Hand Powered Suction Pump NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday Gold bugs.

Im a Newb here and to gold prospecting .
Im In NSW and intend to do some casual gold panning in some local creeks.
I have read the NSW Fossicking guide and the mining act 1992 and also the 2010 Mining Regulation.

My Question is: I want to use a small suction pump to remove gravel from crevices under water.IS this allowed?

My understaning is that excavation with hand tools ,as long as they are not powered by mechanical /electrical means is legal.
My little hand suction pump will be powered by my muscular strength, and I wont be on native title land.
Also I could not find the specific legislation where dredging is specifically banned.
I imagine dredging by mechanically/Electrically powered dredger is the problem, as much earth can be moved quickly and damage will be swift and significant.
I have searched here , and keep finding conflicting views about hand operated suction pumps.
Remembering that the legislation is the law , not someones opinion or even government employee written guides.
Here are the relevant links to help refresh the memories:

Bugger , cant post them links as I have not made 10 posts yet! :) but Im sure they are in the first post of this rules section.

( opinion) Buy 2 of the same yabby pumps.
Cut one down to about 400mm . (Backpack size)
Remove the same measurement of tube on the shaft.
Use a 8mm button and replace the thread that was cut off.
Fit a reducer that will allow for approx 10mm + nozzle.
You want get a better pump for the same money.
Having both is better than swapping reducer sizes all the time.

Latest posts