Newbie advice on PI detector please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Newbie question. I've been playing around with my girlfriends Gold bug 2 at our property in Bealiba, central vic and discovering the joys of hot rocks. I've been reading that it's a good machine for small stuff etc but it's good to have a secondary rig to compliment it. The pi machines are currently out of my price range such as the 2300 but wondering if there are cheaper options to investigate, whether a different vlf or a cheaper pi such as a Whites tdi?
Cheers

Hi mate , there is a used sdc with 3 years warranty for $1800 listed on FB marketplace in Adelaide.

You could resell that for 2500 pretty quick.

Looks genuine too

Hi AdamP,

You could buy a brand new QED for under $2000. PI, designed and made here in Australia, free software upgrades, runs big or small coils. Talk to the guys on here in the QED thread before you buy anything. I bought a GPX5000 last year as I was also a newb and hadn't heard of the QED. The more I read about it and see it though, I can't help but think that it's a damn good unit for an incredibly competitive price.

Hi,

I have a VLF detector (Minelab explorer) which works fine for coins etc. I want to add a PI detector for not too much moneys to use exclusively to fossik for gold.

This is what I think is in my price range.

SD2100
SD2200
GP Extreme
Whites TDI
Infinium LS

Is the SD2100 still viable today? I have read on forums that the entire board is covered with gunk (to waterproof or secret the components). Does that cause issues long term. In a time gone by I used to repair televisions, two-ways , marine electronics and the like and boards with coatings could go bad over time. SD2100 also seems pretty heavy of the battery usage.

Does anyone have comment as to which would be best for small gold in QLD. (Gympie, Warwick etc)

Regards
Brett

I ended up buying a secondhand GPX 5000 after going through all the different permutations and options last year on which PI detector to get. I love it, but if I was starting over again now, with what I know now, I would most likely buy a QED, and I'd still have a few grand left over in my pocket. Aussie made, free software upgrades (only costs you the postage).

I've heard people state that the GPZ 7000 is the deepest detector (although depth is only one part of the equation), the thing is you have to swing its largest coil to get that insane depth, and it's no lightweight. The result is that just about everyone I've ever seen with one runs it with the smaller stock 14" coil.

Forum Member Steve Wilko ran some tests recently on here which included the Z with its stock 14" coil, compared to a GPX
4800 running the NF 25" DDX coil, and the GPX was better on depth. When you consider that you can put a variety of coil sizes on a GPX or a QED, without having to pay through the nose for the coils, butcher any leads and void any warranty, I think that makes the $11,000 to $12,000 you'll pay for a Z and it's largest aftermarket coil, and/or Russian aftermarket coils rather ridiculous.

Hi Brett out off the detectors you listed i think the extreme is what i would look for ,the battery can be up graded to a lithium and a button added to the detector for the ground balance regards john :Y:

Thanks Mike, I do like the look of the GP3000,

How about an F1A4, are they any good?

btu00 said:

I dont know about those, I stick with the Minelab they seem to work well on the ground in Australia

Mike501 said:
btu00 said:

I dont know about those, I stick with the Minelab they seem to work well on the ground in Australia

The F1A4 is a Minelab Mine Detector. Can be modified to find gold. I have used one of these for their intended purpose and are very easy to use.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Mike501 said:
btu00 said:

The F1A4 is a Minelab Mine Detector. Can be modified to find gold. I have used one of these for their intended purpose and are very easy to use.

Cheers

Doug

Didnt realise it was a Minelab machine, thought it was a fisher machine . ?

Latest posts