now (where the north geographic pole is also the north magnetic pole). The Earth's magnetic poles do reversals like this on average every 500,000 years (sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less) and the aborigines then lived through a reversal 38,000 years ago. In those days Lake Mungo was a freshwater lake full of fish.

goldierocks said:
Strictly it is maghemite. What happens is that lateritic ironstone gets heated in grassfires and recrystallizes to maghemite, which is slightly magnetic (but not as strongly magnetic as magnetite). Lateritic ironstone is basically iron-rich soil - ferricrete - that formed during a past wetter climatic period. When in rounded grains like that we call it pisolitic ironstone. However both the unrecrystallised non-magetic, and recrystallised magnetic pisolites look much the same and need a magnet to distinguish. They lookj a bit different if you crack them open.

Something similar can occur around campfires. At Lake Mungo the aboriginal campfires 38,000 years ago heated the ironstone rocks. We can date the charcoal from the old fires (28,000 years) using radiocarbon dating. When the maghemite forms, it preserves the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field at the time it forms. Mungo is interesting, as we find the ironstone around the campfires was the reverse of the present Earth's magnetic field - the north geographic pole was the south magnetic pole and vice-versa, the opposite of now (where the north geographic pole is also the north magnetic pole). The Earth's magnetic poles do reversals like this on average every 500,000 years (sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less) and the aborigines then lived through a reversal 38,000 years ago. In those days Lake Mungo was a freshwater lake full of fish.
Thanks for the info Goldierocks.

Latest posts